TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - Completed!!!

Virgil

This is an interesting exercise, but I suspect since we are all bills fans, we have internalized "positional value" from the perspective of the current Bills  perceived needs, and that the draft is starting to show this bias.  I think most of the players highlighted in yellow here will probably go somewhat later in the real draft, than a draft of hard core Bills fans. By and large though, it has been pretty conventional so far, staying pretty close to consensus big boards. (Hendon Hooker in the first seems to be the outlier)

image.thumb.png.2891a2169623a20260f825568146a5fc.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

I'm not a fan of this draft.  All the other teams are allowed to trade both up and down freely.  Because of the poll, Bills can only trade down.  Bills should have traded up in Round 2 to draft Sanders at LB.

Give me a logistical way of entertaining trade ups with slowing down the draft by making a poll for every off, and I will gladly try it. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am drinking Bira Moretti right now. Bit of a bank holiday pub crawl with the other half. 

@Virgil - Doc must be close to his 4 hours, right?

He had until 12p est.  

Everyone gets 4 hours per pick.  Unless your pick comes up after 10p est, then you have until noon the following day. 

Just trying to make time for lives and jobs somewhat

21 minutes ago, Yantha said:

This is too slow yes.  

It's Easter weekend so there's family gatherings etc, but I think it's on the participants to know roughly when they'll pick and make somewhat of an effort to be available.  Can't leave the draft hanging for 2 hours just because.

Easy to step away for a quick check in once in a while.

I haven’t needed to make a pick on behalf of anyone yet, so that’s a win so far.  

I’d also argue that this has moved faster than all prior 3 round drafts with trades 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

He had until 12p est.  

Everyone gets 4 hours per pick.  Unless your pick comes up after 10p est, then you have until noon the following day. 

I don't know what that means. British Summer Time here old chap.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Give me a logistical way of entertaining trade ups with slowing down the draft by making a poll for every off, and I will gladly try it. 

1) work in reverse, with a team offering to the Bills a trade down for them, and a trade up for the Bills, and using the rest of the offerer's clock time to run a poll, and if the poll rejects the offer, give the offerer another hour or so, and if the trade up poll works, you need to run a poll on who we are selecting with that trade up, the same as for a trade down.

2) create a specific trade up window, where everyone who is interested in trading down, can post there offers to you, and you create a poll among all the trade up offers to see if the Bills fans want any.   You could have have a scheduled time say 7 to 8 Est time to run the trade offers poll each day. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

This is an interesting exercise, but I suspect since we are all bills fans, we have internalized "positional value" from the perspective of the current Bills  perceived needs, and that the draft is starting to show this bias.  I think most of the players highlighted in yellow here will probably go somewhat later in the real draft, than a draft of hard core Bills fans. By and large though, it has been pretty conventional so far, staying pretty close to consensus big boards. (Hendon Hooker in the first seems to be the outlier)

I think Harrison could go earlier than he went here but where Alpha took him and the Jet picks right after are his floor IMO. Agree with you on the other three. Don't think Schmitz or Campbell go round 1 and it might be a tad early for Bergeron there. 

Simpson might not go as early as #32. But he should. Talent wise he is a top 20 player in this class without a shadow of a doubt

Edited by GunnerBill

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

He had until 12p est.  

I haven’t needed to make a pick on behalf of anyone yet, so that’s a win so far.  

I’d also argue that this has moved faster than all prior 3 round drafts with trades 

I understand the constraints you're working under, Virgil.  You're doing the best you can, and it isn't easy putting this together.  It's frustrating seeing so many trades, taking solid players off the board ahead of the Bills and then being powerless to do anything about it.  I'd be interested in allowing one individual, perhaps one of our draft afficionados, e.g. Gunnerbill...a crack at being the Bills selector rather than a poll.  It would be interesting to watch the dynamic of that.   I'd love to hear the rationale behind each pick from someone knowledgeable about the draft and the players. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I understand the constraints you're working under, Virgil.  You're doing the best you can, and it isn't easy putting this together.  It's frustrating seeing so many trades, taking solid players off the board ahead of the Bills and then being powerless to do anything about it.  I'd be interested in allowing one individual, perhaps one of our draft afficionados, e.g. Gunnerbill...a crack at being the Bills selector rather than a poll.  It would be interesting to watch the dynamic of that.   I'd love to hear the rationale behind each pick from someone knowledgeable about the draft and the players. 

We tried the group GM approach last year I think (they tend to bleed together).  People lost their minds when we traded up 5 picks. 

14 minutes ago, Chaos said:

1) work in reverse, with a team offering to the Bills a trade down for them, and a trade up for the Bills, and using the rest of the offerer's clock time to run a poll, and if the poll rejects the offer, give the offerer another hour or so, and if the trade up poll works, you need to run a poll on who we are selecting with that trade up, the same as for a trade down.

2) create a specific trade up window, where everyone who is interested in trading down, can post there offers to you, and you create a poll among all the trade up offers to see if the Bills fans want any.   You could have have a scheduled time say 7 to 8 Est time to run the trade offers poll each day. 

I like this idea.  It wouldn’t prevent in the moment trades, which is logistically impossible with the time restraints, but it’s a good alternative.  

I will give it a try for mock 3.0.  

The big issue is people wanting to trade up or back for different people.  So if we do trade, and take someone else, so much anger….😋

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I am drinking Bira Moretti right now. Bit of a bank holiday pub crawl with the other half. 

Curious:  Do they put ice in cider beers there by default when you order them?

My ex was originally from Germany, and we would go over there to visit her fam once a year and also hit some other places like Amsterdam and stuff too on these trips.  My first trip there, it was hot out and ordered a cider beer and they served it with ice and wow, it was an absolute game changer.  

