Captain Andrew Luck makes appearance on TNF post game!

Big Blitz

13 minutes ago, BBFL said:

What a lad!

Love it when a joke is elevated to a level no one could have predicted!

Did the twitter handle in reference respond…?!

I saw the Twitter message posted on how the sf team has scored 30  each game they've played.  So it will be  a 31  30 Bills  SB victory  with what I imagine will be a last minute fg that dinks in off the right goalposts to purge the wide right loss to the Giants In the first sb that was supposed to be Bills 49ers until they let the giants beat 49ers to wreck the 1st Bills SB.  

Edited by AuntieEm

52 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Petersburg?  I'd say more like Gettysburg.  Petersburg sounds more like Russian revolution than the civil war.

Actually I googled it seems Petersburg VA was a major battle of the civil war.  I never invested as  much interest in early American military history.  I have a great uncle many times removed  that was a polish general alongside  Pulaski and Kosciusko who came to fight with the American revolutionaries when they lost Poland fight for independence from Russia and Prussian oppression.  My. Uncle chose to go to the Belgium Congo  instead.  So I guess my ancestor chose money over  ideology.  I tend to be more of an ideology supporter over money so I  don't think id get along with that great uncle. I'd have to try to see what impact he made in the Belgium Congo of that era to see if he turned to being an oppressor in the Belgium Congo. 

I've never researched  it probably because I'm disappointed he didn't come to America then for the just cause of independence that  they failed to secure  in Poland.  But if he had come to America then  it's likely his brother my direct ancestor  would have joined him which would alter my family's history that I'd not be here.  So can't be too disappointed in his choice. 

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Got damn you need to go check it out, it’s only a few hours south of DC. 

I actually lived in silver springs MD for a time  and had I took more interest at the time to civil war battles I'm sure I wouĺd have checked it out.   I skimmed over much of American history  due to being more interested in my polish  ancestry and that history.  

25 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I actually lived in silver springs MD for a time  and had I took more interest at the time to civil war battles I'm sure I wouĺd have checked it out.   I skimmed over much of American history  due to being more interested in my polish  ancestry and that history.  

Polish history; German doormat, followed by Russian doormat, concluding to present NATO (U.S.) doormat. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Polish history; German doormat, followed by Russian doormat, concluding to present NATO (U.S.) doormat. 

Much more history than that.  In fact I think Thomas Jefferson  and some early constitution was heavily influenced by pulaski and Kosciusko.  Poland was ruled by a democratic elected  senate made up of Polish nobility.  They elected their king  and any issues of law were  voted on in polish senate of that time.  However any single noble in the senate could veto any proposed law thereby it promoted a very easy way to prevent any legislation  that was beneficial to polish interests  thru corruption and bribery.  Which is why us  required majority of senate to pass legislation.  It's still doesn't negate corruption  but it's not as easy as just buying 1 vote.  It takes a lot more effort to corrupt and prevent beneficial laws  in the US.  So don't know that I'd classify Poland as a doormat to the  US  currently.  Polish  people have always been supportive of independence  in large part being oppressed by Prussian empire on one side and Russian oppression on the other.

Edited by AuntieEm

56 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Much more history than that.  In fact I think Thomas Jefferson  and some early constitution was heavily influenced by pulaski and Kosciusko.  Poland was ruled by a democratic elected  senate made up of Polish nobility.  They elected their king  and any issues of law were  voted on in polish senate of that time.  However any single noble in the senate could veto any proposed law thereby it promoted a very easy way to prevent any legislation  that was beneficial to polish interests  thru corruption and bribery.  Which is why us  required majority of senate to pass legislation.  It's still doesn't negate corruption  but it's not as easy as just buying 1 vote.  It takes a lot more effort to corrupt and prevent beneficial laws  in the US.  So don't know that I'd classify Poland as a doormat to the  US  currently.  Polish  people have always been supportive of independence  in large part being oppressed by Prussian empire on one side and Russian oppression on the other.

when people tell Polish jokes, I like to tell them-You do realize more nobel prize winners are Polish.  Chopin, Copernicus, Marie Currie were not exactly stupid

1 hour ago, Pete said:

when people tell Polish jokes, I like to tell them-You do realize more nobel prize winners are Polish.  Chopin, Copernicus, Marie Currie were not exactly stupid

My mother went to school in France near Paris at a polish school that madame curies granddaughters attended.   My mother was born the year madame curie passed away so her granddaughters never knew her  capt for  what their parents told them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, AuntieEm said:

My mother went to school in France near Paris at a polish school that madame curies granddaughters attended.   My mother was born the year madame curie passed away so her granddaughters never knew her  capt for  what their parents told them.

This was a fter the war not sure the years as my mother was like 11 when war ended and they lived in post war Germany before  France near Paris  then to the states.  My mother mainly went to school in  France  she spoke French as well as German and of course English.  One of my fathers sisters got nabbed by Germans in Poland and got shipped to Germany to work as a farm slave when she was like 16.  My grandparents learned when in Germany she was captive  the farmer let her write to them.   So they left to move nearby in Germany during the war.  At the train station as they were leaving my dad  who was prob like 7 or 8 at that time actually got bustled onto s train headed for Auschwitz and when they located him there the German soldiers did allow him to get off  and rejoin his parents.  It could have gone badly as they considered poles to be as inferior. Don't know how much pull my grandfather had but he was pretty  connected with polish intelligence of thT time period.   Stalin had sent some of his goons to assassinate my grandfather and he had relatives in the wny area that emigrated sometime earlier.   The polish paper at the time reported he had been killed and so after  the war the relatives in wny were very surprised when he got in touch with them.  I don't remember my paternal  grandfather he passed when I was a  toddler  he was quite the alcoholic  drinking a quart of vodka daily.   He was only in early 60 when he passed going by his being born 1898.  

