Beane: “working on at least 2 veteran UFA’s”

Warriorspikes51

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What we KNOW is that the Chiefs will win the AFC west with ease and be playing at home in the divisional round at worst.

The Bengals,  I don't know.   The Bills didn't match up well with them with their secondary in tatters last season........but the Bengals division is shaping up as very strong.   They tend to get the yips against Cleveland, who is also improved........play down to whatever Baltimore's level is.........and Pittsburgh traditionally owns them and is feeling confident and is also improved this year.    I could see the Bengals ending up 10-7 and the Bills being able to avoid them altogether.  

So the Chiefs still top the list to me. 

Yeah, agreed about the Central. Here's what I feel confident about with regard to teams in that division:

Cincy: Excellent team with an elite qb, but since every team in that division is pretty good (at least), I can see a 10-7/11-6 season.

Pitt: History pretty much shows that they will win at least 9 games. They'll be better than last season, so let's give them 10-7.

Baltimore: They will win at least 10 games. I could easily see them winning the division too. 

Cleveland: If Watson steps up his game, they could win the division and go 11-6. It's certainly in the realm of the plausible. They have a really good roster overall and just need the QB to come through. I won't be surprised if he plays pretty well either. Last year, four of their first 5 losses were by a total of 9 points (all of them agonizing losses and with Brissett at QB), and then at 2-5 I just think the wheels came off. Incidentally, Amari Cooper looked to me like he was playing the best football of his career last season.  They brought in Jim Schwartz to coordinate the D too, and he's obviously good.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, agreed about the Central. Here's what I feel confident about with regard to teams in that division:

Cincy: Excellent team with an elite qb, but since every team in that division is pretty good (at least), I can see a 10-7/11-6 season.

Pitt: History pretty much shows that they will win at least 9 games. They'll be better than last season, so let's give them 10-7.

Baltimore: They will win at least 10 games. I could easily see them winning the division too. 

Cleveland: If Watson steps up his game, they could win the division and go 11-6. It's certainly in the realm of the plausible. They have a really good roster overall and just need the QB to come through. I won't be surprised if he plays pretty well either. Last year, four of their first 5 losses were by a total of 9 points (all of them agonizing losses and with Brissett at QB), and then at 2-5 I just think the wheels came off. Incidentally, Amari Cooper looked to me like he was playing the best football of his career last season.  They brought in Jim Schwartz to coordinate the D too, and he's obviously good.

Yeah and some observers act like the Bills should be sh!tting themselves with Dolphins and Jets franchises that have made the playoffs a combined twice in the past 12 years.    

The Bengals have 2 SB winning HC's and teams with long, long track records of success to contend with.    And the Browns might be the one they struggle with the most.    

The Bills have some talent to contend with in the AFC East but your point about teams you can COUNT ON to win 10 games says it all...........the Dolphins have had just two 10 win seasons in the past 14 years.   I'm just not going to concede success to them until they actually prove it.   And the Jets?   They were the healthiest defense in football last year.    The year before they were banged up and terrible defensively.  Same people crowning them thought Washington was going to be the defensive bully of the NFC for years to come a couple seasons ago.   Saleh is a total meathead.   I can't remember a HC who writes more checks he can't cash.   Now he's proclaiming Breece Hall ready for the opener.........which means he will NOT be ready for the opener.   And why even sell that?   What a douche that guy is. :lol: 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

For anyone who cares, Ngakoue said he’s looking to join a SB contender / find a stable home

If that was his primary wish, he wouldn't have passed on our offer.

Stable home meaning more than 1 year and SB contender surely meaning one that will pay his price as well. Because again, if that's all he wanted, he'd have signed here.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

For anyone who cares, Ngakoue said he’s looking to join a SB contender / find a stable home

He'd be a great fit.  Sounds like we offered him an incentive based deal, guessing 1 year.

Yannick would say he wants to find a stable home, having bounced between multiple teams in recent years.

This would be a move I see us making close to training camp, based on how Vons recovery is progressing.

