As we all hate on Ken Dorsey today let’s remember

Buffalo_Stampede

The Bills offense is better when they can run the football!! They didn’t establish the run game and became one dimensional. We still haven’t figured out our slot WR position post Cole Beasley. I thought Kincaid was suppose to be that guy but they seem to just throw check downs to him. Still no role for Deonte Harty, or Sherfield. I have no idea what they are doing with Khalil Shakir. 

Ken Dorsey is not scheming the offense around his personnel. Make me wonder if Brandon Beane and Dorsey are on the same page because the guys that Brandon Beane has brought in are having zero impact in the offense. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Having a good offense with ***** play calling is just getting old.  If I see another shotgun draw to cook....

Exactly players can make plays but it's Dorseys job to exploit matchups and take advantage of teams weaknesses. If it was just all on the players offensive coordinators wouldn't exist in football. If the players can get flamed the coaching clearly should get burned as well.

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

OL has been better, but they weren't great yesterday.  No sacks has more to do with Allen and his ability to avoid them than how well the OL blocked.  And one big sack was negated by helmet to helmet contact.  Plus they had penalties that hurt us a lot too and we couldn't get anything going running the ball.

I don't know, its hard to put the play calling and use of personnel on McD when its Dorseys offense.  McD is already HC and DC, to expect him to have a heavy hand in the offense is unrealistic.  

And I really don't think that's McD's skillset anyways.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

The problem with our offense is consistency, and it's a fatal flaw IMO.

By the end of the year it will be ranked very high but the ride there will be a rollercoaster with several duds mixed in.  That type of variance is not the way to get through a single elimination tournament.  One dud and we're going home.

Sure, i agree, yet you realize the Dolphins don't win every game with 70 points, or that the Chiefs and all don't score every drive?

The misuse of TE, the overuse of shotgun, the late adjusting to what the Jags were doing... it's all fair points, on the mark. But lack of consistency? Again the stats show it was quite the decent showing, and no team scores on every drive except the Bills against The Cheats (yesssss!). I recall the board on here a few years back constantly moaning when Josh hadn't had a 300 yard game yet. Now it's so routine people complain about other things...

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't know, its hard to put the play calling and use of personnel on McD when its Dorseys offense.  McD is already HC and DC, to expect him to have a heavy hand in the offense is unrealistic.  

The offensive play-calling was problematic.

But my original point was in response to the issues that you mentioned, which are all categorically correctable simply by making the decisions to either do or not do them.

They're also not complicated and not something that requires experts in offense.  Any boob that watches football regularly knows the issues.  Hell, my wife walks in during the game at one point and says why are they running these plays.  

If a head coach can't figure these trivial issues out, then he's not a great head coach.  Same for Dorsey, but since Dorsey seems to struggle with it, it's on McD to tell him what to change.   Which makes it's own statement about Dorsey.  A few more games like this on the play-calling end and he won't be around after this season.  

But why hasn't McD told him to take his head out of his arse on this?  

The talent is there for this offense to be the best in the league, prolific and record-seeing.  If that cannot be achieved this season, then the only thing holding it back will have been coaching, and given what you said, that includes McD.  

Right now or hopes for a Lombardi are directly tied to optimizing or offense.  

2 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Sure, i agree, yet you realize the Dolphins don't win every game with 70 points, or that the Chiefs and all don't score every drive?

The misuse of TE, the overuse of shotgun, the late adjusting to what the Jags were doing... it's all fair points, on the mark. But lack of consistency? Again the stats show it was quite the decent showing, and no team scores on every drive except the Bills against The Cheats (yesssss!). I recall the board on here a few years back constantly moaning when Josh hadn't had a 300 yard game yet. Now it's so routine people complain about other things...

I'm personally over just stats...winning here is what matters. Let the tv "experts" worry about style points. The game was there for the taking and we didn't take it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The utter cries on this board after a loss is absolutely embarrassing. 

We traveled over seas with a 6 hour time difference 2 days before the game and played a team that has been there for 2 weeks. The field was awful and the jags had been practicing on it. They came out flat like 99% of all teams would in this scenario. The overseas games are a joke. 

The Bills will be fine. 

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

We traveled over seas with a 6 hour time difference 2 days before the game and played a team that has been there for 2 weeks. The field was awful and the jags had been practicing on it. They came out flat like 99% of all teams would in this scenario. The overseas games are a joke. 

The Bills will be fine. 

this

8 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

The Bills offense is better when they can run the football!! They didn’t establish the run game and became one dimensional. We still haven’t figured out our slot WR position post Cole Beasley. I thought Kincaid was suppose to be that guy but they seem to just throw check downs to him. Still no role for Deonte Harty, or Sherfield. I have no idea what they are doing with Khalil Shakir. 

