Want to buy your own college?

Just Jack

6 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Who is getting free tuition more than ever?

Students from households with less than 125K annual income qualify for free SUNY school tuition. I’m sure that’s what he’s referring to. However, I don’t see schools closing in mass numbers. Cazanovia had nothing for an endowment, a peak enrollment of 1,000, and lacked legacy students who attend based on family history. They just didn’t have the donors to keep them afloat. Smaller colleges who lack funds have closed throughout the years, and I think Caz’s days were limited, regardless of current trends. 

Edited by SirAndrew

21 hours ago, Just Jack said:

they took out a 10 million dollar loan a few years back to improvements and then Covid hit and they couldn’t recover or refi the loan. It was like the perfect storm. Morrisville should try and take over the loan. Especially with that equestrian center. 

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Students from households with less than 125K annual income qualify for free SUNY school tuition. I’m sure that’s what he’s referring to. However, I don’t see schools closing in mass numbers. Cazanovia had nothing for an endowment, a peak enrollment of 1,000, and lacked legacy students who attend based on family history. They just didn’t have the donors to keep them afloat. Smaller colleges who lack funds have closed throughout the years, and I think Caz’s days were limited, regardless of current trends. 

What SUNY does has nothing to do with Cazenovia. SUNY enrollments aren't growing either so it's not like they are stealing students. Tons of little colleges with small endowments are having financial issues.

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

What SUNY does has nothing to do with Cazenovia. SUNY enrollments aren't growing either so it's not like they are stealing students. Tons of little colleges with small endowments are having financial issues.

I agree, but I think he’s saying that recruiting students to costly private schools might be increasingly difficult with free SUNY tuition is awaiting. I understand the point to an extent, especially when the private school isn’t in the elite category. Cazenovia was probably a great school, and I feel bad for everyone involved, but let’s be realistic. It’s in the middle of nowhere, and isn’t well known. It wasn’t attracting the elite crowd, or the party crowd.

Dwindling enrollment plays a part, but the private schools that succeed are ones who can attract big money, and there’s plenty of them left, even with declining enrollment. You’re absolutely correct about schools with small endowments, but an over saturated market is also finally catching up to them. Enrollment is declining across the board, but I’m not convinced the need was ever there for the large  number of schools that exist. 

Edited by SirAndrew

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.