It dawned on me tonight that out of the FIVE DIVISION WINNERS we play, we only play ONE at home

BillsFan619

And? Bills are very good away from home.  There is no real advantage for those teams. Home teams actually have a losing record this year,. so it's no longer any real advantage statistically.

Edited by Big Turk

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The London game against the Jags was an absolute eff you but they made up for it with extra time to prepare for KC and CIN.  

Definitely was an eff you, but the Bills could have flown out asap instead of waiting to leave Thursday I believe. That might've help them acclimate to the time change and jet lag. 

• Agree 1

Under Josh Allen, I've always felt like he and the offense have had some of their best games on the road, so road games against anyone don't bother me too much.  This year has started a little iffy...with the Jets meltdown and the sleepy London game.  Hopefully they get right at New England.

The NFL schedule rotation is actually brilliant. Timing is everything on when you play the opponents, as to how good or lousy that opponent is.

On that note, the whole AFC South division, it seems there's no team that screams " rivalry." The oddest division in the NFL IMHO.

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Definitely was an eff you, but the Bills could have flown out asap instead of waiting to leave Thursday I believe. That might've help them acclimate to the time change and jet lag. 

The sports science on this says if you can’t get there a couple weeks early to acclimate to the time change , then go as late as possible. A few days won’t make a significant difference. 

• Agree 1

By this time every year, we realize that the preseason strength evaluations of the various teams and divisions, are all hit or miss.  By the time we play a team later in the year, they could be better or worse (injuries) than they are now.  Just play the games and don't worry about it.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

The sports science on this says if you can’t get there a couple weeks early to acclimate to the time change , then go as late as possible. A few days won’t make a significant difference. 

That's what we heard the Bills say about sport science, but I've never seen anything other than that.  I'd like to know how many sports and how many games are the basis for their conclusions.  Show us the data, please.

• Like (+1) 1

I arrived in London on the same day as the Bills.  I was groggy and off of a normal sleep schedule for 3 or 4 days before finally becoming adjusted to the time zone.  That's clearly anecdotal, but Travis Etienne made some comments about feeling off for their first game there, but feeling much better for the 2nd one.  Baltimore also went out there Thursday/Friday for their previous London game and got killed, so they changed their routine and went out Monday/Tuesday this time and played much better this time and won in a rout (against Tennessee who went out there Thursday/Friday).  Again anecdotal, but I was shocked that the Bills didn't get out there by Tuesday and predicted that a Friday arrival was not going to be in their favor.  I fully admit that I have not read the sports science on this topic, but common sense says that the human body/brain needs a few days to adjust to a new time zone.

Edited by msw2112

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

I arrived in London on the same day as the Bills.  I was groggy and off of a normal sleep schedule for 3 or 4 days before finally becoming adjusted to the time zone.  That's clearly anecdotal, but Travis Etienne made some comments about feeling off for their first game there, but feeling much better for the 2nd one.  Baltimore also went out there Thursday/Friday for their previous London game and got killed, so they changed their routine and went out Monday/Tuesday this time and played much better this time and won in a rout (against Tennessee who went out there Thursday/Friday).  Again anecdotal, but I was shocked that the Bills didn't get out there by Tuesday and predicted that a Friday arrival was not going to be in their favor.  I fully admit that I have not read the sports science on this topic, but common sense says that the human body/brain needs a few days to adjust to a new time zone.

I don’t claim to be a sports scientist or anything like it, but sure I can see Etienne and the Jags being closer to acclimated after almost 10 days. The Bills weren’t going to be able to do that . This was discussed heavily before the game and I’m simply repeating the information reported at the time. The good news is these games only come up every 5-8 years or something like that. 

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

By this time every year, we realize that the preseason strength evaluations of the various teams and divisions, are all hit or miss.  By the time we play a team later in the year, they could be better or worse (injuries) than they are now.  Just play the games and don't worry about it.

That's what we heard the Bills say about sport science, but I've never seen anything other than that.  I'd like to know how many sports and how many games are the basis for their conclusions.  Show us the data, please.

You can probably get someone to cite any study to match ones opinion. Why not look it up for yourself if you’re curious. I don’t know what studies they used or how many other teams they talked to. It seems many teams have gone about it the same way , so take it for what it’s worth. 

I don’t claim to be a sports scientist or anything like it, but sure I can see Etienne and the Jags being closer to acclimated after almost 10 days. The Bills weren’t going to be able to do that . This was discussed heavily before the game and I’m simply repeating the information reported at the time. The good news is these games only come up every 5-8 years or something like that. 

You can probably get someone to cite any study to match ones opinion. Why not look it up for yourself if you’re curious. I don’t know what studies they used or how many other teams they talked to. It seems many teams have gone about it the same way , so take it for what it’s worth. 

I don't live in Buffalo anymore (although I try to keep up on the local Bills news coming out of Buffalo) and I was super busy in the days before the game trying to get ready for my trip to Europe, so I had not heard this reported or discussed before the game.  It's a fair point.

I'd still say that getting out there as soon as you can is the best option.  Having 5 days to overcome jetlag and acclimate to a new time zone is better than having 2 (and the Bills had perhaps a little less than that).  It seemed to work for the Ravens, who had done it the other way around on their previous trip out there and had the opposite result.  My own experience traveling internationally says that it takes 3+ days to adjust and feel "normal again" although I admit that the only international athletic competition I ever participated in was hockey tournaments in the Toronto area as a kid.  It didn't take much time to recover from the long drive up the QEW.

6 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

The NFL schedule rotation is actually brilliant. Timing is everything on when you play the opponents, as to how good or lousy that opponent is.

On that note, the whole AFC South division, it seems there's no team that screams " rivalry." The oddest division in the NFL IMHO.

Mijami should be moved into the South.  Put the Colts back to the East.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.