Chiefs signing former Bucs LT Donovan Smith

DJB

On 5/3/2023 at 7:28 PM, 90sBills said:

Not sure how KC’s roster is downgraded. They added depth on their Oline. Greatly improved their DLine. All their rookies from last year will have a year under their belts. And of course Mahomes and Kelce are still there. Very envious of what they’ve been able to do while supposedly tight on cap space. 

Agreed!!!! All this talk about KC downgrading and there going to take a step back , reminds me of the NE days , we’re bills fans said that every year, only too watch them hold up the Lombardi… I will wait to pass judgement lol….. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/4/2023 at 6:12 AM, GunnerBill said:

I'm sorry I disagree. I disagree with you on Brown and I disagree on Jawaan Taylor being better. I suggest you go watch some of his Jacksonville film. Brown is a much better player than Taylor is all facets. If you want to compare their careers at right tackle the discrepancy is huge. The chances of a worse right tackle than Brown being a better left tackle than Brown are next to none. 

I don't make any comment on Morris, maybe he is a diamond in the rough. But if he isn't Smith and Taylor as a tackle combo is a downgrade on what the Chiefs had last year. 

Well Andy Reid agreed to pay Taylor way more that’s what Brown got, and he’s got as good of a track record at building offensive lines as anyone on the planet.  I have to assume he watched some Jacksonville film before he made that decision.

5 hours ago, 97bills said:

Agreed!!!! All this talk about KC downgrading and there going to take a step back , reminds me of the NE days , we’re bills fans said that every year, only too watch them hold up the Lombardi… I will wait to pass judgement lol….. 

We weren't very good in the NE days.

4 hours ago, Billl said:

Well Andy Reid agreed to pay Taylor way more that’s what Brown got, and he’s got as good of a track record at building offensive lines as anyone on the planet.  I have to assume he watched some Jacksonville film before he made that decision.

But he has had his share of free agency blunders in his career too. Nobody forgets the Philadelphia dream team.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/andy-reid-confirms-donovan-smith-will-play-left-tackle/

looks like he’ll start @ LT because they don’t have any confidence in Taylor playing LT or the other scrubs playing RT.  

didn’t even give Taylor a chance at LT after paying him 20M aav to play LT.  🤣 

After signing Smith.....who they didn't have at the time they signed Taylor, they've decided to just keep Taylor on the right side.  Before that signing, he was going to be on the left side.  Paying Taylor that money and keeping him on the right is fine.  Ramczyk got more fully guaranteed than Taylor (43m to 40) and just as much in total guarantees (60m). Lane makes more per year. McGlinchey got 5 less fully guaranteed and 7.5 less total. It's a RT market deal, in an NFL where the difference between the right and left tackle isn't what it used to be.  

I remain confident their O line is better than last years.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

After signing Smith.....who they didn't have at the time they signed Taylor, they've decided to just keep Taylor on the right side.  Before that signing, he was going to be on the left side.  Paying Taylor that money and keeping him on the right is fine.  Ramczyk got more fully guaranteed than Taylor (43m to 40) and just as much in total guarantees (60m). Lane makes more per year. McGlinchey got 5 less fully guaranteed and 7.5 less total. It's a RT market deal, in an NFL where the difference between the right and left tackle isn't what it used to be.  

I remain confident their O line is better than last years.

You’re comparing him to players that were paid similarly, but are superior players.  Lane johnson?  Ryan Ramczyk.  If you think he’s as good as them, I want some of whatever you’re smoking.   Lol.  Your boy isn’t them 

i’m glad your happy with the contract.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

You’re comparing him to players that were paid similarly, but are superior players.  Lane johnson?  Ryan Ramczyk.  If you think he’s as good as them, I want some of whatever you’re smoking.   Lol.  Your boy isn’t them 

i’m glad your happy with the contract.

Agree. I do think Taylor is an upgrade at right tackle on Wylie. That is a fair a take. But he isn't Lane or Ramczyk or Jack Conklin. So he is an upgrade, but an overpaid one. 

As for Smith my view on him is well known (and long pre-dates him going to KC). Never thought he was worth what the Buccs paid him and think he was awful last year. If they get the absolute peak Smith it might be a wash from Orlando Brown but he has been in the league 8 seasons and played at true franchise left tackle level once in those 8 years. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. I do think Taylor is an upgrade at right tackle on Wylie. That is a fair a take. But he isn't Lane or Ramczyk or Jack Conklin. So he is an upgrade, but an overpaid one. 

