FDA approves first OTC birth control pill

Doc

First posted in Abortion thread, goes here certainly too

Good news for women.

(Bad news for Democrat zealots)

First Ever Over-the-Counter Birth Control Gets FDA Approval After Years of Hesitancy

Republicans were attacked in the wake of the Dobbs decision, with some progressives warning that Republicans might go after birth control next.

However, Republicans have spent years pushing for greater access to OTC birth control as a way to combat abortion.

So why hasn’t it happened? It must be that awful, religious-right-dominated GOP that’s standing in the way, right?

Actually, not so much.

Republicans, in fact, have repeatedly tried to make birth control pills available without a prescription, only to face opposition from . . . Democrats and Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood stands to possibly lose money with FDA approvals like this, as 27 percent of their $1.7 billion in revenue comes from contraception. “If women are buying their pills at CVS,” Reynolds noted, “there’s no insurance money rake-off for Planned Parenthood.”

https://redstate.com/joesquire/2023/07/13/first-ever-over-the-counter-birth-control-gets-fda-approval-after-years-of-hesitancy-n775683

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sorry, posted this before I saw your post.  I can delete if you want.

Hell no.

It deserves a thread a lot more than some of these other repetitive screeds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

First posted in Abortion thread, goes here certainly too

Good news for women.

(Bad news for Democrat zealots)

First Ever Over-the-Counter Birth Control Gets FDA Approval After Years of Hesitancy

Republicans were attacked in the wake of the Dobbs decision, with some progressives warning that Republicans might go after birth control next.

However, Republicans have spent years pushing for greater access to OTC birth control as a way to combat abortion.

So why hasn’t it happened? It must be that awful, religious-right-dominated GOP that’s standing in the way, right?

Actually, not so much.

Republicans, in fact, have repeatedly tried to make birth control pills available without a prescription, only to face opposition from . . . Democrats and Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood stands to possibly lose money with FDA approvals like this, as 27 percent of their $1.7 billion in revenue comes from contraception. “If women are buying their pills at CVS,” Reynolds noted, “there’s no insurance money rake-off for Planned Parenthood.”

https://redstate.com/joesquire/2023/07/13/first-ever-over-the-counter-birth-control-gets-fda-approval-after-years-of-hesitancy-n775683

If you’re being honest…it’s also bad news for the many Christians and Catholics who preach against birth control in any form. 

I don’t say this often…but good for the Republicans that actually put that aside and pushed for this if that’s true. 

7 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

If you’re being honest…it’s also bad news for the many Christians and Catholics who preach against birth control in any form. 

I don’t say this often…but good for the Republicans that actually put that aside and pushed for this if that’s true. 

It's funny how people assume the religious folks are all on the right.  Or that most mainstream Catholics/christians abide by those old ways.  

Hopefully this is just the first option to hit the market this way and more will follow.  

35 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Yup

That is great news.  

One of these days they might do the same for male bc. 

Edited by Chris farley
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chris farley said:

this is great news. 

STD rates will continue to climb, but easy BC has proven to lower abortion rates.

Are they still no cost per the ACA? 

Yup.  Because condoms, which have always been OTC, are so hard to use... :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

My first cousin married a guy who is against birth control.  They have 5 kids and the husband has as little to do with them as he can. :angry:

19 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Or like to play with those who do…

Speaking of condoms, you could always have double-bagged it...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I’m saying this without knowing the potential side effects of these pills…but if they aren’t anything substantial I would say this is probably something that liberals and conservatives can agree on. 

I'm all for it as long as pharmacists screen for contraindications like breast cancer, smokers over 35, previous history of blood clots, possibly migraine headaches, drug interactions etc.  Also counsel them that they can be less effective while taking certain antibiotics.

scroll to contraindications

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK430882/

Edited by redtail hawk

3 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

One right here.  Personally and morally opposed to it but have no problem with it being sold OTC.  I’m sure I’ll anger some on my team so let me be clear first - I truly do not see this as a negative for anyone that uses it.  It’s not some indictment of bad character.  

It may be good for some but I overall consider it a net negative for society - it doesn’t make you a bad person for taking or using it no not at all.   

