NYSE halts trading of Audacy stock (WGRs owner)

PromoTheRobot

• PromoTheRobot changed the title to NYSE halts trading of Audacy stock (WGRs owner)
1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

More than likely grossly overestimated sales of their 'SAL! Capaccio' sweatshirts, or income from all the national commercials for gambling and tax debt relief into the parent corporation ain't diddly. 🤔

I bet a lot of those ads are what they call "PI" or per inquiry. Ever hear an ad that has a code? ("Call now and use the code 'WGR'....") That's to identify what media brought in the customer. Stations get paid only for responses. It used to be something only heard overnights. Now?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

More than likely grossly overestimated sales of their 'SAL! Capaccio' sweatshirts, or income from all the national commercials for gambling and tax debt relief into the parent corporation ain't diddly. 🤔

Or how about "what's your one thing?"

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I should think that “Big Lou” and his life insurance would bail Audacy out 

• Haha (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Howard Simon's monthly retirement cheque sunk them. 🤔

It's probably why he left. Don't be shocked if some big names start getting dropped. If I'm Jeremy White I'd be nervous. Companies look at the largest paychecks first. And WGR has plenty of Buff State comm majors to fill air shifts.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

"Sapristi bombpetts!  We eat tonight!"

So is the sentiment around Audacy HQ, as the sale of the former WBEN-FM to a Christian broadcasting group finalizes.

https://buffalonews.com/entertainment/alan-pergament-star-102-5-will-sign-off-friday-after-sale-to-religious-broadcaster/article_b8ea424c-05fb-11ee-a840-efb097220540.html#tracking-source=mp-homepage

On 5/17/2023 at 9:10 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

It's probably why he left. Don't be shocked if some big names start getting dropped. If I'm Jeremy White I'd be nervous. Companies look at the largest paychecks first. And WGR has plenty of Buff State comm majors to fill air shifts.

They may have to start sending people overboard.  The ESPN model is to keep the rights to the event, and to pay the people who cover the event as little as possible.  Given the millions Audacy pays the Bills each year for those rights, they may have to shed some bodies.  They’ll probably get rid of some management first, but air talent could be in play.  I think Jeremy is safe.  But if I was Schopp/Bulldog and I had DiBiase and Sal hanging around . . . I’d be concerned.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

They may have to start sending people overboard.  The ESPN model is to keep the rights to the event, and to pay the people who cover the event as little as possible.  Given the millions Audacy pays the Bills each year for those rights, they may have to shed some bodies.  They’ll probably get rid of some management first, but air talent could be in play.  I think Jeremy is safe.  But if I was Schopp/Bulldog and I had DiBiase and Sal hanging around . . . I’d be concerned.  

How many million(s) would that be?

4 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I've always wondered why WGR (Buffalo) and WROC (Rochester) are not sharing a signal. Two radio stations for the cost of one.

That's probably next on the list. But they can't afford to lose Rochester sales if WROC was a straight Buffalo simulcast.

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

How many million(s) would that be?

I searched but can't find an actual dollar amount. I'm sure it's 7-figures.

5 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I cant imagine how much they are paying Schopp and Bulldog.  As someone who actually defends Mike Schopp, but has no idea what Bulldog brings to the table, those guys should be easy-cuts.  

I don't believe I have ever witnessed someone retaining a job, yet going through the motions for as many years as Bulldog has.  He doesn't contribute anything of quality, puts little effort in, and clearly doesnt care. 

As far as Schopp goes... his who act is pretty stale, and honestly the constant fantasy and gambling talk is boring.

They could replace them with any of those younger, hungrier, and most importantly cheaper kids and their station would be enriched for it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I cant imagine how much they are paying Schopp and Bulldog.  As someone who actually defends Mike Schopp, but has no idea what Bulldog brings to the table, those guys should be easy-cuts.  

I don't believe I have ever witnessed someone retaining a job, yet going through the motions for as many years as Bulldog has.  He doesn't contribute anything of quality, puts little effort in, and clearly doesnt care. 

As far as Schopp goes... his who act is pretty stale, and honestly the constant fantasy and gambling talk is boring.

They could replace them with any of those younger, hungrier, and most importantly cheaper kids and their station would be enriched for it. 

I think you are a little harsh on Bulldog, though I can't recall someone paid to speak who speaks as poorly as him.  He has a huge stammering problem that drives me insane. 

I tend to defend Schopp too, but I think I'm done with him after many years.  He absolutely loves himself and is clearly too comfortable in his position.  At any moment, he'll meander off on a 8 minute tirade about the funny thing his son Julius said at the breakfast table.  I don't need to hear that stuff, ever.

And as you say, he is OBSESSED with gambling.  Keep track of how long he can go without making a reference to gambling, odds, betting, point spreads, fantasy sports talk, etc..

I have no interest in ANY of that.  I'm not sure why anyone would want to him talk about his 17 fantasy football teams.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.