Tuesday August 29th is the NFL Cut Down Day

Gregg

Ian Rapoport on X: "As the #49ers weigh options for Trey Lance, calling his hometown team, the #Vikings (who were a rumored destination before the Draft) makes sense. Nothing is impossible, but MIN has a backup in Nick Mullens and drafted rookie QB in Jaren Hall. Post-draft, these deals are harder." / X (twitter.com)

I’m sure Beane is shopping Basham or Epenesa, Cam Lewis, maybe even Shakir.  If he can get value, we have the depth.

My thoughts are we may go with 4 DE’s and 5 DT’s.  I like Ford, and the others are valuable especially we have the time to allow Phillips to get to 100%.  On the other hand we can live with 4 on the end if we have Von on PUP for 4 weeks.  Then when Von is cleared we’ll probably shed Shaq.  At the end of the day we only need only 1 either Boogie or Epenesa.  Not both.  Beane May as well get something in draft compensation.  They were both 2nd rd picks.

Were too deep at WR so if he stuck with history, we’ll probably end up with Diggs, Davis, Sherfield, and Harty.  Isabella can back up Harty, and Shorter as the 6th as he’ll end up on ST, and maybe if he’s lucky at the end of the year be in a couple of red zone plays for the back shoulder pass with his size.  My point.  Shakir is expendable.

I won’t keep going on Cam, but you guys get my logic and the OP is right.  Beane loves August surprise trades as well as August extensions.  We already have I think with the comp pick I think 10 picks.  Add to that and maybe we get a couple more.  Knowing Beane’s history, that gives him a lot of latitude to bundle picks next year to get higher quality players.

Beane wasn’t GM of the year two years ago by accident.  This is why I tune out to all the chicken crying the sky is falling on Beane sucks crap.  His peers consider him one of the best, yet a small minority of TBDers think they are smarter and more accomplished than the experts who wield the wand.  There’s only 32 of them and ours has built a team with talent that drew 10-6 (because we didn’t care about the Jets finale), 13-3, 11-6, and 13-3.  Yeah he’s horrible.

The negativity has gone to new heights on the team that has one of the best records for the last 4 years.

That makes us 2nd overall.

KC 52-14

Bills 47-18

GB 47-19

Bal 43-22

SF 42-24

Im not Pollyanna on this team as it needs to improve in some areas, but I’m not taking a doom and gloom approach either after we had one embarrassing loss in a meaningless game.

Just a measured approach in looking at this team.  I love my Bills, and I also see some her warts.  After all it’s not Madden.

I think Monday will be more interesting than Saturdays game as that will be about getting 43-69 lined up with the last 10 of the 53 and the PS.

Monday on the other hand May end up inventful of the past is a prelude to the future as it pertains to Beane’s track record.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Why trade  Epenesa? He's the 3rd best pass rusher on the team (behind Von and Floyd) respectively. 

It's the final year of his rookie contract and Basham has outplayed him in preseason. He only really saw significant action in garbage time last year and OT is the much more dire need after losing Shell and Doyle.

There really aren't any decent Tackles left in free agency besides Nsekhe and Peters who are both ancient.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m sure Beane is shopping Basham or Epenesa, Cam Lewis, maybe even Shakir.  If he can get value, we have the depth.

There's that pesky "depth" thing again. What depth? Isabella? Harty? That's not depth. That's bodies. They're better off keeping seven WRs to increase the odds that a couple actually contribute something.

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

There's that pesky "depth" thing again. What depth? Isabella? Harty? That's not depth. That's bodies. They're better off keeping seven WRs to increase the odds that a couple actually contribute something.

Where do you take it from?  Add that to your comment.  Tell me where you provide more scarcity at another position group on offense as you’re not going to take from the defense.

Youre comment is only half the full comment.

27 minutes ago, Airseven said:

In 2021 Harty was 72nd in receiving yards in the NFL which would put him in the top 25% of 3rd WRs (32 teams x 3 WRs=96) which to me is above average depth. He outpaced guys like Gabe Davis, Robert Woods, OBJ, Zay Jones, DeVante Parker and Allen Lazard to name a few.

Edited by The Jokeman

26 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Where do you take it from?  Add that to your comment.  Tell me where you provide more scarcity at another position group on offense as you’re not going to take from the defense.

Youre comment is only half the full comment.

I understand your point and I was being facetious.

My point is that I don't think the roster is "deep" in the sense there's upside waiting in the wings. You could shuffle the "depth" in and out across most positions and it wouldn't make a difference.

For the final handful of roster spots, I'd just keep whoever is younger, cheaper, and more versatile. I realize that's not ideal.

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

I understand your point and I was being facetious.

My point is that I don't think the roster is "deep" in the sense there's upside waiting in the wings. You could shuffle the "depth" in and out across most positions and it wouldn't make a difference.

For the final handful of roster spots, I'd just keep whoever is younger, cheaper, and more versatile. I realize that's not ideal.

Seven,

im not banging on you, but like the guys on Movin the Chains say to callers, add this guy or this contract.  Were it coming from?  

think about it bud.  If you are critical and say we need 7, ok.  Where’s it coming from and of not cost implications fine.

Guys on the board provide wish lists but they don’t provide opportunity costs to put in business terms.

