We need one more superstar

Billzebub

I’m trying to look objectively at our team.  I’m older so I was around for the early 90’s superbowl teams.  We had Andre, Jim, Thurman and Bruce.  Lots of contributors…. Lofton, Talley, Biscuit, Etc.

This team is deep but lacking in high end talent.  Really, we have Josh and Diggs…. Generational talents, after that there is no one on the roster that terrifies anyone.

We need (like we had back then) one or two more superstars .  You want a Super Bowl?  We need a game wrecker, someone like Diggs or Allen that, game plan or not, no one can do a damn thing about it.

My belief is that if any one of the following players contribute in a dominant, game altering way, we will win a Superbowl.

1) Rousseau 

2)Oliver

3) Cook

4) Kincaid 

Will one of them step it up? If so who?

If not, is there anyone else?

Can Allen and Diggs do it alone?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

i think you gotta draft them.

otherwise they are rentals.  hired guns.   And even then, you can usually only afford to add one.  or none at all.

but bottom line:  yes.  we do not have the number of talented game-changing players that winning teams usually have.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You’re certainly not wrong.

Aside from Tom Brady led teams..

Chiefs ‘20

Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones

Rams ‘22 

Donald, Ramsey, Von, Kupp

Chiefs ‘23

Mahomes, Kelce, Jones

Even Brady led teams..

Patriots - Edelman, Gronk, Brady

01-04 Patriots - Brady, Law, Harrison 

Bucs - the team was just loaded and just needed a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

We need one guy on the roster to become known as a super star. 

We need one… maybe two more guys on this roster to become  super stars, Josh and Stefon are there.  Von is supposed to be that guy but two ACL injuries later and  I think he becomes a strong contributor. 

It’s imperative that someone else steps up.  

"Super Star " is a subjective term and everyone has a different definition of what a "Super Star is" .

It comes down to how a team builds value with the salary cap. Draft well and optimize production from rookie contracts  so you don't "over pay" in free agency.

Besides Josh and Diggs which current Bills qualify ? Milano? Poyer , Hyde and White? Bass? Von?

46 minutes ago, Billzebub said:

I’m trying to look objectively at our team.  I’m older so I was around for the early 90’s superbowl teams.  We had Andre, Jim, Thurman and Bruce.  Lots of contributors…. Lofton, Talley, Biscuit, Etc.

This team is deep but lacking in high end talent.  Really, we have Josh and Diggs…. Generational talents, after that there is no one on the roster that terrifies anyone.

We need (like we had back then) one or two more superstars .  You want a Super Bowl?  We need a game wrecker, someone like Diggs or Allen that, game plan or not, no one can do a damn thing about it.

My belief is that if any one of the following players contribute in a dominant, game altering way, we will win a Superbowl.

1) Rousseau 

2)Oliver

3) Cook

4) Kincaid 

Will one of them step it up? If so who?

If not, is there anyone else?

Can Allen and Diggs do it alone?

I’m pushing chips to kinciad. His ability to separate on inside routes is new and looks different. 

Is this another closet DeAndre Hopkins thread? I heard Mike Evans is on the block? I think one of those 2 guys would've made a huge difference. But that's just me. Diggs can't do it on his own, so I'm hopeful Kincaid is the equalizer. Still a big ask for the offense. We shall wait and see. 

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

i think you gotta draft them.

otherwise they are rentals.  hired guns.   And even then, you can usually only afford to add one.  or none at all.

but bottom line:  yes.  we do not have the number of talented game-changing players that winning teams usually have.

That’s right. It’s been said plenty, but the roster is what it is because Beane’s early picks haven’t reached their ceilings.

And in addition to being on second or third contracts, the rentals are also older and more injury prone.

Someone called Beane a used car salesman. That’s harsh but I get the analogy. In his defense, he’s been aggressive with the cap, but unfortunately, he’s reaching max capacity with a plateauing team. No more room for hired guns.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

"Super Star " is a subjective term and everyone has a different definition of what a "Super Star is" .

It comes down to how a team builds value with the salary cap. Draft well and optimize production from rookie contracts  so you don't "over pay" in free agency.

Besides Josh and Diggs which current Bills qualify ? Milano? Poyer , Hyde and White? Bass? Von?

I agree in two parts… super star means different things to different people so lets look at it like this:

“We need a game wrecker, someone like Diggs or Allen that, game plan or not, no one can do a damn thing about it”

Current roster qualifiers are an open question.  Of yours listed I think Von is the only one that meets the game wrecker criteria, but I have reservations about his post surgery ability.  The others are very strong players but I don’t think they qualify ( Milano, Poyer, Hyde and White). 

I think we need a dependable Von or an on level contribution from Rousseau, Cook, Kincaid or Oliver but I’m open to others on the roster that can fill that void.

10 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Milano was an All-Pro and can be a game wrecker…

Von is a hall of famer…

Are they not enough?

Milano is rock steady but not a game changer. I’d offer that game changers on defense are elite pass rushers or shut down corners.

Miller is an all-timer but the Bills got him in his twilight. Aging and injured. 

No, they’re not enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.