If Von is looking more like the "PUP" (out minimum of first 4 weeks of season), then I could see us trying to add a rusher (maybe up the guaranteed $s) and figure out the odd man out later.

Otherwise if Von is trending toward being ready Week 1, and given Yannick turned down a supposed deal already from us, can't see it happening.

On 6/1/2023 at 11:25 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

But you have to worry about your own division regardless.    That's not relevant to the discussion point........which is what opponent you fear the most.    Right now Jacksonville and KC look like the most likely 1-2 seeds due to the ease of their divisional matchups, if nothing else.

But fwiw,  I like the Bills chances against their divisional opponents.   I think the AFC East has a chance to be something like the AFC West last year.......the dominant incumbent and a bunch of overhyped pretenders.    Wouldn't surprise me at all if NE finishes second and has the best defense in the division.   Saleh is a meathead and  teams whose defense goes from worst to first have a remarkable tendency to have major regression the following season..........and Tuna is injury prone and already thru his second potential career ending crisis(the hip injury/surgery at Alabama was the first).

Yea never know Tua may get tired of the battering he takes and decides to call it a career if he has any significant injury this year.  Even having learned how to fall might not save him from getting his bell rung sometime during the season.  

On 5/29/2023 at 10:07 PM, John from Riverside said:

There is absolutely a possibility that we don’t get DeAndre Hopkins the Chiefs could get him, but that would’ve been no different than all the other general managers who were waiting for the price whatever was being asked to come down

Brandon been has done a lot this off-season with very little money to work with even the small acquisition of tackle Brandon shell today was big that guy has started a lot of games at right tackle

It cuts both ways here. You want to give Beane credit for doing nothing. Correct? So if the Bills don't acquire Dhop do you give him credit or do you critique his results of not landing him? 

Curious to see if Beane just can't be wrong in your mind. 

On 6/1/2023 at 1:59 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah and some observers act like the Bills should be sh!tting themselves with Dolphins and Jets franchises that have made the playoffs a combined twice in the past 12 years.    

The Bengals have 2 SB winning HC's and teams with long, long track records of success to contend with.    And the Browns might be the one they struggle with the most.    

The Bills have some talent to contend with in the AFC East but your point about teams you can COUNT ON to win 10 games says it all...........the Dolphins have had just two 10 win seasons in the past 14 years.   I'm just not going to concede success to them until they actually prove it.   And the Jets?   They were the healthiest defense in football last year.    The year before they were banged up and terrible defensively.  Same people crowning them thought Washington was going to be the defensive bully of the NFC for years to come a couple seasons ago.   Saleh is a total meathead.   I can't remember a HC who writes more checks he can't cash.   Now he's proclaiming Breece Hall ready for the opener.........which means he will NOT be ready for the opener.   And why even sell that?   What a douche that guy is. :lol: 

I give the Bills the edge in the AFC. However, I would sell the Dolphins or the Jets short. They have made some very nice additions. I do believe both of those teams have closed the gap on Buffalo. 

Saleh seems to be a pretty good defensive coach. Last year, the Jets manhandled the Bills in the trenches. Remember, how they pounded the ball down the Bill's throat. Run after run after run with the game on the line. How much better is the Bilks Dline? Are they still vulnerable to physical olines? How much better will the Jets O be with a legit passing QB?

I think there are some critics out there that think McD can't get it done when it counts. So far, he hasn't...

I watched ESPN the other day and the so called expert ( didn't get his name) called for the Ravens as the next likely team to dethrone the Chiefs. More specifically, he said the Bills have passed their window. Or something like that. I don't agree with that but the point is many outsiders aren't nearly as high on the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea never know Tua may get tired of the battering he takes and decides to call it a career if he has any significant injury this year.  Even having learned how to fall might not save him from getting his bell rung sometime during the season.  

Tua used to get hit hard and low on the regular at Alabama when refusing to throw the ball away and that's how he's torn up his lower body.    It's cute that he's trying to "learn how to fall" :lol:........ but that's not the only injury problems he's had.