Ken Dorsey is not scheming the offense around his personnel. Make me wonder if Brandon Beane and Dorsey are on the same page because the guys that Brandon Beane has brought in are having zero impact in the offense. 

Great points, but Torrence has made a huge impact.  

Expending a 1st-round pick that's on pace for 400 yards and 0 TDs begs criticism though.  

Seems the norm however, and for the life of me I have no idea why McD isn't taking more heat for it.  

He's the HEAD coach FFS.  

5 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

The Bills will be fine. 

I agree but the loss of Milano is to me very bad. Yes it could of happened anywhere but for some reason it happening in England of all places is just making it worse for me..why idk it just is.

Edited by BillzFreak

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

The offensive play-calling was problematic.

But my original point was in response to the issues that you mentioned, which are all categorically correctable simply by making the decisions to either do or not do them.

They're also not complicated and not something that requires experts in offense.  Any boob that watches football regularly knows the issues.  Hell, my wife walks in during the game at one point and says why are they running these plays.  

If a head coach can't figure these trivial issues out, then he's not a great head coach.  Same for Dorsey, but since Dorsey seems to struggle with it, it's on McD to tell him what to change.   Which makes it's own statement about Dorsey.  A few more games like this on the play-calling end and he won't be around after this season.  

But why hasn't McD told him to take his head out of his arse on this?  

The talent is there for this offense to be the best in the league, prolific and record-seeing.  If that cannot be achieved this season, then the only thing holding it back will have been coaching, and given what you said, that includes McD.  

Right now or hopes for a Lombardi are directly tied to optimizing or offense.  

I mean you don't know what McD has or hasn't said to Dorsey.  When Daboll was here, McD started calling him out in press conferences by saying they need to run the ball more and establish a run game even though Daboll was allergic to runniung the ball.  Daboll still didn't do it, and probably why there were reports of friction between the two. 

McD can tell Dorsey whatever he wants, but on gameday, Dorsey is in the booth calling the offense.  And Dorsey can say he is calling these, the guys just arent executing.  

So I just don't think its fair to hang offensive play calling on McD right now, especially when we are the 2nd highest scoring team in the league and coming off 3 straight wins of 28+ points or more.  Not shocking the HC won't be meddling in the OC's offense when its amongst the best in the league.  McD has his hands full between HC and DC responsibilities.

58 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

No debating the stats look good.  But the inconsistent performances, Jets and Jags, cost us 2 wins.

Even with a depleted defense, no excuse to get "shut down" in the 1st half.

I'm a Dorsey supporter, but he has to devise better plans than what we saw yesterday.  Not saying execution was great, but this offense went back to lacking identity/rhythm and that to me is more on coaching.

Phil Hartman Yes GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

The Bills will be fine. 

Fine in what sense?

We're talking about significantly underachieving here.  

Getting less than we should be, with enough regularity that it should raise concerns.  

So sure, from the perspective of fans that are simply happy that Buffalo has a team and they enjoy the entertainment of it all, and $20 beer, for however long it lasts in a season, sure, they'll be fine.  

But for anyone hoping for a super Bowl win, these are likely terminal issues.  

THIS is exactly why we get out coached in the playoffs.  Hoping to have circumstances overcome coaching ineptness for four straight playoffs games, against the best teams, QBs, and coaches in the league is not a sound strategy.  

If we make the most of what we have, great.  But what we're seeing here is the opposite.  We're not making optimal use, far from it in fact, with what's at our disposal.  

Hence the criticism and distraction, which frankly, is warranted.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

No debating the stats look good.  But the inconsistent performances, Jets and Jags, cost us 2 wins.

Even with a depleted defense, no excuse to get "shut down" in the 1st half.

I'm a Dorsey supporter, but he has to devise better plans than what we saw yesterday.  Not saying execution was great, but this offense went back to lacking identity/rhythm and that to me is more on coaching.

The jets game was all on Allen. Dorsey called plays that left Josh with multiple open options. Josh decided not to utilize them. 

19 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

And I really don't think that's McD's skillset anyways.

If it's not in the skillset of a head coach to be able to identify the simple things that we're identifying here, then it's time for a new head coach.  

Sorry, but that's the truth.  

The issues of the offense yesterday were obvious to anyone watching.  

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Great points, but Torrence has made a huge impact.  

Expending a 1st-round pick that's on pace for 400 yards and 0 TDs begs criticism though.  

Seems the norm however, and for the life of me I have no idea why McD isn't taking more heat for it.  

He's the HEAD coach FFS.  

Cuz most people don’t expect pro bowl seasons from rookies. Then there are people here who complain about a rookie not being all pro. Most of them wrote Bernard off after his rookie season. Give it a rest already. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.