Josh Allen Achieves Childhood Dream - (Josh Allen to be Madden 2024 Cover Reported on Twitter)

Chaos

10 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The "Madden Curse" was always a pretty iffy idea, even for superstitious people. 

Yes there are some players who got hurt or played poorly after being featured on the cover.  But have always plenty of guys who played great, even back in the earliest days.  Ray Lewis for example was a 1st Team All-Pro the same year he was on the game.  Calvin Johnson set the receiving yardage record.  Patrick Mahomes won the Super Bowl.  If you actually take a look, more guys have continued to have injury-free Pro-Bowl level seasons than suffered from the so-called curse.

Here is a list of each cover athlete:

https://www.si.com/fantasy/2021/06/17/history-madden-nfl-curse

Plus curses are about as real as the Easter Bunny.

• Agree 1

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Wait…so there’s no such thing as a Bills franchise curse? Are you saying the team just hasn’t been good enough to win any titles?

YEP!

My Red Sox went through a little 86 year draught, and folks thought that was a curse too.  Turns out once the team became well run and avoided racist personnel choices, we won 4 championships in 14 years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Plus curses are about as real as the Easter Bunny.

I agree that sports curses aren't necessarily real, at least in the supernatural sense.

But I absolutely do believe that if players start believing their team is cursed, it can mentally affect how they play on the field.

I gotta' say..........if they needed ex-pat Bills fans for the cover photo with Allen they couldn't have picked a better group than the Bills fans at Busby's in Santa Monica.    I met @Kelly the Dog there for the 2014 game versus Minnesota and the energy in that place during the game was as close to being in the stadium as you could get.   The place was electric even when it was a mostly lousy, boring effort by the Bills until the dramatic finish. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

What has josh accomplished to be put on this cover? He didn’t lead the league in any important stat last year, he has consistently been off in the playoffs and he hasn’t won the Super Bowl plus he has public women relationship issues. Josh doesn’t need a big ego, he needs to win. 

Only player in nfl history with 3 straight 40 TD seasons 

most exciting player alive

he can do everything mahomes can on the field but the same is not true for the opposite 

he is a great leader , teammate and nfl fan favorite 

and FYI Allen has the #6 highest postseason passer rating of all time … higher than Brady

Edited by Buffalo716

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Only player in nfl history with 3 straight 40 TD seasons 

most exciting player alive

he can do everything mahomes can on the field but the same is not true for the opposite 

he is a great leader , teammate and nfl fan favorite 

and FYI Allen has the #6 highest postseason passer rating of all time … higher than Brady

Good points for sure.   He's great and exciting and deserves it.

And he CAN do everything Mahomes can..........he just doesn't.   He's just not as accurate and misses way too many throws that are easy/routine for Mahomes.   Not sure there is anything he can do about that.........Mahomes arm talent is the greatest the NFL has ever seen.    Not in terms of pure arm strength but the power combined with the touch and ability to throw from all angles, etc..   Josh can do it but not as consistently.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Good points for sure.   He's great and exciting and deserves it.

And he CAN do everything Mahomes can..........he just doesn't.   He's just not as accurate and misses way too many throws that are easy/routine for Mahomes.   Not sure there is anything he can do about that.........Mahomes arm talent is the greatest the NFL has ever seen.    Not in terms of pure arm strength but the power combined with the touch and ability to throw from all angles, etc..   Josh can do it but not as consistently.

Don’t discount Joshs ability to keep improving his arm 

he made massive strides from year 1-3 and certainly can still achieve better touch and timing 

He’s still a baby in quarterback development compared to most pros

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Don’t discount Joshs ability to keep improving his arm 

he made massive strides from year 1-3 and certainly can still achieve better touch and timing 

He’s still a baby in quarterback development compared to most pros

I don't discount his ability to improve........if the conditions are conducive to doing so.

But he has regressed as a passer since 2020.   I think that's because he has had  increasingly lesser receiving talent at his disposal in 2021 and then 2022........and lesser blocking..........and has subsequently had to run more and taken much more of a week-to-week beating.    

That wear and tear......including his second career UCL strain last year........is obviously going to impact his ability to improve to the level of fluidity and precision as a passer the way Mahomes is.    I'm not sure the situation around him has improved enough to expect that this season.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't discount his ability to improve........if the conditions are conducive to doing so.

But he has regressed as a passer since 2020.   I think that's because he has had  increasingly lesser receiving talent at his disposal in 2021 and then 2022........and lesser blocking..........and has subsequently had to run more and taken much more of a week-to-week beating.    

That wear and tear......including his second career UCL strain last year........is obviously going to impact his ability to improve to the level of fluidity and precision as a passer the way Mahomes is.    I'm not sure the situation around him has improved enough to expect that this season.

I think the small dip As a passer is 100% do to the people around him

Tom Brady improved as a passer until he was in 30s.. He was constantly getting better inside the pocket, at Maneuvering… Throwing under pressure, arm strength , trusting receivers 

Tom Brady massively improved his ability to throw through 30s

I think in the NFL you’re either progressing or regressing… no static … Because if you’re staying the same other players are getting better and pushing you back

I do firmly believe Josh is in the will get better category even if the stats don’t always show it because it’s a team game

I have said this before and I firmly believe it… I think when Josh is 30-31 he will break every single passing record 

He will have the experience and knowledge and talent… And I could legit see him throwing for 6000 yards and 60 tds 

It still has not came all together yet which is scary for the NFL… It has in bits

but he is not done improving , I 💯 believe that

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think the small dip As a passer is 100% do to the people around him

Tom Brady improved as a passer until he was close to 30… He was constantly getting better inside the pocket, at Maneuvering… Throwing under pressure, arm strength 

Tom Brady massively improved his ability to throw till 30

Likewise,  Mahomes is probably only going to keep raising the bar.    He's a hard worker and great athlete as well.