28 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I give the Bills the edge in the AFC. However, I would sell the Dolphins or the Jets short. They have made some very nice additions. I do believe both of those teams have closed the gap on Buffalo. 

Saleh seems to be a pretty good defensive coach. Last year, the Jets manhandled the Bills in the trenches. Remember, how they pounded the ball down the Bill's throat. Run after run after run with the game on the line. How much better is the Bilks Dline? Are they still vulnerable to physical olines? How much better will the Jets O be with a legit passing QB?

I think there are some critics out there that think McD can't get it done when it counts. So far, he hasn't...

I watched ESPN the other day and the so called expert ( didn't get his name) called for the Ravens as the next likely team to dethrone the Chiefs. More specifically, he said the Bills have passed their window. Or something like that. I don't agree with that but the point is many outsiders aren't nearly as high on the Bills. 

I remember the Bills being flat against the Jets because they were perceived as a break in their schedule and getting bitten by it after jumping out to a big lead in NJ.    Also remember the Jets being the healthiest defense in football and still being in last place despite Saleh declaring that the Jets would meet the Bills again in the playoffs after they lost in Buffalo. :lol:  This was after he told the media he was keeping receipts on their criticisms so he could shove them in their faces at the end of the year.:lol:    This year the Jets have SB expectations so we will see how they handle being expected to win.    

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Tua used to get hit hard and low on the regular at Alabama when refusing to throw the ball away and that's how he's torn up his lower body.    It's cute that he's trying to "learn how to fall" :lol:........ but that's not the only injury problems he's had.

Indeed which is why I place Tua as a very possible call it a career while he can still walk away relatively well.  It's almost a given he will have issues as he ages from the abuse his body already has suffered.  Hope he doesn't develop any arthritis or rheumatism as he ages.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

It cuts both ways here. You want to give Beane credit for doing nothing. Correct? So if the Bills don't acquire Dhop do you give him credit or do you critique his results of not landing him? 

Curious to see if Beane just can't be wrong in your mind. 

The answer to this is simple. General manager didn’t “do nothing “

We have a quired other players this year at that position

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I remember the Bills being flat against the Jets because they were perceived as a break in their schedule and getting bitten by it after jumping out to a big lead in NJ.    Also remember the Jets being the healthiest defense in football and still being in last place despite Saleh declaring that the Jets would meet the Bills again in the playoffs after they lost in Buffalo. :lol:  This was after he told the media he was keeping receipts on their criticisms so he could shove them in their faces at the end of the year.:lol:    This year the Jets have SB expectations so we will see how they handle being expected to win.    

It will be equally interesting to see how the Bills respond as they too are expected to win and have SB expectations. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

The answer to this is simple. General manager didn’t “do nothing “

We have a quired other players this year at that position

That's true John. However, you didn't really answer my question. 

Just wondering where your thinking is in response to Beane doing nothing. If nothing is a positive or negative? If KC or another SB caliber team lands DHop instead of the Bills? 

Are you on record as wanting to acquire Dhop? What cost is acceptable? Do you think hes a difference maker? 

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

It will be equally interesting to see how the Bills respond as they too are expected to win and have SB expectations. 

That's true John. However, you didn't really answer my question. 

Just wondering where your thinking is in response to Beane doing nothing. If nothing is a positive or negative? If KC or another SB caliber team lands DHop instead of the Bills? 

Are you on record as wanting to acquire Dhop? What cost is acceptable? Do you think hes a difference maker? 

I think he is a difference maker

However, I see both sides of this. What if the amount he is asking for actually hurts the franchise long-term.

What if Kansas City acquires him pays a ransom and then they don’t win the Super Bowl?

I think the writings on the wall here we’re not going to find out a team out there with cap space is going to sign him

55 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think he is a difference maker

However, I see both sides of this. What if the amount he is asking for actually hurts the franchise long-term.

What if Kansas City acquires him pays a ransom and then they don’t win the Super Bowl?

I think the writings on the wall here we’re not going to find out a team out there with cap space is going to sign him

Thats fair. 

