Newsom vs DeSantis Debate

Irv

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Seriously, John?  Fascist?  You live in a state where people are encouraged to defecate on the street, and your Governor just got his a&& handed to him on that issue.   

I don’t find that particular headline funny, but more often than not it’s pretty humorous and spot on, for the intended audience.  

It’s literally the only issue that Gavin lost

There was an entire debate, you know

Yes newsome destroyed desantis and he wasn’t even telling the truth all the time. Some of his numbers are off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes newsome destroyed desantis and he wasn’t even telling the truth all the time. Some of his numbers are off.

No one truly believes that.

Newsom was massacred.  He didn’t answer hardly any of the questions, he deflected and all he could do was lie and hurl personal insults.

Gavin lost and he cried about it afterwards.  People would rather move to Florida than California thats just a fact.

Edited by Magox
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What a fascinating exchange.  It’s your opinion that it’s a “fascist newspaper” because you feel that Newsome won the debate, and it suggested otherwise?  

If you like a blue car, and another person likes a red car…is that fascism? 
If you like Jimmy Kimmel, and someone else prefers Jimmy Fallon…fascism?
If you’re a Wheat Thins guy, is the Triscuit guy a fascist?  
Metal v Classic Rock…fascism?

Cheddar v Gouda? 

Where does it end for you, Johnny? 

Btw—is not telling the truth the same as lying? 

9 hours ago, B-Man said:

Everyone I don’t agree with is Hitler/fascist !

He’s doing the meme !  😃

This was a very strange hot take by The Independent From Riverside.   

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillStime said:

Everyone you talked with is just like you - they didn’t watch it either.

Or like I said, they watched it and came to the conclusion they were going to come to either way. Waste of time, like posting on here is sometimes! People already have their minds made up one way or the other 

20231202_090131.thumb.jpg.1823323a66982429bf8e4dfdde8d9c13.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

As an outsider looking in, the "issues" don't matter here, lies were everywhere, it's about likeability plain and simple.

Newsome came off like a typical politician type who is well spoken and knows the game. We have seen his ilk many times before.  Even when he was wrong or took a shot he let it roll off him and kept going.  Not saying he would make a good president but he looks and acts the part in a stereotypical way.

DeSantis is so unlikable with the awkward smiling it's cringeworthy. The poop map was in such poor taste and he stood there grinning "gotcha!" Really, you went to poop? Lol it was pretty bad. When he was under fire ugh man it's almost unbelievable that he hasn't learned how to deal with it.  You think he would have learned from Trump but he is no Trump, not at all.

• Like (+1) 1

It doesn’t matter. Neither r relevant in the 24 election.  But newsome is greater than de sanctum. Not even close

https://www.forbes.com/video/6342169076112/newsom-mocks-desantis-poll-numbers-and-accuses-him-of-trying-to-outtrump-trump-in-heated-debate/?sh=25e7e8245f35

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dickleyjones said:

As an outsider looking in, the "issues" don't matter here, lies were everywhere, it's about likeability plain and simple.

Newsome came off like a typical politician type who is well spoken and knows the game. We have seen his ilk many times before.  Even when he was wrong or took a shot he let it roll off him and kept going.  Not saying he would make a good president but he looks and acts the part in a stereotypical way.

DeSantis is so unlikable with the awkward smiling it's cringeworthy. The poop map was in such poor taste and he stood there grinning "gotcha!" Really, you went to poop? Lol it was pretty bad. When he was under fire ugh man it's almost unbelievable that he hasn't learned how to deal with it.  You think he would have learned from Trump but he is no Trump, not at all.

Interesting take, and as I recall, you’re Canadian?

I ask because it’s interesting  that you found the “poop map” to be a cringeworthy moment, but the guy directly responsible for people NOT 💩 on the sidewalk isn’t cringeworthy at all.  

I have a very good friend who was born and raised in San Francisco. He told me many years ago it was the most beautiful city in the world, and it was impressive when I visited many years ago.  He’s a liberal voter and was lamenting the condition of his city not that long ago—crime, squalor and sh-t.  I don’t know that it would ever cause him to vote other than a liberal ticket, which I find interesting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I ask because it’s interesting  that you found the “poop map” to be a cringeworthy moment, but the guy directly responsible for people NOT 💩 on the sidewalk isn’t cringeworthy at all.  

I have a very good friend who was born and raised in San Francisco. He told me many years ago it was the most beautiful city in the world, and it was impressive when I visited many years ago.  He’s a liberal voter and was lamenting the condition of his city not that long ago—crime, squalor and sh-t.  I don’t know that it would ever cause him to vote other than a liberal ticket, which I find interesting.