I'd have loved to hear his  stories though from what I'm told he once thought of writing a book but decided it was too dangerous to divulge much of what he knew.ldo he burned any notes he wrote  when he started writing it.  Likely knew about Russians killing all the polish officers in the one forest in Poland.   My dad saw Hitler a few times when they moved to Germany at some of the parades they'd have.  He saw alot a young child shouldn't witness  but he was surprisingly very hard to be riled up into anger and was a great father.  He grew up close to treblinka which was used as a  concentration camp  primarily filled with Russian pows. Though it housed jews they ga r here from that region as well as they deported then to the  birken auschwitz  camp for final solution.   I did visit Poland in 1994 and did go to see auschwitz. It's really quite chilling to see the mountains of various items that were collected from the jews they killed. A mountain 15- 20 feet high of toothbrushes is kinda shocking to see up close.   The people who try to deny the holocaust need to go see what was saved as a historical record of such brutality.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I'm really glad the Josh Allen one never took off. Keep the original, Luck's was awesome. The war is over.

Yea let  them come up with something original to josh.  Not sure what they'd come up with but could span to include his wyoming  college career as well.  Just not sure how to make it clear any mention of Cowboys is not related to dallas.

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Dude portaled in from the front lines of Petersburg 1864?

8 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Petersburg?  I'd say more like Gettysburg.  Petersburg sounds more like Russian revolution than the civil war.

7 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Actually I googled it seems Petersburg VA was a major battle of the civil war.  I never invested as  much interest in early American military history.  I have a great uncle many times removed  that was a polish general alongside  Pulaski and Kosciusko who came to fight with the American revolutionaries when they lost Poland fight for independence from Russia and Prussian oppression.  My. Uncle chose to go to the Belgium Congo  instead.  So I guess my ancestor chose money over  ideology.  I tend to be more of an ideology supporter over money so I  don't think id get along with that great uncle. I'd have to try to see what impact he made in the Belgium Congo of that era to see if he turned to being an oppressor in the Belgium Congo. 

I've never researched  it probably because I'm disappointed he didn't come to America then for the just cause of independence that  they failed to secure  in Poland.  But if he had come to America then  it's likely his brother my direct ancestor  would have joined him which would alter my family's history that I'd not be here.  So can't be too disappointed in his choice. 

Petersburg was the longest battle of the war.  

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/civil-war/battles/petersburg#:~:text=City of Petersburg%2C VA | Jun,longest siege in American warfare.

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

That is Amazing!  Makes me wish I'd stayed up to see that.

1 hour ago, Irv said:

I don't understand this thread.  Why is he wearing a Civil War uniform?  

While Andrew Luck was playing for the Colts, there was a brilliant "Captain Andrew Luck" twitter account, that described the previous game and the next game as though they were Civil War battles.  It wasn't Andrew Luck behind it, but it's a brilliant shout-out for him to show up in that costume.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 3

57 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I fell asleep watching that boring ass game but woke up just in time to see that live...I was freaking crying laughing so hard...

"Been doing great...the war is over!"

holy crap… same thing here!  Haha.

I thought I was having a weird dream or something when I saw that.

if you lived there you should know it’s Silver Spring. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Petersburg is where the Crater is located. Amazing Civil War story if you don't know it. 

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/civil-war/battles/crater

1 hour ago, jayg said:

Xea ì did Google after  to check c k if xou were talking about st oetersberg fla and if d l was part of us at civil war it was but was a bit too southern to have seen any major battles.  Then saw there was petersberg va.  So I guess I gotta dIve into the civil war a bit more. I've also not researched the ww1 as much as ww2 which Rea I y is why ww2 happened by creating the  malcontent that was Hitler who could rile up the crowd with that eras version of social media.  Should serve as a warning to this generation of twits and Instagram addicts.

Curious how well the schools even broach the world wars I don't remember learning much at school I hadn't already learned of ww2 from the stories I learned as a çhild interested in it from their first hand as counts or even from various Hollywood movies about them.  I'd expect they don't do a thorough job as likely enough with doubts.  And so many Americans never travel abroad to learn other cultures.  

• Shocked 1

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Polish history; German doormat, followed by Russian doormat, concluding to present NATO (U.S.) doormat

In the 1300's the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was the largest state in Europe. It stretched from the Baltic to the Black Sea and included Ukraine.  Smolensk was a Polish city.  In the early 1600s the Poles occupied Moscow for 25 years.

Polish history has pretty much been downhill from there.

Those who desire peace must prepare for war.

1 hour ago, eball said:

if you lived there you should know it’s Silver Spring. 

Yes I also find I have lot of typos using phones small keyboard and I don't catch all in my post editing after I  reread and spot the most glaring ones.  

10 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Topping last week's I Missed It news...

Curious if he's thinking of returning to play in the NFL.  

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, he wasn't lying about that...probably was in one of those endless winter stretches where you don't see the sun for weeks on end here.

He definitely wasn't lying lol. That was the date of the snow game against the Colts where you couldn't see the field and Shady ran wild. Deonte Thompson's catch from Joe Webb on 3rd and long set the stage for the OT winner. The Bills would've never broken the drought in 2017 had they not found a way to pull out that game

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.