Wr Overload and what really needs to get done

NastyNateSoldiers

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I believe we have a difference making TE the problem is he’s not featured in this offense. Knox should be the #2 guy in targets on this offense. Dorsey has to diagram more plays for Knox and u will see the difference that would make

But as you alluded to it, the reason Knox is not more the receiver than what he has shown is we need him to block more often because our OL is average on its best days. 

I would be very happy with another solid TE.... it don't matter who is catching the ball just as long as that person is helping us gain in more overall completions 1st downs, TDs, yards etc....   TE RB WR any of those positions can fit the Bill(s) but it still comes down to having an OL thats better than last years and thats the part that scares me the most as I have lost faith in Bills mgmt to be able to fix this issue. The low cost FA route we have been doing each year is underwhelming, and when theu do draft a OL they too underwhlem or we trade away the one that has proven to be better than most of those we keep

Edited by ddaryl
  • Agree 1

This is just a very average wr draft group.  Desperate GM's will over draft these guys.  The smart teams will draft receivers at draft positions of appropriate value.  After the top four guys, the next 20 have very similar draft value.  None of them have a complete game or have limited speed or inconsistent hands.  Additionally, there seems to be a couple of receivers that show up in later rounds from smaller schools that go on to have nice careers.  Bills have always done a good job of scouting smaller school players.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes they may need 5 different starting offensive lineman as soon as 2024.........factoring in likely moves to different positions by Bates and Dawkins that may even be LIKELY.

You aren't getting that with 1 draft pick.

You could get a difference maker at WR with 1 pick, though.

This is why I laugh at the people that want to just throw picks at a volume of offensive lineman and eschew edge/island positions on principle.

How did that work throwing early picks at DL in back-to-back drafts?    They went 1 for 3.

You have to get the best players available at the premium positions early in the draft........just attacking a position of need leads to some ugly drafts.

The point is Wr is not a premium position u can find them all over the draft kind of like the RB’s . Look at the best 2 Wr’s over the last 10yrs Antonio Brown and Cooper Kupp both where drafted starting in the 4th rd. U want more evidence just look at how many first rd #1 Wr’s have won Superbowls the last 20yrs it’s not more then  6 players , Tory Holt, Keyshawn Johnson, Demaryus Thomas and Mike Evans , Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and it can be argued that the Broncos and Bucs (2004) were not passing teams nor did they win the Super Bowl because of there passing games. U can’t tell me anything else the majority of the best Wr’s in the game are drafted from the 2nd rd to 6th . People all of a sudden want to put premium next to a position. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

But as you alluded to it, the reason Knox is not more the receiver than what he has shown is we need him to block more often because our OL is average on its best days. 

I would be very happy with another solid TE.... it don't matter who is catching the ball just as long as that person is helping us gain in more overall completions 1st downs, TDs, yards etc....   TE RB WR any of those positions can fit the Bill(s) but it still comes down to having an OL thats better than last years and thats the part that scares me the most as I have lost faith in Bills mgmt to be able to fix this issue. The low cost FA route we have been doing each year is underwhelming, and when theu do draft a OL they too underwhlem or we trade away the one that has proven to be better than most of those we keep

U nailed it! I’m losing faith that this regime can draft any difference making talent at all at any position. As of right now the only one thankfully is Josh but otherwise there is none. When we traded for Diggs Beane basically admitted he couldn’t find a Wr in the draft and guess what the best Wr from that draft went in that trade to the Vikings he also traded up for Cody Ford with both Aj Brown and DK Metcalf on the board. Don’t get me started on the types of backs these guys like jag city if ask me. 

9 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I believe we have a difference making TE the problem is he’s not featured in this offense. Knox should be the #2 guy in targets on this offense. Dorsey has to diagram more plays for Knox and u will see the difference that would make

Now this is something I agree with. 

Knox led the team in catch % (>10 targets). 

He had the 2nd drop % of receivers on the team (after Diggs).

He had 10.8 Y/R

To me, it is only logical: we need to get Knox more involved.

26 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I’m losing faith that this regime can draft any difference making talent at all at any position.

On the other hand, this sounds like a "You" problem

Edited by Beck Water

4 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

there is to much nonsense in this thread to even reply to it.  "The Bills can cut Connor McGovern next offseason and save $1.8M." it starts with this silly comment and it never ends. Cut a 26 year old likely in prime for 1.8 mil... Come on man..... 

At age 28 Daryl Williams was probably the best RT in the AFC in 2020 and had "All Pro" recognition in his history.