As for Smith my view on him is well known (and long pre-dates him going to KC). Never thought he was worth what the Buccs paid him and think he was awful last year. If they get the absolute peak Smith it might be a wash from Orlando Brown but he has been in the league 8 seasons and played at true franchise left tackle level once in those 8 years. 

KC is putting a LOT on their QB, we’d be murdering our front office for doing what they’re doing - relying on a patchwork line and a bunch of reclamation projects at receiver.  

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

KC is putting a LOT on their QB, we’d be murdering our front office for doing what they’re doing - relying on a patchwork line and a bunch of reclamation projects at receiver.  

Well now we’ve just lost our minds.  The KC interior line was arguably the best in football last season.  The tackles sphere a weakness, and they’ve been replaced.  Jawaan Taylor and Donovan Smith are at worst equal to Brown and Wylie. Brown is a good player but a poor fit in that offense while Wylie was a backup caliber Guard doing his best at RT.  I’d take Thuney, Creed, Trey, and Taylor over all four of their counterparts in Buffalo.  If the Bills have an edge at LT, it’s minimal.  It’s hardly a patchwork line.

The WR room is largely unproven, but the offense has proven it can be championship level without stars there as long as they’ve got a top 5 pass catcher in the league who just happens to line up next to the tackles on occasion.  Even so, there’s a lot of young potential with Toney, Moore, and Rice all age 24 and under.  Compare that to Buffalo who has Diggs and not much else, and I don’t see some glaring advantage.

Pretty sure Andy Reid and Brett Veach aren’t worried about getting murdered by their fans unless it’s from getting mobbed at yet another Super Bowl parade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

53 minutes ago, Billl said:

Well now we’ve just lost our minds.  The KC interior line was arguably the best in football last season.  The tackles sphere a weakness, and they’ve been replaced.  Jawaan Taylor and Donovan Smith are at worst equal to Brown and Wylie. Brown is a good player but a poor fit in that offense while Wylie was a backup caliber Guard doing his best at RT.  I’d take Thuney, Creed, Trey, and Taylor over all four of their counterparts in Buffalo.  If the Bills have an edge at LT, it’s minimal.  It’s hardly a patchwork line.

The WR room is largely unproven, but the offense has proven it can be championship level without stars there as long as they’ve got a top 5 pass catcher in the league who just happens to line up next to the tackles on occasion.  Even so, there’s a lot of young potential with Toney, Moore, and Rice all age 24 and under.  Compare that to Buffalo who has Diggs and not much else, and I don’t see some glaring advantage.

Pretty sure Andy Reid and Brett Veach aren’t worried about getting murdered by their fans unless it’s from getting mobbed at yet another Super Bowl parade.

I think your point on LG to RT is a fair one now that Taylor is playing on the right side. All 4 of them are better in their spots than the guys the Bills have until proven otherwise (I'm think possibly Torrence when I say that). But it is more than a minimal difference at LT in my view. I am long since on record as not thinking Donovan Smith is much good. Dawkins isn't an elite guy by any stretch, but he is a top 10/12 starter. Smith has been that once in 8 seasons. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billl said:

We will have to agree to disagree re: Taylor - I have never liked his game and I think he'll get exposed having to move laterally as Mahomes improvs and alters the pocket location.  To me he is the definition of a soft, bad-bodied average RT.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

We will have to agree to disagree re: Taylor - I have never liked his game and I think he'll get exposed having to move laterally as Mahomes improvs and alters the pocket location.  To me he is the definition of a soft, bad-bodied average RT.

I agree re: Taylor and he is definitely overpaid. But until proven otherwise he is better than Spencer Brown. Think that is fair. If Spencer ever puts it together that might be a different story, but as of now here today going into year 3 Spencer is still a talented project, not a proven commodity. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think your point on LG to RT is a fair one now that Taylor is playing on the right side. All 4 of them are better in their spots than the guys the Bills have until proven otherwise (I'm think possibly Torrence when I say that). But it is more than a minimal difference at LT in my view. I am long since on record as not thinking Donovan Smith is much good. Dawkins isn't an elite guy by any stretch, but he is a top 10/12 starter. Smith has been that once in 8 seasons. 