Living at the beach in LA, a nice cider beer with Ice on hot days here is pretty amazing.  I won’t drink it without ice now, can’t explain why, but it absolutely enhances it and should be served that way everywhere IMHO.  But no one here in the states does it unless you ask.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Curious:  Do they put ice in cider beers there by default when you order them?

My ex was originally from Germany, and we would go over there to visit her fam once a year and also hit some other places like Amsterdam and stuff too on these trips.  My first trip there, it was hot out and ordered a cider beer and they served it with ice and wow, it was an absolute game changer.  

Living at the beach in LA, a nice cider beer with Ice on hot days here is pretty amazing.  I won’t drink it without ice now, can’t explain why, but it absolutely enhances it and should be served that way everywhere IMHO.  But no one here in the states does it unless you ask.

It depends. But #1 if you called it a "cider beer" you would get at best a funny look, at worst (in the West of England) a slap. We just call it "a cider" which is quite distinct from "a beer."

The general rule in the UK otherwise is a draught cider is not served with ice unless you request it. But a bottled cider is served with ice unless you specify otherwise. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With the 47th pick in the 2023 NFL draft, the Washington Commanders select:  TE, Sam LaPorta, Iowa CLICK HERE FOR HIGHLIGHTS

The Commanders are excited to add what we feel is the most explosive TE in the draft with the ball in his hands.  Adding him to our offense is going to bring a dynamic weapon that we feel our new OC Eric Bieniemy will be able incorporate into our offense and help him reach his potential at the next level.  

Round 1, pick 16:  Traded to Seahawks for pick 20 and 83.

Round 1, pick 20:  CB, Joey Porter, Jr.

Round 2, pick 47:  TE, Sam LaPorta

Round 3, pick 83 (from Sea):  TBD

Round 3, pick 97:  TBD

@manncand the Detroit Lions are now on the clock.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It depends. But #1 if you called it a "cider beer" you would get at best a funny look, at worst (in the West of England) a slap. We just call it "a cider" which is quite distinct from "a beer."

The general rule in the UK otherwise is a draught cider is not served with ice unless you request it. But a bottled cider is served with ice unless you specify otherwise. 

I'm writing all this down. I hate to commit an etiquette breach on truly important matters.

• Haha (+1) 2

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - The Lions (mannc) are on the clock!!!
5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We call it Cider too, but sometimes when I say just Cider people in the states think it’s literally just apple cider with no alcohol.  So I added the beer after to avoid confusion to anyone else who might read it.  I feel like Cider is more popular over there than it is here, so probably part of the confusion.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We call it Cider too, but sometimes when I say just Cider people in the states think it’s literally just apple cider with no alcohol.  So I added the beer after to avoid confusion to anyone else who might read it.  I feel like Cider is more popular over there than it is here, so probably part of the confusion.  

You'd be okay in London with an American accent asking for cider beer. They'd just think "tourist and you'd" get your drink. In Bristol (and anywhere west of there) they'd be much snootier about the difference between cider and beer. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

You'd be okay in London with an American accent asking for cider beer. They'd just think "tourist and you'd" get your drink. In Bristol (and anywhere west of there) they'd be much snootier about the difference between cider and beer. 

Yeah, I always just order a “cider”, never add “beer” to it whether I’m here or there.  In a bar there is no confusion.

But I couldn’t believe how much a difference ice made in a cider.  And I’ve never had anyone in the US ever serve ice in a cider unless I ask for it.  Total game changer.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Chaos said:

You might be right, but need for Offensive line around the league is real.  I think there will be 3 MLB taken before we draft, so I don’t think they are going “that much” higher than they will irl.  We shall ser

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You might be right, but need for Offensive line around the league is real.  I think there will be 3 MLB taken before we draft, so I don’t think they are going “that much” higher than they will irl.  We shall ser

Than we draft in round 2, yep.

40 minutes ago, Virgil said:

We tried the group GM approach last year I think (they tend to bleed together).  People lost their minds when we traded up 5 picks. 

I like this idea.  It wouldn’t prevent in the moment trades, which is logistically impossible with the time restraints, but it’s a good alternative.  

I will give it a try for mock 3.0.  

The big issue is people wanting to trade up or back for different people.  So if we do trade, and take someone else, so much anger….😋

Anger is nothing new on this Board, Virgil!  Neither is irrationality. 😄

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

While I don’t disagree with overall sentiment here, I actually think OT Anton Harrison is going to go earlier than some people expect.  I personally think he’s going to go in the first round.  He is one of the best pass protecting tackles in the draft, probably second to only Skoronski.  

• Agree 2

I'm back by my board now... I have nine second round grades and two 2nd/3rd borderline grades left. 

The positional breakdown is:

2 WR

1 IOL (and full disclosure it is Vorhees who has a huge injury asterisk, he won't play as a rookie)

1 DT

2 EDGE

1 LB

4 CB

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

With the 47th pick in the 2023 NFL draft, the Washington Commanders select:  TE, Sam LaPorta, Iowa CLICK HERE FOR HIGHLIGHTS

The Commanders are excited to add what we feel is the most explosive TE in the draft with the ball in his hands.  Adding him to our offense is going to bring a dynamic weapon that we feel our new OC Eric Bieniemy will be able incorporate into our offense and help him reach his potential at the next level.  

Round 1, pick 16:  Traded to Seahawks for pick 20 and 83.

Round 1, pick 20:  CB, Joey Porter, Jr.

Round 2, pick 47:  TE, Sam LaPorta

Round 3, pick 83 (from Sea):  TBD

Round 3, pick 97:  TBD

@manncand the Detroit Lions are now on the clock.

That was my guy!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.