Well, when you're an outsider, things like "likeability" are more important than competence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Used to live in the SF area for close to 20 years. Would take the BART into the city when I had to do a job there. Would get there before the civic offices opened at 9AM so I could get a jump on looking up  municipal records. Walking down Market Street I(the main drag), the shop owners  would be washing off the urine off of the sidewalks in front of their stores. This was  over 10 years ago before bums started pooping everywhere.  Saw avideo of the same street from a few months ago.  Now almost all are boarded up or  have  for rent signs. There was a BART entrance  to the underground stationright outside a  BK very near the Main library, City Hall, etc.  The escalator stopped working. When it was opened up, the mechanism was packed and I mean packed  with human feces. This was WHILE gruesome Newsom  was mayor.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Yep, Canadian.

As @Doc pointed out, likeability is more important than competence when it comes to getting the votes. Sure some people vote based on competence but the majority vote based on presentation.  That's a sad reality, i don't think that is a good thing, but it usually is the. Who can lie best. Who can *seem* competent. Who looks like they can deal with adversity. None of those things mean they are the best for the job. DeSantis may very well be more competent.

DeSantis is so awkward, going from fake smile to relief and back. He's kind of a whiney kid type, but every once in a while he remembers he's been told to smile so he does. Newsome fakes it much better. (both are slimy don't get me wrong). And really, you're gonna talk about poop and hold up a sign with poops on it during a debate? damn man, that's just base. DeSantis didn't need to add any more ick to himself.  there are many better, more palatable points to make but he chose poop. So while Newsome has the blame, DeSantis is the one with a poop map pic circulating the internet.

I'd like to see Trump debate DeSantis just once. Those on the right who support Desantis simply because he is team R would probably think differently after Trump scrapes him off of his shoe.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Well, when you're an outsider, things like "likeability" are more important than competence.

Unfortunately, likeability is often more important than competence to the people that matter: the voters. that's a bad thing, but as an outsider that's what i look for when trying to gauge what i think your country will do.

And i am interested in what your country does because arguably your elections affect Canada more than our own elections do.

33 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

Yep, Canadian.

As @Doc pointed out, likeability is more important than competence when it comes to getting the votes. Sure some people vote based on competence but the majority vote based on presentation.  That's a sad reality, i don't think that is a good thing, but it usually is the. Who can lie best. Who can *seem* competent. Who looks like they can deal with adversity. None of those things mean they are the best for the job. DeSantis may very well be more competent.

DeSantis is so awkward, going from fake smile to relief and back. He's kind of a whiney kid type, but every once in a while he remembers he's been told to smile so he does. Newsome fakes it much better. (both are slimy don't get me wrong). And really, you're gonna talk about poop and hold up a sign with poops on it during a debate? damn man, that's just base. DeSantis didn't need to add any more ick to himself.  there are many better, more palatable points to make but he chose poop. So while Newsome has the blame, DeSantis is the one with a poop map pic circulating the internet.

I'd like to see Trump debate DeSantis just once. Those on the right who support Desantis simply because he is team R would probably think differently after Trump scrapes him off of his shoe.

Poop map at a debate is a bridge too far but comics in elementary school libraries depicting giving head are fine. 

Oh, Canada 🤦‍♂️🤦🤦‍♀️

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Poop map at a debate is a bridge too far but comics in elementary school libraries depicting giving head are fine. 

Oh, Canada 🤦‍♂️🤦🤦‍♀️

My criticism is not about what i personally find offensive. It is about what i think is a good or bad political move on a debate stage.

There are books written for 2 year olds about poop and i bet you will find many in libraries. Which kinda highlights my point - the poop map was childish and makes DeSantis look weak at best, poopy at worst.

Edited by dickleyjones

10 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

My criticism is not about what i personally find offensive. It is about what i think is a good or bad political move on a debate stage.

There are books written for 2 year olds about poop and i bet you will find many in libraries. Which kinda highlights my point - the poop map was childish and makes DeSantis look weak at best, poopy at worst.

Did you understand the reason why he used the poop map?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

Yep, Canadian.

Thanks, good post and I certainly cannot disagree with much of what you said.

However, I revert back to my most basic point.   Newsome is THE Sh+t on the Street governor, and the criticism is directed at the guy who points it out.  I say this understanding how silly it actually sounds—I’d think the political candidate who chooses not to press the “Gavin Newsome wants people to crap on your sidewalk” ” advantage is committing electoral malpractice.