I truly believe there is a better way because I’ve lived it.  But I’ll take my moral opposition out of it as I don’t believe I have constitutional grounds to impose those on anyone.  As it should be.  But I’d be glad to talk with anyone about it.  

I think overall it’s a net negative because unfortunately it’s lead to a devaluation of sex.  Again - NOT AT ALL does that apply to everyone.  It works for millions of couples and marriages.    

However, it’s just math.  We by nature are pretty prone to making bad decisions. Tell 8 billion people you can have sex without real risk of pregnancy?  And, if you’re marrying someone who’s “body count” is over - let’s say 10 - you need to reconsider that person as marriage material.  IMO.  Some people that number is higher or lower - I’d like society to not be that way but, it’s a free country.  I think.  

And any perceived “moral decline” here I do believe the pill is one of several culprits - absolutely there are exceptions but it has simply not overall strengthened our relationships, marriages, and families. 

This isn’t a Democrat or Republican issue.  The data proves it.  Divorce rates shouldn’t be what they are and 20% of men over 40 shouldn’t be “never been married” if the pill is such an overall net positive.  It isn’t.  

Just think our focus needs to be on families marriages and kids.  

How to be strong fathers especially.  

Edited by Big Blitz

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Yup.  Because condoms, which have always been OTC, are so hard to use... :rolleyes:

The folks that can't afford them, probably need them the most.  I'm all for making bc easy as possible.  

Edited by Chris farley

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

And any perceived “moral decline” here I do believe the pill is one of several culprits - absolutely there are exceptions but it has simply not overall strengthened our relationships, marriages, and families.

I'm in my late 30s, and I'm watching incredibly smart, incredibly well educated people with their careers and finances squared away try to parent.  They aren't doing well. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

This isn’t a Democrat or Republican issue.  The data proves it.  Divorce rates shouldn’t be what they are and 20% of men over 40 shouldn’t be “never been married” if the pill is such an overall net positive.  It isn’t.  

Just think our focus needs to be on families marriages and kids.  

How to be strong fathers especially.  

I basically agree with you. So while we're trading hot takes...

I totally agree with a Lutheran Theologian, Jordan B Cooper, who basically says that the Nuclear Family is part of the problem. It used to be that family stretched out to include coworkers, 2nd cousins, close family friends, etc. Theses sorts of extended families were the real bedrock of communities. Then the Nuclear Family comes along and says the only thing that really matters is Your spouse, Your 2.3 kids, Your . 75 acres and Your three bedroom/two baths house.  

Now everyone knows what some Twitter celebrity is up to, but couldn't tell you their neighbor's last name. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I'm in my late 30s, and I'm watching incredibly smart, incredibly well educated people with their careers and finances squared away try to parent.  They aren't doing well. 

I basically agree with you. So while we're trading hot takes...

I totally agree with a Lutheran Theologian, Jordan B Cooper, who basically says that the Nuclear Family is part of the problem. It used to be that family stretched out to include coworkers, 2nd cousins, close family friends, etc. Theses sorts of extended families were the real bedrock of communities. Then the Nuclear Family comes along and says the only thing that really matters is Your spouse, Your 2.3 kids, Your . 75 acres and Your three bedroom/two baths house.  

Now everyone knows what some Twitter celebrity is up to, but couldn't tell you their neighbor's last name. 

Yea I never agreed with the idea that too much nuclear family involvement is detrimental or something like that.  I think grandparents and cousins being around is a net positive.  

Hillary Clinton may have been revealing her inner commie, but having nuclear family around doesn’t mean they’re raising your kid.  

Grandma and grandpa - if possible - go to your grandkids games or extracurricular activities.  

4 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Historically, Catholics have been mostly Democrats. Recently I believe they are pretty evenly split.

• Like (+1) 1

• 9 months later...
6 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Imagine that.

Billslime takes an old thread that proves how the GOP has always been promoting OTC access for birth control,

and tries (and fails) to attack Republicans, but only showing that he doesn't understand what "constitutionally unsound" means.

:flirt: 

13 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Imagine that.

Billslime takes an old thread that proves how the GOP has always been promoting OTC access for birth control,

and tries (and fails) to attack Republicans, but only showing that he doesn't understand what "constitutionally unsound" means.

:flirt: 

Bonnie - you’re just embarrassed how quickly you freaks flip on issues.

Save it