Tuesday August 29th is the NFL Cut Down Day

Gregg

This was posted over at the Buffalo Range.

The NFL Cut Down Day is Tuesday August 29th.    Just a few days away.

All teams have to cut from 90 players to 53.   Approx 37 players per team will hit the street next Monday / Tuesday.  About 1184 pink slips. 

Will Beane trade away a player this week, like he has done in the past?   Here are a few examples:

Aug 2019 traded LB Eli Harold for Ryan Bates
Aug 2019 traded OL Russell Bodine to New England for a 6th round pick
Sept 2018 Traded QB AJ McCarron to the Oakland Raiders for a 2019 fifth-round draft pick 
Sept 2018 Traded OT Marshall Newsome to the Panthers for a 7th round pick
Aug 2021 Traded DE Darryl Johnson to the Panthers for a 6th round pick
Aug 2022: Traded G Cody Ford to Arizona for a 2023 fifth-round pick

Who might be someone the Bills would trade?  An extra DL or DE?   A defensive back?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Because of the new one day cutdown, gone are the days where you can get a team to bite on a likely cuts like Eli Harold, Marshall Newsome, Darry Johnson and Russell Bodine.

I bet a lot of teams are not shopping for trades--they will be dumpster diving in the frenzy coming Tuesday.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Even though I liked Darryl Johnson they traded him at right time. 

He played for three teams - Panthers, Seahawks and 49ers and on each team he got injured and put on IR.

Kingsley Jonathan fits the mold of what Bam was in those days. Promising but not a guy I expected to see starting ever.

• Like (+1) 1

Guys that have less than 4 years and would hit the waivers are one's that team way down the list might be interested in.

Let's say a guy like Cam Lewis.  He has some worth and could get a late Day 3 pick.  I'm not saying he should be cut, just saying.

Beane has to weigh whether guys like this, if cut, will make it back on the PS.

A trade vs a cut for a guy like Cam also saves another $225k in cap for Beane.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Guys that have less than 4 years and would hit the waivers are one's that team way down the list might be interested in.

Let's say a guy like Cam Lewis.  He has some worth and could get a late Day 3 pick.  I'm not saying he should be cut, just saying.

For that amount saved, you keep a guy like Lewis. That's 1/1000th of the cap.

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Then every GM knows this--hence they will wait for Tuesday.

That is a simplistic way to look at the waiver wire nuances in the NFL, especially teams who are 20+ on the list.

There will be trades at cutdown time.  They have averaged 10-15 each year.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because of the new one day cutdown, gone are the days where you can get a team to bite on a likely cuts like Eli Harold, Marshall Newsome, Darry Johnson and Russell Bodine.

I bet a lot of teams are not shopping for trades--they will be dumpster diving in the frenzy coming Tuesday.

The benefit of a trade is not facing the prospect of a bidding war with another team.  Now you might say "what war" when we're talking about players who are being cut, but every dollar counts at this time of year and if you can work a trade at a set salary without having to outbid another team it makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That is a simplistic way to look at the waiver wire nuances in the NFL, especially teams who are 20+ on the list.

There will be trades at cutdown time.  They have averaged 10-15 each year.

It has never been done like this before--one day, 1200 cuts.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It has never been done like this before--one day, 1200 cuts.

True.  But in the past the initial cutdown was camp bodies that most GMs didn't care about acquiring.

This new rule IMO was to keep those guys on the team to play a lot in the last totally meaningless preseason game protecting the depth from

injuries.

I guess we will see in a few days if it has changed anything.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Beane knows he's in trouble at OT and MLB at the very least. Trading away a 4th/5th would not surprise me in the least.

May be able to recoup a 6th/7th for Basham. 

I'm also curious what they think of Ford and Harris at this point. Could be surprise cuts/trades. 

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

For that amount saved, you keep a guy like Lewis. That's 1/1000th of the cap.

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Trade him, cut him, whatever you have to do, but Cam gives me too much PTSD from last year 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.