Darnell Wright Tennessee OT

Sierra Foothills

A source told NYUP and Syracuse.com that Buffalo will be hosting Tennessee Volunteers offensive tackle Darnell Wright on a top-30 visit.

Wright is considered one of the best tackle prospects in this year’s draft... Wright recently had his pro day at Tennessee and the Bills were in attendance to get an up close look at the prospect. In terms of his athletic traits, Wright has been compared to future Hall of Fame tackle and former Bills tackle Jason Peters.

In his career at Tennessee, Wright played in 47 games and recorded 42 starts while recording over 2,700 total offensive snaps. He made 27 starts at right tackle, two starts at right guard and 13 starts at left tackle. In his final 19 games with the Volunteers, Wright went without allowing a sack.

Wright earned unanimous first-team All-SEC honors as selected by the Associated Press and coaches this season and continued to raise his stock at the Reese’s Senior Bowl where he was named the American team’s OL Practice Player-of-Week. The award was voted on by his peers on the American defensive line and linebacker groups.

“Alabama edge rusher Will Anderson, a likely top-five pick, says that Tennessee’s Darnell Wright is the best OT he faced in college.”

Is he out of reach? It seems with these credentials the Bills would have to trade up to get him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

A source told NYUP and Syracuse.com that Buffalo will be hosting Tennessee Volunteers offensive tackle Darnell Wright on a top-30 visit.

Wright is considered one of the best tackle prospects in this year’s draft... Wright recently had his pro day at Tennessee and the Bills were in attendance to get an up close look at the prospect. In terms of his athletic traits, Wright has been compared to future Hall of Fame tackle and former Bills tackle Jason Peters.

In his career at Tennessee, Wright played in 47 games and recorded 42 starts while recording over 2,700 total offensive snaps. He made 27 starts at right tackle, two starts at right guard and 13 starts at left tackle. In his final 19 games with the Volunteers, Wright went without allowing a sack.

Wright earned unanimous first-team All-SEC honors as selected by the Associated Press and coaches this season and continued to raise his stock at the Reese’s Senior Bowl where he was named the American team’s OL Practice Player-of-Week. The award was voted on by his peers on the American defensive line and linebacker groups.

“Alabama edge rusher Will Anderson, a likely top-five pick, says that Tennessee’s Darnell Wright is the best OT he faced in college.”

Is he out of reach? It seems with these credentials the Bills would have to trade up to get him.

This draft is fairly deep in talent at OT.  He will definitely be on Beane's radar but whether he'll be there at #27 or if we take an OT in the first round is another story.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I just don't believe the Bills are out on Brown. Also how many times in the past have the Bills taken an Olineman in the 1st instead of targeting a skill position that they can have for 5 yrs.

FWIW, NFLDraftbuzz has Wright at no. 46....while Darnell Washington T 27 and Campbell at 28.

49 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I just don't believe the Bills are out on Brown. Also how many times in the past have the Bills taken an Olineman in the 1st instead of targeting a skill position that they can have for 5 yrs.

FWIW, NFLDraftbuzz has Wright at no. 46....while Darnell Washington T 27 and Campbell at 28.

Uh, Eric Wood in 2009, who became a very good center until injuries forced him to retire?

Before that..Mike Williams...21 years ago.

Not a very large sample. 

This is a pretty good breakdown of the good and the bad.  More good than bad.

I kinda think he's not going to be there at 27 now. 

We aren't the only team that needs help at RT.

Edited by CookieG
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I believe we can. And my guess is, we will see it this season. 😉

Well. We agree on that. Assuming we have a good RG next to him. I’m not 100% on what they plan on doing. Personally, I’d rather take one of the top Guards in the draft than a tackle. Or if you managed to get Wright, or Dewand Jones. Or someone dominant at LT and move Dawkins at LG and I firmly believe you would have upgraded 2 spots on the OL with one being drafted. 

All I want is for Beane and the boys to be pro-active with the OL.  It also means everything doesn't have to be done at once.

Moves were made in FA for the IOL.  The weak points are the OTs.  Brown deserves a shot at RT but NEEDS real competition.

Dawkins will be in his last year of his contract next season.  Doyle is a complete unknown and Q is a JAG.

OT (one who competes at RT) is the need right now.  Even if Spencer Brown improves and wins the job over a rookie (this season)

it keeps the competitive pressure up.  IOL future questions all revolve around Morse and the C position.  That can be addressed

next season.

Draft the OT this year and let the competition begin.  Let Doyle and Q compete for the last OT spot and do the same for the IOL

next draft.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, CookieG said:

Uh, Eric Wood in 2009, who became a very good center until injuries forced him to retire?

Before that..Mike Williams...21 years ago.

Not a very large sample. 

This is a pretty good breakdown of the good and the bad.  More good than bad.

I kinda think he's not going to be there at 27 now. 

We aren't the only team that needs help at RT.

Then as far back as Reuben Brown?

As it sits today,  my guess is Bates is back at RG. Definitely not my preference, but can understand some consistency would be nice.

If it was my choice between OT's, I go Wright. He can play LT, RT and even G. Jones is a monster but is really only a RT (imo) although would be wild if he could play RG (crazy, I know). But if people think Brown could move inside,  why not Jones?🤔

To move Dawkins, it would require a large upgrade imo and I don't see that available where we are picking. Not against it, just don't think any rookie we could pick would be better.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

As it sits today,  my guess is Bates is back at RG. Definitely not my preference, but can understand some consistency would be nice.

If it was my choice between OT's, I go Wright. He can play LT, RT and even G. Jones is a monster but is really only a RT (imo) although would be wild if he could play RG (crazy, I know). But if people think Brown could move inside,  why not Jones?🤔

To move Dawkins, it would require a large upgrade imo and I don't see that available where we are picking. Not against it, just don't think any rookie we could pick would be better.

That is nice to hear.  As to Dawkins, he no doubt is the LT this season.  Whether or not he gets another long extension next year is debatable.

I am curious as to what kind of shape he will be in at the start of camp.  The thing is, to be pro-active means having options.  A decision on

Dion is right around the corner along with Morse.  If a multi-purpose OL player is available this draft, go and get him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.