He signed a long term deal.........didn't miss a snap the next season.........and then he got cut.

Like I said,  you are clearly just a willfully ignorant individual...........things change fast in the NFL even if you have an impressive track record........which the version of Connor McGovern that the Bills signed absolutely does not have.

I guarantee,  unless you are a Penn State fan, you didn't even know who he was when the Bills signed him but you now have supreme confidence in him playing out his contract.  :lol:        

12 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Dibiase is worse and it't not just them, its 90% of the fanbase.   Going back to when the Bills traded for TO, there has been a weird obsession with the WR position.  Could the Bills upgrade the #2, yes they can.  They also can upgrade #2 TE, RT, LB, Edge not to mention they have 0 DT's signed after this year.  WR is not the #1 need no matter what anyone says.  They are trying to make the #2 offense in yards, points, third down conversions better...all they will really to is redistribute receptions.

No it wouldn't. This offense clearly started to sputter at times and it all started in the second half of the packer game.  Teams do not respect any receiver on this team outside of a guy named Diggs.  Teams either doubled him or rolled coverage to his side, which made it harder for him to get open.  We were literally pulling guys out of retirement last year.  Does that sound like a team with huge confidence in the WR room? Without a legit #2 either through FA or the draft, this will be a repeated theme.  Maybe they're hanging their hat on Davis finally breaking through this season, but they did that last year and it hurt them. 

I've said it since the end of last season...priorities for this offseason are #1, give Josh protection, and #2, give Josh weapons and so far, the guys we've signed don't move the needle all that much, IMO. The line should automatically be better without Saffold there whiffing a couple times a game, but that's not saying much.

Philly was #2 in the league in yards/game allowed last season and #1 in sacks (15 more than the #2 team) and looked powerless to stop the Chiefs.  We do not need to spend high draft picks on defense (again).

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Well, the Bills wouldn’t pick a QB if they were all on the board at 27

I don’t disagree but if Bryce Young were on the board, they should consider it. That’s the point. The VALUE determines the selection. If they drafted him and flipped him for like pick 29 and a 2nd it would be a great pick. The player ALWAYS dictates what you do, not the position. Teams are way more sophisticated than to commit to a certain position.

You used an EXTREME example and it could still make sense. Collinsworth is suggesting that the Chiefs draft Hooker. Teams are way more nuanced than to identify a position and pick BPA at that position. They build their board based on players and then weigh it towards position. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

At age 28 Daryl Williams was probably the best RT in the AFC in 2020 and had "All Pro" recognition in his history.

He signed a long term deal.........didn't miss a snap the next season.........and then he got cut.

Like I said,  you are clearly just a willfully ignorant individual...........things change fast in the NFL even if you have an impressive track record........which the version of Connor McGovern that the Bills signed absolutely does not have.

I guarantee,  unless you are a Penn State fan, you didn't even know who he was when the Bills signed him but you now have supreme confidence in him playing out his contract.  :lol:        

the second a person makes it personal is the second I stop replying. 

On 4/25/2023 at 8:00 AM, papazoid said:

isn't this a copy cat league ?

KC has the #1 TE and #3 OL

improve the OL/TE  and you help BOTH pass and run

I know a couple of things.

1. I’m sick of Sal Capaccio running around on every show he goes on saying the Bills really want to run 2-Tight Ends because they’ve brought in OJ Howard, Jacob Hollister, Tyler Kroft and Bobby Hart.

The entire league knows those guys are bums, and washouts.

Nobody in the league would depend on those players to be the #2Tight End requiring an offensive philosophy shift.

Bills/J. Allen doesn’t throw to Tight Ends and you need a viable body as a backup to Knox, that’s it. 

2. Mike Schopp and the betting odds for the 2023 Super Bowl and equating the Bills with the Chiefs.

The Bills aren’t the Chiefs.

The QB isn’t as good, the Coaching Staff isn’t as good. 

Accept that fact, and once you do you’ll understand that simply copying the Chiefs won’t work. There is a talent gap. The Bills will need to take and make more risks. 

21 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

the second a person makes it personal is the second I stop replying. 

This was your first sentence to me:

"#1 that is a dumb comment to make"

I think I was wrong saying that you just don't want to know.........your ignorance is not by choice. 😆

24 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I know a couple of things.

The Bills aren’t the Chiefs.

The QB isn’t as good, the Coaching Staff isn’t as good. 

Accept that fact, and once you do you’ll understand that simply copying the Chiefs won’t work. There is a talent gap. The Bills will need to take and make more risks. 