From the limited amount I know about Torrence, I think he’ll be good.  If he winds up eventually being on the level of Trey Smith, it was a great pick given where he was taken in the draft.  If the expectation is that he plays at that level as a rookie, then that’s unreasonable.   I do find it funny that there are 100 threads talking about how Josh would win MVP if he had a line half as good as Mahomes, but the minute someone suggests that the Chiefs have a better line than the Bills, there’s an outpouring of negative responses (not referring to you).  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This can’t be. People on here keep insisting it’s so much easier for their qb. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Billl said:

From the limited amount I know about Torrence, I think he’ll be good.  If he winds up eventually being on the level of Trey Smith, it was a great pick given where he was taken in the draft.  If the expectation is that he plays at that level as a rookie, then that’s unreasonable.   I do find it funny that there are 100 threads talking about how Josh would win MVP if he had a line half as good as Mahomes, but the minute someone suggests that the Chiefs have a better line than the Bills, there’s an outpouring of negative responses (not referring to you).  

What I find funny is how you just make up all this nonsense.  

PLEASE quote the posts that backup your comment “but the minute someone suggests that the Chiefs have a better line than the Bills, there’s an outpouring of negative responses”. 

Again.  You’re on a Bills forum as a fan of our biggest competitors and rival.  There are fans that think you paid too much for an average RT.  There are many people that think that Smith is toast.  

But where is this OUTPOURING OF NEGATIVE RESPONSES that you speak of clamoring that the Bills have a better line than KC?  

Joke See GIF by Joe Budden Network
and I can see you from 2000 miles away. Trash

edit:  The chiefs have a better line than the Bills.  They overpaid one guy to fill a hole at LT, then moved him to RT after they signed an old man that was bad last year yo play LT.  Do you expect us to fawn over these 2 moves?  Please

Edited by NewEra
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What I find funny is how you just make up all this nonsense.  

PLEASE quote the posts that backup your comment “but the minute someone suggests that the Chiefs have a better line than the Bills, there’s an outpouring of negative responses”. 

Again.  You’re on a Bills forum as a fan of our biggest competitors and rival.  There are fans that think you paid too much for an average RT.  There are many people that think that Smith is toast.  

But where is this OUTPOURING OF NEGATIVE RESPONSES that you speak of clamoring that the Bills have a better line than KC?  

Joke See GIF by Joe Budden Network
and I can see you from 2000 miles away. Trash

edit:  The chiefs have a better line than the Bills.  They overpaid one guy to fill a hole at LT, then moved him to RT after they signed an old man that was bad last year yo play LT.  Do you expect us to fawn over these 2 moves?  Please

I’m not expecting you to fawn over anything the Chiefs do.  I understand that you’re a charter member of the “only the Bills have good players” club.  I’m just amused by the simultaneous notions here that Mahomes only wins championships and MVPs over Josh because Kansas City has a better line and better weapons than Buffalo…but also that Bills fans would be “murdering their front office” if they allowed Josh to be surrounded with a “patchwork offensive line” and a bunch of “reclamation projects” at receiver.  Seems like those are diametrically opposing viewpoints.  

Meanwhile, the Chiefs are Super Bowl favorites and the biggest additions the Bills made to a subpar line was Connor McGovern and a late second round Guard.  Perhaps they along with Trent Sherfield and Deonte Harty (who are clearly established, elite WRs as opposed to KaDarius Toney who is merely a reclamation project) will be enough to bridge the difference between scoring 10 points in the Divisional Round and scoring 38 points in the Super Bowl.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

I’m not expecting you to fawn over anything the Chiefs do.  I understand that you’re a charter member of the “only the Bills have good players” club.  I’m just amused by the simultaneous notions here that Mahomes only wins championships and MVPs over Josh because Kansas City has a better line and better weapons than Buffalo…but also that Bills fans would be “murdering their front office” if they allowed Josh to be surrounded with a “patchwork offensive line” and a bunch of “reclamation projects” at receiver.  Seems like those are diametrically opposing viewpoints.  

Meanwhile, the Chiefs are Super Bowl favorites and the biggest additions the Bills made to a subpar line was Connor McGovern and a late second round Guard.  Perhaps they along with Trent Sherfield and Deonte Harty (who are clearly established, elite WRs as opposed to KaDarius Toney who is merely a reclamation project) will be enough to bridge the difference between scoring 10 points in the Divisional Round and scoring 38 points in the Super Bowl.

I can agree that the Chiefs have a better OL than the Bills. Yet better receiving options is a highly debatable as yes Kelce is better than any single player we have. Yet as a collective I prefer Diggs, Davis, Knox, Kincaid, Shakir, Harty and Sherfield over Kelce, MSV, Toney, James, Moore, Gray. Watson and Rice. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.