Cannabis could soon be rescheduled: from 1 to 3

PromoTheRobot

10 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Wait so your reaction time isn't impaired while high?  I'm not being sarcastic at all I'm asking. I got messed on gummies once and I was having crazy time lapses. I could never imagine driving. 

It's not much different from alcohol, imo.

You can have one beer and still drive with minimal, if any impairment. Just like you can have one small hit of marijuana and still drive with minimal impairment.

But if you have 4-5 hits (or an edible), then you get the same effect as if you've had 4-5 beers in a short time.

That's when you put away the keys.

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

You can have one beer and still drive with minimal, if any impairment. Just like you can have one small hit of marijuana and still drive with minimal impairment.

But if you have 4-5 hits (or an edible), then you get the same effect as if you've had 4-5 beers in a short time.

….assuming you can find them in the first place.  😂 

• Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Pot isn't like alcohol. You can't do an on-site test to determine impairment. But if you can smell it in a car that should be enough. I'm amazed how smells of smoke, even tobacco, can waft down a highway. 

Smell of marijuana isnt a valid reason to search a vehicle anymore so I doubt it's enough to convict. Police have been found to lie and say anything smells like weed. 

They do or did roadside coordination tests to determine if you're good to drive. Pretty much the same as the dwi tests minus the breathalyzer 

16 minutes ago, Simon said:

I wish 4-5 hits did anything close to that 

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

Gotcha. Thanks you. It's actually kind of scary. I've got kids that are starting to drive. Between alcohol texting and now weed I just get nervous. I already know a girl who died (and her boyfriend) because of the other driver being impaired and hitting her and her boyfriend head on. 

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Enough that you could charge the equivalent of an "open container." Passengers aren't allowed to drink while you drive either. 

Passengers can drink from an open container in VA. This may be true for other states as well.

https://www.allenandallen.com/can-passengers-in-a-car-drink-or-possess-alcohol/

fwiw a kid i went to high school with was about 23-24 and smoked. he smoked regularly. but he went driving one day, hadn't smoked recently and when reaching for something in his car lost control and struck & killed a 8-9 year old girl on a bike.

he was drug tested and found to be under the influence of weed since the test could not determine how high he was - he ultimately pled out and did significant time.

he swore he wasn't high at the time, but the drug was in his system. so was he high? (this was back in like 2004).

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I guess it's a matter of personal tolerance.

I can drink 4 light beers without too much effect, but if I have 4 hits of good ganja I turn into Wooderson.

Put them together and they act like a force multiplier on each other. Awesome. 🤙

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Simon said:

I guess it's a matter of personal tolerance.

I can drink 4 light beers without too much effect, but if I have 4 hits of good ganja I turn into Wooderson.

Put them together and they act like a force multiplier on each other. Awesome. 🤙

I'm opposite. 4 beers I'm done. 4 joints and I start my day

3 hours ago, Simon said:

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

They do or did roadside coordination tests to determine if you're good to drive. Pretty much the same as the dwi tests minus the breathalyzer 

That's another thing with THC. Heavy users don't even feel it. I have a buddy who has been using THC to minimize the pain after a liver transplant. He takes in enough THC to knock out an elephant and he barely feels a buzz.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes but I don't think this would help much. I hope that in the future some sort of test becomes available.

It’s being worked on. I actually bought some stock in a company that has a patent for a weed breathalyzer (It’s way more difficult than alcohol to create for a bunch of reasons). How to test for recent use / impairment is one of the biggest question marks still out there regarding cannabis. There’s a lot of different approaches, I’m guessing within a couple years something will emerge that’s on par with the functionality, practicality, and accuracy of a breathalyzer. (Hope I can spot it beforehand and invest😂)

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/30/2023 at 8:09 PM, boyst said:

All for it as long as there are consequences for being under the influence.

Tired of smelling potheads driving around so damn much you can smell it as they drive by and it's not legal in NC

umm… so in other words it’s already against the law to drive around smoking weed and you’d face consequences if caught? 😂

On 8/31/2023 at 1:20 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Well, farmers use them for tobacco. I am under the impression that they cause cancer. If they are used to grow tobacco, why should I believe that farmers won't use them to grow weed? I grow vegetables without them. If I was growing weed I would not spray the plants with pesticides. Now, do all weed farmers use them? I don't know. Do you?

Btw, please don't take my post as being snide. I was a cigarette smoker until 8 years ago, so my body certainly took in enough poisonous substances.

any cannabis sold by a legal dispensary has to pass very strict tests for pesticides, mold, mildew, bugs, microorganisms, heavy metals, residual solvents, etc. 

https://cannabis.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2023/01/ocm-testing-limits.pdf

thats one of the major advantages of legalized cannabis.

Now, buying cheap bulk cannabis on the illicit market? Yes, there are absolutely growers who use poison on their plants to treat all sorts of things (powdery mildew, mite outbreaks, viruses, etc). And with cannabis being an accumulator plant (it can pull + store heavy metals from the soil. Hemp has been used around the globe for centuries to remediate soil) it’s important that you know the grower wasn’t using nutrients with heavy metals in them. All reasons why legalization is safer.

Edited by BillsFan4

7 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

umm… so in other words it’s already against the law to drive around smoking weed and you’d face consequences if caught? 😂

any cannabis sold by a legal dispensary has to pass very strict tests for pesticides, mold, mildew, bugs, microorganisms, heavy metals, residual solvents, etc. 

https://cannabis.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2023/01/ocm-testing-limits.pdf

thats one of the major advantages of legalized cannabis.

Now, buying cheap bulk cannabis on the illicit market? Yes, there are absolutely growers who use poison on their plants to treat all sorts of things (powdery mildew, mite outbreaks, viruses, etc). And with cannabis being an accumulator plant (it can pull + store heavy metals from the soil. Hemp has been used around the globe for centuries to remediate soil) it’s important that you know the grower wasn’t using nutrients with heavy metals in them. All reasons why legalization is safer.

Well, cops are too scared to enforce laws these days for one.

But yeah, it should be a states right to make these calls. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.