I think the 10 points higher passer rating and 5% greater completion % in recent years and nearly a full yard better per pass attempt for their career is very indicative of the notable differences between Mahomes and Allen.

I think Allen is going to need a bit more around him than Mahomes has just to even those numbers out or maybe be even better as a passer.    It's why I have been on the Hopkins train even though I think what they have *could* be enough if a lot of less than likely things transpire.    

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Likewise,  Mahomes is probably only going to keep raising the bar.    He's a hard worker and great athlete as well.

I think the 10 points higher passer rating and 5% greater completion % in recent years and nearly a full yard better per pass attempt for their career is very indicative of the notable differences between Mahomes and Allen.

I think Allen is going to need a bit more around him than Mahomes has just to even those numbers out or maybe be even better as a passer.    It's why I have been on the Hopkins train even though I think what they have *could* be enough if a lot of less than likely things transpire.    

Those are fair points 

But I think it’s also fair to say that Josh Allens Development was rapid while Pat came into a great spot and more developed already 

Josh’s first three years were hectic… Pat got groomed in a great spot and went into a better situation 6 years ago 

Pat is 100% more consistent but that comes with repetition … it really does 

Who really was better at their peak? Manning or Brady ? I think Manning was the scarier player

But you’ll never be wrong saying Tom Brady who is considered the goat

I think the difference between Josh and Pat is very very small… Because you’re talking about the two best quarterbacks in the world… it’s the consistency that sets pat ahead rn 

But the game will slow down for Josh even more and he will get very consistent… And then Joshs ability as the best athlete on the football field might take him to a different level

This just goes to show how entertaining it is to watch Allen play football.  The throws the runs everything.  Buffalo having the most used player in madden and most sold jerseys in the NFL is something we all have waited for.  He will 100% take this franchise to a Lombardi. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Those are fair points 

But I think it’s also fair to say that Josh Allens Development was rapid while Pat came into a great spot and more developed already 

Josh’s first three years were hectic… Pat got groomed in a great spot and went into a better situation 6 years ago 

Who really was better at their peak? Manning or Brady ? I think Manning was the scarier player

I think the difference between Josh and Pat is very very small… Because you’re talking about the two best quarterbacks in the world… it’s the consistency that sets pat ahead rn 

But the game will slow down for Josh even more and he will get very consistent… And then Joshs ability as the best athlete on the football field might take him to a different level

I expect Allen approach this season is similar to Mahomes last year.  Take the open easy pass.  No need to pass up a gimme for a shot.  

They are Aliens who can take a nothing play into the best play of the game.  Two years ago Mahomes chased the deep ball.  Last year Allen chased it. Allen is going machine.  

I expect Cook, Kincaid and Knox underneath are going be surgical.  When you got a guy open take it.  No need to force it. 

Lets not forget his injury.  Brock Purdy for San fran had a similar injury in the NFC championship.  He never re entered and his status for week 1 is murky.  Allen lost 2 games after his including the playoffs.  The guy did not throw during the week most of the year and was still top 5.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Those are fair points 

I agree with all of that I just think Mahomes is just a more naturally loose, fluid athlete.    He's Mookie Betts.....a great player who can basically do anything that is asked of a player...........and Josh is Aaron Judge.    But there just aren't any fences in the NFL to drive up Josh's value over that of Mahomes..........so Josh being bigger and stronger only matters if they are taking the same amount of punishment or HAVE to run as much.    In 2020 when some scouts were projecting that Allen was going to become BETTER than Mahomes the Bills and Chiefs had more similar personnel quality at OL and receiving targets.

The Chiefs realized that Mahomes was getting hit too much but wanted him to be able to continue to extend plays.........so they've gone HEAVY wrt stocking the OL for him so he can be the best he can be but take a fraction of the punishment that he would if he were extending plays with a middling OL.    On paper,  the Bills haven't tried the same with Josh.   They haven't had the quality or depth of weapons or the quality of OL........along with the coaching advantage..........and I think that has stalled his development the past 2 years more than anything.    

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree with all of that I just think Mahomes is just a more naturally loose, fluid athlete.    He's Mookie Betts.....a great player who can basically do anything that is asked of a player...........and Josh is Aaron Judge.    But there just aren't any fences in the NFL to drive up Josh's value over that of Mahomes..........so Josh being bigger and stronger only matters if they are taking the same amount of punishment or HAVE to run as much.    In 2020 when some scouts were projecting that Allen was going to become BETTER than Mahomes the Bills and Chiefs had more similar personnel quality at OL and receiving targets.

The Chiefs realized that Mahomes was getting hit too much but wanted him to be able to continue to extend plays.........so they've gone HEAVY wrt stocking the OL for him so he can be the best he can be but take a fraction of the punishment that he would if he were extending plays with a middling OL.    On paper,  the Bills haven't tried the same with Josh.   They haven't had the quality or depth of weapons or the quality of OL........along with the coaching advantage..........and I think that has stalled his development the past 2 years more than anything.    

The Chiefs protecting Mahomes was the biggest asset

Bills trotting out raw rookies at right tackle like Spencer Brown or sieves at guard has absolutely hurt Josh

And I like your baseball comparison… Josh to me is more Shohei, pure power with speed and yea Pat is Mookey or ken Griffey jr like … silk

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen Talks Being On Cover Of Madden NFL 24: "It's A Blessing"

Crib notes:

• He got the call on it from his agent in March
  • It was a surprise to Bills fans brought in for photoshoot
  • He was under contract to not tell although he did tell a "few players"

He mentioned a LA Bills Backers group but he sort of backed out of using team pushed Bills Mafia.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.