It sounds like Dhop is looking to get paid more than teams are willing to pay.

At this point, I'd be pretty surprised if the Bills acquired him. Personally, I think he would make the Bills offense even more dangerous. Would it pay dividends to a SB? Who knows? 

What I know is that I would hate to see him go to the Chiefs. Him and Mahomes would likely be deadly for opposing defenses. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think that's nearly as interesting of a story really..........we have already seen how the Bills responded to being a favorite the past two seasons.   They have won their division and had the highest point differential in the NFL over those 2 regular seasons.   Hasn't been enough to reach or win a SB.......but the range of outcomes is much broader with the Jets.   They could win the division or they could be this years version of what the Broncos were last year.   They even brought in Nate Hackett to help with the latter option.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Haha (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think that's nearly as interesting of a story really..........we have already seen how the Bills responded to being a favorite the past two seasons.   They have won their division and had the highest point differential in the NFL over those 2 regular seasons.   Hasn't been enough to reach or win a SB.......but the range of outcomes is much broader with the Jets.   They could win the division or they could be this years version of what the Broncos were last year.   They even brought in Nate Hackett to help with the latter option.

Denver redux with Rodgers playing the role of Wilson only this time in New York would be absolutely epic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Thats fair. 

It sounds like Dhop is looking to get paid more than teams are willing to pay.

At this point, I'd be pretty surprised if the Bills acquired him. Personally, I think he would make the Bills offense even more dangerous. Would it pay dividends to a SB? Who knows? 

What I know is that I would hate to see him go to the Chiefs. Him and Mahomes would likely be deadly for opposing defenses. 

I'd say right now it looks like DHop wants more than the contending teams he would like to play for are offering.  Expanding his search to see if any team ponies up more than the $15M OBJ got.  I think some team will.

I think, like you, that he would elevate the Bills into the top contender category once again.  I would love it.

I also would now be surprised to see him as a Bill.  And I think I will be disappointed.  It looks like I value DHop more than the FO (and apparently more than most teams in the league).  I didn't think the $19M was outrageous after you smooth out the cap hit and a void year.  I think $15M is a bargain and well worth it.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What makes you think the Jets' outcomes are much broader than the Bills? 

I'd argue their defense with Saleh will keep them in every game. Perhaps the best D in the AFC.

Their biggest weakness on offense was their QB situation. Whether you like Rodgers or not he's clearly a huge upgrade. Their WR core is solid and a healthy Breece Hall makes them better. Rodgers has plenty of weapons. He doesn't have to be Superman. 

The Bills have some big question marks in the trenches. Will the new additions improve the oline? Can Brown improve or will he continue to be a liability? 

Will Kincaid be a bonifide weapon as a rookie? Besides Diggs who steps up as a solid WR? 

Can the Bills generate a solid and consistent pass rush? Is the dline  vulnerable to physical play? 

Will Allen be careless with the ball? Will the Bills struggle in the redzone? 

What kind of OC will Dorsey be? Do you trust his play calling skills and ability to reign in Allen need be? Will he use all his skill players? Will he run the ball consistently and it effectively? Will they run 12 or 11.5 schemes effectively? 

The Bills have a difficult schedule and the upgrades the Jets and Miami made are significant. The division appears to be a dogfight. I don't believe there is a lot of seperatiob between the teams. 

I give the Bills the slight edge merely because of Allen. However, besides Allen and Diggs the Bills roster really lacks difference makers and game changers. Who knows if that's significant? 

I think the Jets and Miami are well prepared to dethrone the Bills. Who knows if they can get there? I would not be surprised one bit if either of thoses teams win the AFC. 

The thought that the Jets or Miami are vastly inferior to the Bills no longer exists. Folks, the gap has significantly closed and the Bills have to be better in order to win the division and advance deep in the playoffs. Will they regress, improve, or continue the status quo? 

Thus far, the Bills have managed nice regular season records only to fizzle out come playoff time. It's a pretty consistent theme for years under the current regime. What will we see this season? 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.