Mike Johnson, New Speaker of the House.

B-Man

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He, nor anyone in his immediate family, has a bank account. He is in the upper 12% of earners in the country. Sounds shady 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/does-new-speaker-of-the-house-mike-johnson-have-a-bank-account#:~:text=Speaker Mike Johnson has never,a single asset at all.

Sounds like he has some scheme to avoid paying taxes.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Oh boy, you do know--or not--that all those groups were in the Roman Empire, right? That's how early Christianity spread the word. Peter was a Roman Citizen and spread the word because he could travel through the empire. 

That's why authoritarian regimes love fundamentalist religion, it's either us or them, just like with the government. The Iranian government beating women to death because God wills it! 

All BS! 

I'd say that's true in a theocratic regime but there are other forms of authoritarian regimes that conversely outlaw religion.  Simply because they believe The State is the ultimate power and this by definition prohibits any belief in or worship of a superior being or God residing above The State. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I'd say that's true in a theocratic regime but there are other forms of authoritarian regimes that conversely outlaw religion.  Simply because they believe The State is the ultimate power and this by definition prohibits any belief in or worship of a superior being or God residing above The State. 

Yup, Stalin, Hitler, that Korean fellow .etc 

1 hour ago, Tommy Callahan said:

pay attention. it's not the Christians that are out there attacking US citizens that happen to be of the Jewish faith, in colleges and what not.

taking Israel off maps and what not.

Pay attention.

It's the edges of the Right AND Left that are openly anti-Semitic.

Do you remember Charlottesville?

Do you remember Jews will not replace us?

Do you remember good people on both sides?

And, remember that the Founder of Protestants played a big role in the anti-Semitism in 1930s Germany.

Edited by Kemp

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Ok, wrong guy, but point still stands. Remember the point?  These versions of what happened decades before, were written under Roman rule, and could very well of been a "history" that passed political muster of the time. And the Empire totally helped out the christians spread their message to the people of the Empire. Do you take them as Devine knowledge or just something men wrote? 

And careful going too far with criticizing a mistake, Mr Navy Guy. Midway was a multi-day battle. 

I never said Midway was not a "multi day" battle, or whatever you claim Never did that at all. You are screwing that up as well.

Your "point" is ridiculous.

The Gospels were written either by direct observers, parts of "John" for example, or people who were relaying the experiences of the original twelve, told to them,  such as Mark, a companion of Peter, authoring his Gospel.

The "Empire totally helped out the Christians?"

OK, that's why they had them persecuted and tortured to the point during Nero's time of using them as human torches.

Another preposterous claim, as the twelve were all eventually tortured and executed under the "Empire" as you call it, except John, who was exiled.

You call that "help"?

The Roman Empire had a history of allowing its' conquered, enslaved people to continue their religious practices as long as there was not threat in doing so to the "Pax Romana," and they paid their taxes.

If that threat existed they would deal with it violently, as they ultimately did.

Such is the case of Jesus.

By the way, to answer your question, I take them as truth.

I'll patiently await the next "Bible Study by Tibs," entitled :

"How John the Baptist had Herod's head cut off," and "Jesus was going to have Pontius Pilate executed, but Judas came to his rescue." 

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He, nor anyone in his immediate family, has a bank account. He is in the upper 12% of earners in the country. Sounds shady 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/does-new-speaker-of-the-house-mike-johnson-have-a-bank-account#:~:text=Speaker Mike Johnson has never,a single asset at all.

the funny part is everyone knows shady DEM mouthpieces like that started digging to find any bank account so they could run right back to some well about him being an asset or compromised. 

Then nothing found.

so now the conspiracy is there must be something, since you know, it can't be verified or proven false. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

And some people can't understand why anti-Semitism is baked into some followers of Christianity.

All they need do is read your words to understand.

Reminds me that as a kid, a lot of the kids who went to Catholic school hated Jews because they were taught that Jews killed Jesus.

And here we go again.

This is why it's important to keep thinking, learning and reflecting beyond the time you spent in grade school.  Based on the totality of your posts, you are more Catholic school kid today than not. 

1 hour ago, Andy1 said:

Sounds like he has some scheme to avoid paying taxes.

