Mahomes and Chiefs restructure contract 😳

DJB

12 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Have you seen Justin Herbert's contract? 

I knew someone would bring him up.  😄  

10 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

These sound like wishful thinking to me. Maybe Josh takes less than he could actually get, but to think he won’t get money in the same area or exceed those contracts isn’t realistic. Hurts and Herbert got a ton of money, Tua and Lawrence are gonna get paid-Josh will get a significant bump when he renegotiates 

I agree.  Still...other than escalation and inflation of QB contracts...what other criteria would he have to ask for a renegotiation?   Perhaps in the next restructure to create cap space, the Bills would initiate a renegotiation.

Edited by jkeerie

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I keep telling you all.... 2024 is, at the latest, the last year Josh will play on his deal. These elite QBs fall so fast down the AAV charts they are never playing their full deal out. 

plus he has $40-50M cap hits coming up

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

So, now he makes 52 mil per year, for the next 4 years, all guaranteed? Plus, he’s a FA when this is done.   

Is that correct?

I wonder why this happened when it did.  Did Mahomes request this because he felt underpaid?

He now makes the Watson deal not the standard for contracts.  I have to assume this is the deal that make’s guaranteed deals a real thing in the NFL.  

This is quietly huge and game changing 

Cousins, not Watson, was the standard (people forget lol). The market changes so fast, I thought I read Watson is now 6th in QB salary. 

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

People always get pissed off when every time a new QB contract is posted, I mention what a bargain Josh's contract is.  So I won't do that.

Thank you! It's almost a given Josh will get a restructure at some point, as well as several others. 

Next year, we have 10 players accounting for $172 million against the cap (about 70% if the cap rises to $250 million), so this offseason could be crazy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Billl said:

He was already slated to count $202 million against the cap over that four year stretch.  There’s nothing particularly newsworthy about this unless you frequent accounting message boards.

I agree.  It's more of a consolidation thing.  If he is indeed a FA as they say, then it does limit that original 10 year deal.

It freed up a couple of million but the Chiefs were right at the cap so I don't expect they will do a lot with that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.