I do the same with the draft.  Just use the JJ famous draft cost board and when guys propose a draft move up or down I always ask why.  As maybe you I’ve been very successful in business for a long time.

we all need to think through “we need 7”.  Ok, which offensive unto loses a slot.

once you have time to digest what you think is the 53, what’s the exchange?  What’s the cost of there is one?

another example.  Guys say, get Jonathan Taylor!  Ok. What player or draft picks are you giving up, is it a requisite value, whee are you getting the $ to pay him, does he fit into the scheme we are trying to employ?

I just wish guys would provide real cogent and complete answers that are .logical as I think a lot of the guys on the board are opening to new ideas.

this reply, you never answered the questions.  I know the concerns and respect that POV.  I do, but answer the question.  Take away an o linemen when we already basically lost one to retirement and another to a season ending injury.  Do you want to go to 2 QB’s?  3RB’s given one will be Gilliam as this team values him.  What about that gamble.

Again who?  Defense.  ThTs another litany of questions.  Do you see where I’m going with this train of thought.  I would accept we are taking 6 and think through who you think meets all our needs.  That includes backup ability and ST play.  Not just WR.  WR 5 and 6 almost never make the field so I’m pragmatic.  Shorter can be a ST gunner.  Maybe red zone later.

isabella could fill in for Harty we think if we’re as he was managed on a train wreck at AZ.  Nothing is in question on the front four.

we’re going with Diggs, Davis, Sherfield, and Harty.  If you want Shakir, even though a kid round 5th round pick has done nothing and picked almost the exact same spot as shorter, then who doesn’t get a musical chair on Offense?

I swear I’m not antagonizing.  Maybe you think we can just get by with DK2 at TE even though the team wants a 12 personnel do cut Morris.  Ok, but unlikely.  O Line.  They have historically been hurt and we almost always like the league keep 9, but who and why?

I hope my tone comes across the right way.  It’s not to bust your chops at all.  Just finish.  Add something, take something away.  What?

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Seven,

im not banging on you, but like the guys on Movin the Chains say to callers, add this guy or this contract.  Were it coming from?  

think about it bud.  If you are critical and say we need 7, ok.  Where’s it coming from and of not cost implications fine.

Guys on the board provide wish lists but they don’t provide opportunity costs to put in business terms.

I do the same with the draft.  Just use the JJ famous draft cost board and when guys propose a draft move up or down I always ask why.  As maybe you I’ve been very successful in business for a long time.

we all need to think through “we need 7”.  Ok, which offensive unto loses a slot.

once you have time to digest what you think is the 53, what’s the exchange?  What’s the cost of there is one?

another example.  Guys say, get Jonathan Taylor!  Ok. What player or draft picks are you giving up, is it a requisite value, whee are you getting the $ to pay him, does he fit into the scheme we are trying to employ?

I just wish guys would provide real cogent and complete answers that are .logical as I think a lot of the guys on the board are opening to new ideas.

this reply, you never answered the questions.  I know the concerns and respect that POV.  I do, but answer the question.  Take away an o linemen when we already basically lost one to retirement and another to a season ending injury.  Do you want to go to 2 QB’s?  3RB’s given one will be Gilliam as this team values him.  What about that gamble.

Again who?  Defense.  ThTs another litany of questions.  Do you see where I’m going with this train of thought.  I would accept we are taking 6 and think through who you think meets all our needs.  That includes backup ability and ST play.  Not just WR.  WR 5 and 6 almost never make the field so I’m pragmatic.  Shorter can be a ST gunner.  Maybe red zone later.

isabella could fill in for Harty we think if we’re as he was managed on a train wreck at AZ.  Nothing is in question on the front four.

we’re going with Diggs, Davis, Sherfield, and Harty.  If you want Shakir, even though a kid round 5th round pick has done nothing and picked almost the exact same spot as shorter, then who doesn’t get a musical chair on Offense?

I swear I’m not antagonizing.  Maybe you think we can just get by with DK2 at TE even though the team wants a 12 personnel do cut Morris.  Ok, but unlikely.  O Line.  They have historically been hurt and we almost always like the league keep 9, but who and why?

I hope my tone comes across the right way.  It’s not to bust your chops at all.  Just finish.  Add something, take something away.  What?

Don't worry about your tone. I couldn't care less. 

Are you asking me for a realistic roster that includes 7 WRs? Again, I wasn't being literal about 7 WRs. But just for fun:

QB - J. Allen, K. Allen/Barkley (2)

RB - Cook, Harris, Murray (3)

FB - Gilliam (1)

WR - Diggs, Davis, Sherfield, Harty, Shakir, Isabella, Shorter (7)

TE - Knox, Kincaid, Morris (3)

OT - Dawkins, Brown, Quessenberry, Van Demark (4)

IOL - Morse, McGovern, Bates, Torrence, Edwards (5)

DE - Rousseau, Epenesa, Floyd, Lawson/Basham (4 - Miller PUP)

DT - Oliver, Jones, Phillips, Settle, Ford (5)

LB - Milano, Dodson, Bernard, Williams, Klein, Matakevich (6)

CB - White, Jackson, Johnson, Benford, Elam, Neal (6)

S - Poyer, Hyde, Rapp, Lewis/Hamlin (4)

K - Bass (1)

P - Martin (1)

LS - Ferguson (1)

When Miller returns, cut a DL. Lawson/Basham, Phillips, or Ford.

Edited by Airseven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.