Rumor is he got a loan from Jim Biden, who got the money from Joe, who got it from Hunter, who got it from our bestest ally China. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

This is why it's important to keep thinking, learning and reflecting beyond the time you spent in grade school.  Based on the totality of your posts, you are more Catholic school kid today than not. 

Rumor is he got a loan from Jim Biden, who got the money from Joe, who got it from Hunter, who got it from our bestest ally China. 

Hey, I'm not the one teaching that Jews killed Christ, nor repeating it here, like Sherpa, a notion that has played a role in the deaths of millions of Jews.

I'm also not the founder of the Protestant movement that advocated for the extermination of Jews.

But, as usual, rather than address those points, you do what you always do.

• Vomit 1

6 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Hey, I'm not the one teaching that Jews killed Christ, nor repeating it here, like Sherpa, a notion that has played a role in the deaths of millions of Jews.

I'm also not the founder of the Protestant movement that advocated for the extermination of Jews.

I was going to let this pass, as I do most things, but this is beyond the pale.

I have not nor would "teach" anything here.

History is history, and that is what happened.

I have always been an ardent supporter of Israel and will continue to.

I'm not sure how you get to the point that I am excusing Luther's views of the Jews. They were erroneous and despicable, and it was over 500 years ago.

The guy had his serious issues, but he was dead right on his view of the papacy, the Roman Church and its practices at the time.

I don't think the founding fathers should be excoriated for owning slaves.

I don't judge people who lived centuries ago for what the beliefs were at the time.

Either way, posting something of historic accuracy is in no way teaching, and certainly not advocating, which you seem to be subtly suggesting.

Stay away from that suggestion, becasue it is absolute nonsense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Your characterizations on what @sherpa believes or doesn't is best addressed by Sherpa, though I see nothing in his response(s) to reach the conclusion you have reached. My observation is that you're too closed-minded to consider his response rationally, and too determined to jump to the invariably dopey conclusions you reach to learn anything here.   It just seems to be who you choose to be. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

But you got the battle wrong, which is strange. Saying who you are and all. I mean I read what you wrote and knew immediatly that you were wrong. 

Just stop this nonsense. I certainly know the battle, and it has nothing to do with being in the Navy.

Your memory is faulty, as usual.

I got interested in it and read about it well after my service when I found out that  Wade McClusky, a hero of the battle and for whom the best attack squadron in the Navy annual award was named for, was from Buffalo.

"Shattered Sword" is a fantastic book, by the way.

Anyway, to address yet another of your mistakes.

I posted that four Japanese carriers were destroyed in ten minutes. Someone, absolutely not you, corrected me, pointing out that Hiryu was not sunk until a later strike.

He was correct. I had lazily posted that all four were lost in the same attack. 

Go back to your preposterous Bible interpretation with your claim of Roman tolerance of a group they imprisoned, tortured and killed.

It is far more laughable reading.

What happened was

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Just stop this nonsense. I certainly know the battle, and it has nothing to do with being in the Navy.

Your memory is faulty, as usual.

I got interested in it and read about it well after my service when I found out that  Wade McClusky, a hero of the battle and for whom the best attack squadron in the Navy annual award was named for, was from Buffalo.

"Shattered Sword" is a fantastic book, by the way.

Anyway, to address yet another of your mistakes.

I posted that four Japanese carriers were destroyed in ten minutes. Someone, absolutely not you, corrected me, pointing out that Hiryu was not sunk until a later strike.

He was correct. I had lazily posted that all four were lost in the same attack. 

Go back to your preposterous Bible interpretation with your claim of Roman tolerance of a group they imprisoned, tortured and killed.

It is far more laughable reading.

What happened was

You got it wrong, I corrected you. 

Thanks for, sort of, fixing it. At least you are open to listening to those who actually know the facts :thumbsup:

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You got it wrong, I corrected you. 

Thanks for, sort of, fixing it. At least you are open to listening to those who actually know the facts :thumbsup:

No. It wasn't you. It was someone else and you jumped on it a day later.

You couldn't remember it. That's why you mistakenly stated that I thought it wasn't a multi day battle, (or some other nonsense I'm not going to look at).

I do remember it.

Nonetheless, this is a senseless, wasteful canard in this thread that you have exposed yourself, as always, as someone who points fingers and has no knowledge of what you are talking about.

