Bills @ Patriots Post game thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, Bob Jones said:

Went to my DVR after the game and watched it. It was very, very close. Not sure how they picked up a flag though without stopping for an actual video review. Only thing I figure is that the refs at NFL HQ in NY reviewed it, then called down to the crew on the field and told them it was too close to call....but is that even allowed to happen? I know in some previous games, announcers have alluded to the fact that "the NFL guys in NY looked at it" when the situation was the same...no stoppage in play was done for the refs on the field to go look at it. Oh well, SCREWED AGAIN! LOL

It’s called an expedited review, but I thought that was more for things like an obvious incomplete pass, or a foot going out of bounds. Not picking up a flag.

54 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Went to my DVR after the game and watched it. It was very, very close. Not sure how they picked up a flag though without stopping for an actual video review. Only thing I figure is that the refs at NFL HQ in NY reviewed it, then called down to the crew on the field and told them it was too close to call....but is that even allowed to happen? I know in some previous games, announcers have alluded to the fact that "the NFL guys in NY looked at it" when the situation was the same...no stoppage in play was done for the refs on the field to go look at it. Oh well, SCREWED AGAIN! LOL

It would have been a very close, ticky tack call that had absolutely nothing to do with the play. Is that what we’re crying about now? How about making a tackle?

Edited by vincec
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

blaming allen is ridiculous. the first play on offense was his fault, but he was scrambling for his life out there today and still did enough to win the game

Always the same story.  Looks that way because he doesn’t throw on time, holds the ball, and scrambles around going off script.  Nothing is on schedule.

How often did we have a free rusher closing in on Mac just to not get home because he hit his back foot and got rid of the ball?

4 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

would not have gotten me banned.  I would have been redirected to the Kyler Murray thread.

I'm not trying to backdoor slide it in.

the problem is with josh.  we all can tell from the first series whether he is good josh or bad josh that day.

Josh discusses it some when he is on podcasts.  Indirectly admitting he could be doing more things like study.   And what happened to his devotion to off-season QB school.

Anyway, the problem with all of this is Josh.  And coaches afraid to force any issues.

This whole conversation is silly, and a sad attempt at nosing into Josh's personal life/relationships. No matter how sluggish our offense looked in the beginning, Josh showed some clutch mental abilities, getting two scores, last one for the go ahead lead, to get the team ahead and possibly win the game for the team. It was like an uglier version of The Chiefs divisional game.

Can we for once put some blame on other aspects of this team? We have a conservative coach and the defense bails on us when we need them most. Dorsey is an issue, but keeping our biggest weapon(Josh) on a leash has done more harm than good, and I am not sure that is on Dorsey. Our special teams sucks this year. I mean, we could throw blame around but I guess if you are the QB, you get the bulk of it, no matter how unfair or not that is.

• Like (+1) 1

In this thread it was suggested by a few that maybe we should try letting Josh run the offense.  Kelly did it pretty well, but my question is could Josh?   Is Josh capable of rapidly detecting and understanding what the defense is doing and figuring out plays to call that would be successful?  He'd probably need input from offensive coordinators who get a better view of the whole field, but I think it might be worth experimenting with at this point (doesn't seem it could hurt).   What if you just let him start the game doing it and commit to letting him have at least a half?

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Always the same story.  Looks that way because he doesn’t throw on time, holds the ball, and scrambles around going off script.  Nothing is on schedule.

How often did we have a free rusher closing in on Mac just to not get home because he hit his back foot and got rid of the ball?

Ah, a feat Mac Jones could really only accomplish against our sad defense! He has not exactly been lighting it up, but any bad QB can feel good about themselves when playing our defense. No matter how poorly our defense plays at times, they will always have the comfort of knowing Dorsey and Josh will get all the blame.

33 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

Except his shoulder is banged up. It's hurting his consistency and would only get worse if you start running him intentionally. That's the conundrum with Allen. Not running takes away his superpower, but running damages what he needs to be able to consistently do, which is make accurate throws.

The thing is, every single time he has gotten banged up, it has been in the pocket or behind the LOS.  He has never gotten hurt while running.  He may be banged up now, but should be back to normal in a couple weeks.  This offense will not get better until you either let him start being himself again or you completely overhaul it and make it an under center offense that uses play action a lot.  You have to get the defense to respect the run, especially Allen's ability to take off at any time.  Right now, they have no reason to do so and that is why the same offense that used to be one of the most dynamic in the league is now easy to defend.  

