Receiving concerns on offense

Jerry Jabber

While I’m glad to see the Bills try and address the O-line, I’m not sure they’ve done enough to give Josh good/quality targets. IMO, going in the season with Gabe Davis as the #2 WR is a mistake. Davis underperformed last season as he struggled with drops and contested catches. I feel Davis is a better #3WR than the #2 WR. 

Trusting a rookie TE to be your slot guy is a huge risk. Would rather see a veteran WR in that position while they break Kincaid into that role.

I’m interested in seeing how the Bills use Harty and Sherfield, but neither guy has had eye-popping stats. 

If there are no further upgrades to the WR group going into the season, I have concerns about the WR’s outside of Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

While I’m glad to see the Bills try and address the O-line, I’m not sure they’ve done enough to give Josh good/quality targets. IMO, going in the season with Gabe Davis as the #2 WR is a mistake. Davis underperformed last season as he struggled with drops and contested catches. I feel Davis is a better #3WR than the #2 WR. 

Trusting a rookie TE to be your slot guy is a huge risk. Would rather see a veteran WR in that position while they break Kincaid into that role.

I’m interested in seeing how the Bills use Harty and Sherfield, but neither guy has had eye-popping stats. 

If there are no further upgrades to the WR group going into the season, I have concerns about the WR’s outside of Diggs. 

I don’t think the staff is completely trusting Kincaid to be the starting slot. They have Shakir, Harty, and Sherfield to all compete with Kincaid and more than likely platoon based on opponent/game flow. It’s more accurate to say The Bills trust they will get production with the guys they have out of the slot. It’s still a risk, but not as much as you make it sound. 

Outside wr is still a question mark and we don’t seem to have too much depth. If Diggs or Davis go down we really don’t have many options outside, especially proven options. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TBBills Fan said:

The football gods of course.....

You do not pray to them?

They do not answer you back?

I do pray to them. Unfortunately, the answers I get back are always the same.....

"Sorry, not this time!"

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Fleezoid said:

I do pray to them. Unfortunately, the answers I get back are always the same.....

"Sorry, not this time!"

They just typically send me back a "LOL"

or a "LMFAO"

I wont lie, it hurts when they do that.

Similar to the poker gods

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

I don’t think the staff is completely trusting Kincaid to be the starting slot. They have Shakir, Harty, and Sherfield to all compete with Kincaid and more than likely platoon based on opponent/game flow. It’s more accurate to say The Bills trust they will get production with the guys they have out of the slot. It’s still a risk, but not as much as you make it sound. 

Outside wr is still a question mark and we don’t seem to have too much depth. If Diggs or Davis go down we really don’t have many options outside, especially proven options. 

IMO, the Bills have a #1 Diggs, #3 (but being used as a #2), Davis, but the rest of the WR’s are lower level WR’s. Sorry, but I have a hard time seeing these guys beat teams like the Bengals and Chiefs in the playoffs, especially after seeing the Bills only score ten points in the playoff game against the Bengals this past January.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

Davis was not as bad as everyone claims. He actually has solid #2 WR numbers. 836 yards and 7 TD's. He had some drops, but he can overcome that.

With the other additions, I think the receiving room is more talented and has a wider variety of skills and body types.

Yes, bringing in another legit receiver would have been helpful, but I think Beane still did well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The biggest weaknesses on offense last year were:

Saffold at LG -replaced by McGovern

Bates at RG - replaced by Torrence (eventually)

Brown at RT -he will be a year removed from back surgery and he will compete with Shell

Crowder/Mckenzie at Slot -replaced by Harty/Shakir/Sherfield/Kincaid

(I think we will rotate a ton in the slot)

We have clearly struggled to replace Beasley's consistency in the slot, but I think the diversity of options we have this year will give us a better ability to exploit matchups. I don't think there are a lot of slot corners with the ability to guard against Harty's speed and Kincaid's size.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

Davis was not as bad as everyone claims. He actually has solid #2 WR numbers. 836 yards and 7 TD's. He had some drops, but he can overcome that.

With the other additions, I think the receiving room is more talented and has a wider variety of skills and body types.

Yes, bringing in another legit receiver would have been helpful, but I think Beane still did well.

I think Davis's stats are a little misleading when people are debating whether he's a #2 or not (and of course people's definition of a #2). He makes his hay on long routes where he only has to make one move and beat one guy. Fully 1/8 of those stats you mentioned came on one play last year. To me, a #2 can run a full route tree with effectiveness and doesn't drop routine throws. They might not be able to beat double coverage but they can still separate at all levels of the field. Davis doesn't have that reliability in those aspects.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Well, it's fine to be skeptical - I have my own skepticism - but what would you have preferred them to do?

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Well, it's fine to be skeptical - I have my own skepticism - but what would you have preferred them to do?

Brought in a WR to battle it out for the #2 WR position, preferably a Veteran WR, someone that can run a full route tree (similar to how the Bills brought in Emmanuel Sanders). I’m still crossing my fingers the Bills can land Hopkins, but that’s on Hopkins and how much he’s willing to play for. 

Successful offenses have at least three good WR’s (Chiefs, Bengals come to mind). Enough of wasting all this capital (Draft picks or Free Agency) on the D-line!!!

1 hour ago, Saint Douggie said:

I think Shakir can be an outside WR. He reminds me of Diggs, who was also drafted in the fifth round

Shakir probably works in the slot this season and moves outside next season if Davis signs elsewhere or maybe stays in the slot and Shorter plays on the outside. 

2 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Brought in a WR to battle it out for the #2 WR position, preferably a Veteran WR, someone that can run a full route tree (similar to how the Bills brought in Emmanuel Sanders). I’m still crossing my fingers the Bills can land Hopkins, but that’s on Hopkins and how much he’s willing to play for. 

Successful offenses have at least three good WR’s (Chiefs, Bengals come to mind). Enough of wasting all this capital (Draft picks or Free Agency) on the D-line!!!

Outside of Kelce the Chiefs WRs are not all that great. Toney might be good but Skyy Mooore was a bit of a disappointment as a rookie and I can't tell you who they signed to replace JuJu, I know they drafted a kid but as we saw with Skyy last year, rookies struggle. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Outside of Kelce the Chiefs WRs are not all that great. Toney might be good but Skyy Mooore was a bit of a disappointment as a rookie and I can't tell you who they signed to replace JuJu, I know they drafted a kid but as we saw with Skyy last year, rookies struggle. 

You make it sound like the Chiefs didn’t win the Superbowl last season.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

You make it sound like the Chiefs didn’t win the Superbowl last season.

Last year's Chiefs team was better than what they putting out there this season. As they lost of an above average LT, a good slot WR and pass rushing DE and not sure they brought in equal talent back.  

Edited by The Jokeman

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Last year's Chiefs team was better than what they putting out there this season. As they lost of an above average LT, a good slot WR and pass rushing DE and not sure they brought in equal talent back.  

The Chiefs won two Superbowls in four years, plus the Bengals whooped the Bills 27-10 in the playoffs. Bills also haven’t been able to beat the Chiefs in the playoffs. Just stating the facts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.