Yet we beat them in their house while they were healthy and we were missing hyde and tredavious.  

their coaching staff is clearly better….but there’s no question that we are close to, if not their equal.  

Injuries and coaching ended our season.  Not the roster.  Yes, the roster has some holes that can be exploited. So does every roster that pays their QB 40M+.  Our roster to start the season was championship caliber.  Even with Spencer Brown @ RT, we had enough talent on D to overcome.   That was evident when we beat KC.  Von Miller showed the world why we paid for him.  He closed out the chiefs almost singlehandedly with 3 huge plays in the 4th qtr.  Then he was gone along with our Lombardis chances.

Then, in the biggest game of the year, our coaching staff laid an egg….. for the 3rd year in a row. 

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yet we beat them in their house while they were healthy and we were missing hyde and tredavious.  

their coaching staff is clearly better….but there’s no question that we are close to, if not their equal.  

Injuries and coaching ended our season.  Not the roster.  Yes, the roster has some holes that can be exploited. So does every roster that pays their QB 40M+.  Our roster to start the season was championship caliber.  Even with Spencer Brown @ RT, we had enough talent on D to overcome.   That was evident when we beat KC.  Von Miller showed the world why we paid for him.  He closed out the chiefs almost singlehandedly with 3 huge plays in the 4th qtr.  Then he was gone along with our Lombardis chances.

Then, in the biggest game of the year, our coaching staff laid an egg….. for the 3rd year in a row. 

I don’t buy it.

This team doesn’t have the firepower to get the job done in the Playoffs.

Our roster peaked in 2020, Allen and Diggs vaulted the Bills up the ranks.

But after that moment Beane took his eyes off elite offensive talent and started to pour resources into the defense, and as such, the teams performance has plateaued.

I don’t want to hear about linebackers, DTs, DE’s, backup TEs to run heavy sets. 

The Bills need another starting OT to replace Spencer Brown, and they need an elite traits WR because everyone on their roster is 5th, 4th, undrafted, undrafted and 5th round players. Diggs has made himself into a star player, he’s outplayed his draft position. 

But the Bills are deficient talent wise around Allen. 

The Bills didn’t go all in to get Brown or Adams (I don’t believe the Chiefs would have traded Hill to the Bills), but we are lacking that caliber of player in the offense. 

Hopkins would represent that, I just don’t buy offering the Cardinals Ed Oliver and a 5th and having them eat 80% of the salary is realistic at all. 

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This was your first sentence to me:

"#1 that is a dumb comment to make"

I think I was wrong saying that you just don't want to know.........your ignorance is not by choice. 😆

if you can't argue the topics and you have to make it personal then there is no point in us talking... There was a day where you can hold a conversation on these forums without people making things personal but that day is gone. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don’t buy it.

This team doesn’t have the firepower to get the job done in the Playoffs.

Our roster peaked in 2020, Allen and Diggs vaulted the Bills up the ranks.

But after that moment Beane took his eyes off elite offensive talent and started to pour resources into the defense, and as such, the teams performance has plateaued.

I don’t want to hear about linebackers, DTs, DE’s, backup TEs to run heavy sets. 

The Bills need another starting OT to replace Spencer Brown, and they need an elite traits WR because everyone on their roster is 5th, 4th, undrafted, undrafted and 5th round players. Diggs has made himself into a star player, he’s outplayed his draft position. 

But the Bills are deficient talent wise around Allen. 

The Bills didn’t go all in to get Brown or Adams (I don’t believe the Chiefs would have traded Hill to the Bills), but we are lacking that caliber of player in the offense. 

Hopkins would represent that, I just don’t buy offering the Cardinals Ed Oliver and a 5th and having them eat 80% of the salary is realistic at all. 

You don’t buy that we beat them?  I can tell you, we did.  

And how many elite playmakers did KC have when they won the SB last year?

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

You don’t buy that we beat them?  I can tell you, we did.  

And how many elite playmakers did KC have when they won the SB last year?

The Buffalo media and some of our fans need to realize:

We are not the Chiefs

Mahomes is a full level above Allen

The Bills are not the Chiefs

The Bills keep coming up short in the Playoffs, not the Chiefs

19 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The Buffalo media and some of our fans need to realize:

We are not the Chiefs

Mahomes is a full level above Allen

The Bills are not the Chiefs

The Bills keep coming up short in the Playoffs, not the Chiefs

Wth are you even talking?  You’ve gone full r*****

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.