Stick to the "you love Putin stuff."

It's goofy and juvenile, but doesn't expose you.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, sherpa said:

No. It wasn't you. It was someone else and you jumped on it a day later.

You couldn't remember it. That's why you mistakenly stated that I thought it wasn't a multi day battle, (or some other nonsense I'm not going to look at).

I do remember it.

Nonetheless, this is a senseless, wasteful canard in this thread that you have exposed yourself, as always, as someone who points fingers and has no knowledge of what you are talking about.

Stick to the "you love Putin stuff."

It's goofy and juvenile, but doesn't expose you.

Are you saying I didn't correct you on Battle of Midway? 

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Are you saying I didn't correct you on Battle of Midway? 

I'm saying that I posted that four Japanese carriers were destroyed at the same time.

Someone else posted that this was not correct, and that Hiryu was not sunk until later.

He was correct.

It was a lazy post and I acknowledged it.

You came in later. 

You can't remember it. That's why you incorrectly stated a claim above that I never made.

I can remember. Quite clearly. 

None of that has anything to do with your absolutely puking Biblical and Roman Empire nonsense in this thread.

Edited by sherpa

15 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm saying that I posted that four Japanese carriers were destroyed at the same time.

Someone else posted that this was not correct, and that Hiryu was not sunk until later.

He was correct.

You came in later. 

You can't remember it. That's why you incorrectly stated a claim above that I never made.

None of that has anything to do with your absolutely puking Biblical and Roman Empire nonsense in this thread.

Tiberius Spicoli burned through a ton of brain cells in his younger days, and seems to be paying the price now.

image.png.9535cdd16ca35a3665de712c4f361bec.png

1 minute ago, wnyguy said:

So how about that new Speaker of the House. is that something or what?

I like him.

Never heard of him.

Don't know a thing about him.

But I like him, and he's never made a mistake about Midway.

We'll see how that goes.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I like him.

Never heard of him.

Don't know a thing about him.

But I like him, and he's never made a mistake about Midway.

We'll see how that goes.

I gotta say I commend you on sharing your knowledge on different subjects. I always enjoy your posts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Good work Mr. Speaker !

9b3b052d-1b57-4775-aada-21566ef45222-105

BREAKING: Republican House Passes $14.3B Israel Aid Bill With Democrat Help ... and Some GOP Nays

By Becca Lower 

The House of Representatives, with a slim Republican majority as we barrel toward the 2024 presidential primaries, passed a bill on Thursday night to supplement funds to our ally Israel during the war with Hamas sparked by the terror group's October 7 invasion. The vote tally of 226-196 was the result of ayes by 12 Dems crossing the aisle

https://redstate.com/beccalower/2023/11/02/republican-house-passes-143b-israel-aid-bill-n2165840

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, sherpa said:

He was correct.

You came in later. 

That sounds like a lie. So you just let a mistake stand? 

Ok. And how didn't you know the facts? 

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

194 democrats and 2 republicans voting against aid for Israel.  Wow.  

(That’s how we do this, correct?)

Its funny reading the middle of the night flood that tried to imply its the right thats anti isreal.

When everyone is seeing it. From the streets to colleges and social media.  

The left has chosen to side with terrorist and their narrative.  

That vote was just another instance where the script narrative does not match what we all see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

That sounds like a lie. So you just let a mistake stand? 

Ok. And how didn't you know the facts? 

Another stupid, unrelated post.

I was posting regarding LCDR Wade McClusky, a South Buffalo native, who, through amazing leadership combined with a bit of serendipity, led to the destruction of the Japanese carriers in the battle.

As Nimitz said:

"McClusky's decision to continue the search for the enemy and his judgment as to where the enemy might be found, "decided the fate of our carrier task force and our forces at Midway."

His actions turned the tide of the Pacific war. Japan was never offensive again. That was the point of my post.

In that post about McClusky, I stated that four Japanese carriers were destroyed in ten minutes. Actually three were. The fourth was attacked but not sunk until a few hours later. 

I did, and do know the facts. It was a mistake I made by being less careful than I usually am, and in a hurry.

If stating that four were sunk when actually the fourth was not sunk until a few hours later caused emotional discomfort, I apologize.