49 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

All 4 teams in the north are going to be tough for us to catch. If this team misses the playoffs it will be a complete disgrace and there’s a real good chance that it happens 

Agreed. The AFC North is ridiculous and they might all get in, leaving room only for the division winners and I don't see us catching up to Miami.

Sad times and I am trying to come to peace with this.

They had 10 points with 6 minutes left in the game. That has been a recurring theme the last 3 weeks. Offense needed to step up with so many key players injured on defense.

Defense is also hurt by draft failures-- none of Beane's picks have become high impact players (mostly marginal rotation guys).

Edited by par73

9 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

blaming allen is ridiculous. the first play on offense was his fault, but he was scrambling for his life out there today and still did enough to win the game

Then just blame him for the INT or the Diggs overthrow or the passes to no one.

Many of those happened when he had a clean pocket or what passes for one in the NFL.

It is never black and white, but the times he had time and space to operate he really struggled today. And I have no problem blaming him for those.

I also think the OL often struggled in the first half figuring out protections or just holding their blocks.

It was both.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

Ah, a feat Mac Jones could really only accomplish against our sad defense! He has not exactly been lighting it up, but any bad QB can feel good about themselves when playing our defense. No matter how poorly our defense plays at times, they will always have the comfort of knowing Dorsey and Josh will get all the blame.

Ah yes, our fully intact elite offense with 10 points with seven minutes left in the game, just like the last two crap performances and 4 of 7…. But let’s blame the mash unit

Just now, maddenboy said:

honestly, i think Josh could be the actual, no reservations, best QB ever to play this game.

Imagine if he had Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Kobe Bryant, fanatical desire to be the very best ever.

But its gotta come from Josh.   And also, it would help if we had a coach or two who could push the right buttons and hold him accountable.   But its Josh.

Like i said, we ALL know, from the first series or two, which Josh showed up for the game that day.  It seems like even Josh knows it in real time.

I don't know what his deal is, if there is even a deal, and hell, maybe there is. He could have something going on, but I guess what I am trying to say is I don't think he was the problem today. I mean, it wasn't his best game, but he came through when we needed him most, and we still lost. Sure, the INT did not help, or some of his missed throws, but there was a lot going on in this game and I would put him toward the bottom of the totem pole in the blame game. 

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Ah yes, our fully intact elite offense with 10 points with seven minutes left in the game, just like the last two crap performances and 4 of 7…. But let’s blame the mash unit

Yep, I will blame the mash unit. I mean, for Josh, he never gets any grace when he is dealing with an injury, whether it's his elbow or shoulder, but the mash unit which still consists of Von, Poyer, Hyde, Taron Johnson, AJ etc still a pretty solid group, playing against two garbage teams in a row, one that can't score more than 12 points a game, yet allowed them to march down the field, and worse, march down the field to get a TD after we finally get a lead. If anything, that should have given them all the momentum. It didn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

I don't know what his deal is, if there is even a deal, and hell, maybe there is. He could have something going on, but I guess what I am trying to say is I don't think he was the problem today. I mean, it wasn't his best game, but he came through when we needed him most, and we still lost. Sure, the INT did not help, or some of his missed throws, but there was a lot going on in this game and I would put him toward the bottom of the totem pole in the blame game. 

Agree about today.   We dont have enough paper towels to clean up all the messes today.

Beyond josh, Dorsey is in over his head and i think if he were honest, he would admit it too.   He seems afraid to do what we do best, over and over and over and over until they stop it.   And to have a counter (or 3) ready for when they try to adjust.   I seldom see a play in the first quarter that seems to be setting up something for later in the game.  Each play seems like an island unto itself.   So overall, we have no identity.

Also, the team "sleepwalks" (as many here have termed it).   No fire.   To the point that when we DO play with some fire, it seems so unusual that we rush here to praise it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, maddenboy said:

Agree about today.   We dont have enough paper towels to clean up all the messes today.

Beyond josh, Dorsey is in over his head and i think if he were honest, he would admit it too.   He seems afraid to do what we do best, over and over and over and over until they stop it.   And to have a counter (or 3) ready for when they try to adjust.   I seldom see a play in the first quarter that seems to be setting up something for later in the game.  Each play seems like an island unto itself.   So overall, we have no identity.

Also, the team "sleepwalks" (as many here have termed it).   No fire.   To the point that when we DO play with some fire, it seems so unusual that we rush here to praise it. 

Completely agree, and it's a bummer. It feels like each week they just try and see what will stick.

I think it's time to just let Josh go back to his old ways and playing style. Is it reckless? Sure, a little I guess, but a lot more effective than what we are seeing these days. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.