Would you trade AJ Epenesa?

Buffalo_Stampede

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why do say that? Thats if you’re trading a disappointing player.

Because as you admitted yourself NFL teams do not really trade away productive young players. 

Most of the trades at the deadline are for older guys off bad teams having a fire sale. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because as you admitted yourself NFL teams do not really trade away productive young players. 

Most of the trades at the deadline are for older guys off bad teams having a fire sale. 

Teams don’t typically have a 4th edge rusher the caliber of Epenesa either. 

I also made the thread based on how well Kingsley Jonathan looks. It’s a rare situation that the Bills might be able to find a trade partner and strengthen a position hurt by injuries.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Teams don’t typically have a 4th edge rusher the caliber of Epenesa either. 

I also made the thread based on how well Kingsley Jonathan looks. It’s a rare situation that the Bills might be able to find a trade partner and strengthen a position hurt by injuries.

Yes but you need ANOTHER team willing to give you a productive young player in return. That is the bit I consider very unlikely. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Or a Klondike Bar.  What would YOU do for a Klondike Bar? 🤔
Or Edmunds.

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Once Von is full go we’ll have Rousseau, Miller, Floyd, Lawson, and Jonathan. Jonathan has shown promise.

Epenesa’s value won’t be any higher. He’s playing good football. The other option is extending him to pair with Rousseau in the future.

With the injuries Epenesa could bring back a solid player to help at CB or LB.

👎 👎  👎 👎  👎   👎  👎 👎  👎   👎  👎 👎  👎  👎  👎 👎  👎  👎  👎 👎  👎  👎  👎 👎  👎

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Right. The other team would have to have depth at a position we need or a player they don’t think they will sign.

And who is young and productive. The middle of the ven diagram is so miniscule as to barely exist. That is my point. So the likelihood is you won't get back better value than you'd get in comp picks if he ends up being paid by someone else in FA.

What your proposing is the type of trade that MLB and NHL teams make all the time. Like the Sabres have a ton of forward depth so they might trade an asset there for some D. But NFL teams don’t usually make those trades because of how the cap works. And a rebuilding team like the Broncos don’t want your players; they want dem picks. 

40 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s the whole reason you trade him, to win a Super Bowl.

I don’t think he’s going to get a return that will win us a Super Bowl.  I’d rather keep him so when another DE gets hurt, we aren’t in the same position as last season’s 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And who is young and productive. The middle of the ven diagram is so miniscule as to barely exist. That is my point. So the likelihood is you won't get back better value than you'd get in comp picks if he ends up being paid by someone else in FA.

What if the Bills knew they aren’t signing Epenesa and looked at a team like the Giants.

Adoree Jackson and Leonard Williams possibly available. They might want AJ Epenesa. Those 2 players would really help the Bills this year.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What if the Bills knew they aren’t signing Epenesa and looked at a team like the Giants.

Adoree Jackson and Leonard Williams possibly available. They might want AJ Epenesa. Those 2 players would really help the Bills this year.

Do you want to trade Epenesa, a DE who is playing out of his mind right now, for another DE in Leonard Williams? Or are you thinking about a two-for-one trade? Both of those players have pretty large contracts too.

If I'm the Bills moving forward, the next iteration of this Defense (starting next year) builds around the following:

-Rousseau

-AJE

-Oliver

-Bernard

-Benford

Hopefully we win it all and send some guys off into the sunset with a Championship, because in order to build around those guys, we may need to make tough decisions on Gabe Davis, Tre White, Micah Hyde, and Jordan Poyer.   I'm not sure any of them are on the team in 2024.   

If the choice is between Gabe and AJE, I'm choosing AJE.  He likely won't be as expensive and it's riskier and, most importantly, takes longer, to develop talented DE's.  

We can find a Gabe Davis replacement late in RD1 or with a potential trade up in RD2.  It took Rousseau a year or so to develop.  It's taken AJE a couple years.  Boogie was a bust.  

If I'm Buffalo, I'm thinking long and hard about an AJ extension.  I'm certainly not trading him when he finally looks to be turning into the guy everyone said slipped to us as a potential steal in the Second Round. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jackson is a slot corner. He doesn't help us unless Taron goes down. He isn't very good outside. Williams is a good player but he is a 3T in our defense and our loss is really at 1T. Ed is playing great at 3T. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.