Useless Bills fact that may be interesting as we wait the 127 or so days until the opening kickoff.

Bills lost to the Jags in the 2017 season playoffs and beat them the next time they played them.

Bills lost to the Texans in the 2019 season playoffs and beat them the next time they played them.

Bills lost to the Chiefs in the 2020 season playoffs and beat them the next time they played them.

Bills lost to the Chiefs in the 2021 season playoffs and beat them the next time they played them.

The one thing we all learn about stats is that past performance is always 100% indicative of future results and can never, ever vary.

I’m sorry, Cincy.   Facts are just that…facts.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

We're so awesome at winning when it doesn't count.  Remember the game in Dallas where Emmitt was holding out?  We won 13-10 on a last-second INT, to avenge the embarrassment in Pasadena.  Then we got waxed 30-13 in SB XXVIII.  We're kings of the regular season, whoopee!!!

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I really don't care about regular season wins, even blowouts, when you get out classed physically and outcoached when it matters most.  That's 3 straight years

Well, you have to care about regular season wins because you need enough of them to make the playoffs.  On the bright side at least McDermott has four playoff wins as opposed to someone like Marvin Lewis.  Imagine being a Bengals fan and watching your coach go 0-7 in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Bills lost to the Jags in the 2017 season playoffs and beat them the next time they played them.

Bills lost to the Texans in the 2019 season playoffs and beat them the next time they played them.

Bills lost to the Chiefs in the 2020 season playoffs and beat them the next time they played them.

Bills lost to the Chiefs in the 2021 season playoffs and beat them the next time they played them.

The one thing we all learn about stats is that past performance is always 100% indicative of future results and can never, ever vary.

I’m sorry, Cincy.   Facts are just that…facts.

Go Bills!

I don't remember the details but we had something going like that in the 90s, too.  After losing to teams in the SB, we'd beat them in the next regular season.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

In 1961, the Bills became the first, last and only AFL team to lose a game to a CFL club as they dropped a 38-21 decision to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in front of a crowd of 12,000.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=NlcrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=j50FAAAAIBAJ&pg=3039%2C1390338

Weren't they also only team to play a CFL team?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't remember the details but we had something going like that in the 90s, too.  After losing to teams in the SB, we'd beat them in the next regular season.  

I don't know, Hondo.  I know we eat the Cowboys (as referenced above) early on in 93 after the 92 season Super Bowl.  However, my memory is blank on how we did that same year, as well, against Washington and the Giants.

....Just checked.  You are sort of correct with that.  In 1993 we beat every team we lost to in the Super Bowl and we swept the East entirely as we also beat the Eagles.

16 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

In 1961, the Bills became the first, last and only AFL team to lose a game to a CFL club as they dropped a 38-21 decision to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in front of a crowd of 12,000.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=NlcrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=j50FAAAAIBAJ&pg=3039%2C1390338

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

It is a good thing we have never, ever put the Ti-Cats back on the schedule.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

That game was pretty skewed in their favor, though. They played CFL rules, which are quite different. The Bills had only existed for 1 year, too. It took a long time for AFL teams to get up to the level of NFL teams.

The game was also played during the preseason of the Bills, but the middle of the season for the CFL team, so they were in shape.

Previous matches between the NFL and CFL had them play CFL rules during the first half, and NFL rules during the 2nd half. The NFL teams won all those games. Not sure why they didn't do the same for this game.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

They played a few NFL teams in those days too. But yeah, no other AFL teams. The AFL was in its infancy then.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I really don't care about regular season wins, even blowouts, when you get out classed physically and outcoached when it matters most.  That's 3 straight years

That's an interesting thing about the NFL.  32 teams start the season.  Only the 14 best teams make the playoffs.  13 of the best teams end their season with a heartbreaking loss.  Obviously, I'd rather be the team that hoists the Lombardi.  But minus that, I'm glad we're one of the elite 14. 

The regular season wins get us into the second-season (i.e. playoffs) where we at least have a chance for a SB.   That's why I personally care about regular-season wins. 

One way to think about it is that the best teams win lottery tickets.  Each ticket has a 1-in-14 chance of a Lombardi trophy.  I'd rather have a lottery ticket than not have one.  If you earn enough lottery tickets, the odds of winning it all get pretty good.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.