You, on the other hand completely butchered a post where you ha d:

the wrong guy.....Not just the wrong guy but mistaking two of the most famous people in that faith ever.

the foolish claim they were Roman citizens, which absolutely were not.

the idiotic claim that the Romans assisted the spread of what was called at the time "The Way," when they eventually imprisoned tortured and killed those people.

Normally, at this point I would post a particularly accusatory ending, pointing out your wackiness, but I no longer care to point out what is grossly obvious.

• Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Why did they vote against it?

I would assume because they were against the bill, looking to provide financial aid and support to Israel?   Maybe they are positioning to squeeze Israel into a cease-fire?  

Why do you think these people voted against supporting our ally in that region? 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I would assume because they were against the bill, looking to provide financial aid and support to Israel?   Maybe they are positioning to squeeze Israel into a cease-fire?  

Why do you think these people voted against supporting our ally in that region? 

Gee, I wonder?

Johnson's actions have highlighted the GOP's questionable tactics regarding concerns over the national debt. Depriving the IRS of funding needed to curtail tax evasion by the rich won't decrease the debt, it will only amplify it.

• Like (+1) 1

Back to Mike Johnson.

Flailing Democrats Hit Comical New Low Over Speaker Mike Johnson. 

8a6fa3a1-f246-4622-ab61-4f0b1cea4359-105

FTA:

The Dems and their mouthpieces no doubt had extensive hate files put together for most of the people who were being mentioned to become the new Speaker of the House after Kevin McCarthy was unceremoniously shown the door. When Johnson was given the nod, they probably muttered a collective, "Who?!?!?" like the rest of us. 

“As has been mentioned here before, the worst things that the Democrats have been able to come up with when whining about Johnson is that he likes Donald Trump, and he loves Jesus, neither of whom is popular with the Left.”  Johnson's detractors would love this to be "history's greatest monster" stuff, but it's not. The base might reflexively fork over a few bucks at the mention of the trigger words, but they're most likely looking for something juicier. 

{snip}

There was a time when the Democrats were perceived as more in touch with common folks and Republicans were the upper-crust elitists, but that is no longer the case. Dems are probably truly aghast that Johnson isn't landed gentry, which is a stark contrast to the last person they had occupying his office. At the height of the pandemic, Granny Boxwine did a television interview where she showed off the two freezers full of ice cream helping her get through the hell of lockdown. A real woman of the people, that Nancy Pelosi. 

Since we're always honest with each other here, I like the idea of a politician who hasn't focused on working the back channels for personal financial gain being in a position of power. Wealthy members of Congress are far too cavalier with how they spend the taxpayers' money. Someone who understands what a household budget is would be greatly appreciated. 

https://pjmedia.com/stephen-kruiser/2023/11/03/the-morning-briefing-flailing-democrats-hit-comical-new-low-over-speaker-mike-johnson-n4923576

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

NOV 01, 2023, 07:16 PM | 118TH CONGRESS, 1ST SESSION

Vote Question: On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree

Declaring it is the policy of the United States that a nuclear Islamic Republic of Iran is not acceptable.

Vote Type: 2/3 Yea-And-Nay

never saw that in the news. 

https://news.antiwar.com/2023/11/02/house-passes-resolution-that-suggests-using-force-against-iran/

The House on Wednesday passed a resolution that suggested the US would use force against Iran in the future in the name of preventing the country from acquiring nuclear weapons.

The resolution says a nuclear-armed Iran is “unacceptable” and declares that it’s the policy of the US to “use all means necessary to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.”

https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/2023560

The resolution passed in a vote of 354-53, with 50 Democrats and three Republicans voting against the measure. Explaining his opposition, Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) because it seemed like a call for war.

“Yesterday Congress passed a resolution (354 to 53) that claims Iran possesses all it needs for a nuclear weapon,” Massie wrote on X. “The same resolution says the US should ‘use all means necessary to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.’ Seems like a call for war on Iran. I voted No.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

makes sense why it was quiet though. had more than 150 dems vote yes. 

their voters/supporters would not like to hear that.

Same with Blinken going to Israel. He probably said that we totally support them.  but the media and politicians push the narrative about a cease fire.

then the mob keeps yelling about the right and  Bibi the war monger.

• Agree 1