What Games Do You Think Buffalo Plays At Night

corta765

Now that free agency is settling a bit and we have an idea of what some foes are shaping into I got to thinking what our likely opponents could be for night matchups (TNF,SNF, & MNF). The NFL has a 5 game max for primetime games + one additional flex game for every NFL teams. This season also the NFL is allowing for MNF games to be flexed into in the back half the season so there is some talk certain teams and matchups might be setup so the NFL can easily swap out a poor matchup for a better one (which as the Broncos proved was a real issue last year, Lets Roll Broncos Country #ThanksRuss lol).

The Bills have been a max primetime team for 2 of the last 3 years with 2021 being 4 primetime games plus a late season flex. This years schedule is loadeddddd with primetime opponents as the Bills host playoff teams in Dallas, New York Gman, and Miami plus the Jets now have Rodgers and Broncos have Sean Payton. Their away schedule is even wilder as they are at KC, Cincy, Philly, & LA Chargers plus the normal of division opponents Jets/Phins. The Patriots for some reason were the divisional opponent of choice the past two years for night games, but given how their appeal is falling while the Jets has skyrocketed and Miami is loading up I would expect both of those games to be at 1pm finally. The NFL has flexed the Bills the past five years for either the Saturday game in December (Pats 2019, Broncos 2020, & Phins 2022) or Sunday for SNF/4pm (Steelers 2020 & Jets 2021).

The league does try to rotate so prime matchups that are in conference like KC v BUF are shared between CBS for their national window and the night matchups on TNF, SNF, and MNF. The league will also listen to team requests for things like if they opened on the road last year can they be at home for this year or in the Bills case they have been on Thanksgiving a bunch can they take a break from that. So factoring this in I rank matchups at night as followed and please share yours:

1. at KC (MNF as last year was CBS so back to night)

2. DAL at BUF (SNF // Ratings to the max people)

3. Jets (SNF // I lean towards at NYC but either way with the other probably the DEC flex game for the night matchup)

4. at PHI (MNF)

5. MIA at BUF (TNF)

I think the CIN game will be the 4 pm national window spot along with the Chargers. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BBFL said:

One would think the most likely are Eagles/Chiefs/Bengals/Dolphins. Maybe the Jets if it’s flexed that way. Cowboys could be the late Thanksgiving?

no - Dallas always hosts on Thanksgiving, and we’re home against them this season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BBFL said:

One would think the most likely are Eagles/Chiefs/Bengals/Dolphins. Maybe the Jets if it’s flexed that way. Cowboys could be the late Thanksgiving?

We play Dallas at home next year and the Cowboys always play at home on Thanksgiving. Last year the Bills played at Detroit and the Giants played at Dallas. If they alternate the AFC team going to Detroit and Dallas, then the Cowboys are scheduled to play the AFC team on Thanksgiving. The only AFC teams going to Dallas next year are the Jets and Pats. My guess is Jets at Dallas on Thanksgiving.

As for the Bills I would say one of the Jets games is a good bet for primetime. The league will want to showcase Allen vs Rodgers. Plus these teams may very well be battling for the AFCE. I will say at KC on SNF. Giants at Bills on MNF. Bills at Dolphins on SNF.

I think the Bills vs Bengals game will be the Sunday afternoon national game. To avoid any superstition, it may not be a good idea for the Bills and Bengals to play on primetime given what happened that Monday night in Cincinnati.

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gregg said:

As for the Bills I would say one of the Jets games is a good bet for primetime. The league will want to showcase Allen vs Rodgers. Plus these teams may very well be battling for the AFCE. I will say at KC on SNF. Giants at Bills on MNF. Bills at Dolphins on SNF..

Is Rodgers even going to make it as a NYJ? If so, yes. As it stands? Miami has to be the opponent for an in-division prime time game given the 3 games were all respectively competitive. Bills were flat the second meeting @ Orchard Park. Still a shout but that’s only contingent on A-Rod getting there. 2¢

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Is Rodgers even going to make it as a NYJ? If so, yes. As it stands? Miami has to be the opponent for an in-division prime time game given the 3 games were all respectively competitive. Bills were flat the second meeting @ Orchard Park. Still a shout but that’s only contingent on A-Rod getting there. 2¢

I also picked the Bills at Dolphins for SNF. Bills will get 4 or 5. Last year GB at BUF was SNF. So, the league took advantage of the Allen - Rodgers matchup. I expect the same this year if Rodgers becomes a Jet.

6 minutes ago, Irv said:

Hopefully no night home games.  Last ones I went to, I got home at 3AM and 4AM in Rochester.  

No chance that happens. It does suck when you get home late, and you have to go to work/school the next day. 

• Agree 1

Just now, arcane said:

Jets would be cool, because if they're good it'd be the first time the two teams were must-watch prime time TV. 

I think you have to go all the way to back to 1981 when both teams were good at the same time. The 81 WC game was a classic. I was at Shea that day. Simpson intercepting Todd in the final seconds at the goal line to preserve a 31-27 win was exciting and nerve-wracking as could be.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BBFL said:

NFL doesn't care. Rodgers to NY is such an easy marketing thing that they will 100% milk it. Now probably to avoid a R Wilson situation I can see the NFL maybe having the Jets play more primetime games early season with flex later on. It's why I think Buffalo hosts them on Saturday in DEC so they can put at night if the Jets are something, if they suck its a 1pm Sunday game.

Miami I 100% becomes the division foe that takes the spot NE had for primetime. I could see Bills TNF host and end of year at Miami with the idea maybe flex in for the division crown if it is tight.

14 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I think you have to go all the way to back to 1981 when both teams were good at the same time. The 81 WC game was a classic. I was at Shea that day. Simpson intercepting Todd in the final seconds at the goal line to preserve a 31-27 win was exciting and nerve-wracking as could be.

Bills in 1998 were good as were Jets who went to AFC title while we lost in WC to Miami. Other then that yea 81 was the last time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

NFL doesn't care. Rodgers to NY is such an easy marketing thing that they will 100% milk it. Now probably to avoid a R Wilson situation I can see the NFL maybe having the Jets play more primetime games early season with flex later on. It's why I think Buffalo hosts them on Saturday in DEC so they can put at night if the Jets are something, if they suck its a 1pm Sunday game.

Miami I 100% becomes the division foe that takes the spot NE had for primetime. I could see Bills TNF host and end of year at Miami with the idea maybe flex in for the division crown if it is tight.

Bills in 1998 were good as were Jets who went to AFC title while we lost in WC to Miami. Other then that yea 81 was the last time.

Good call. I forgot about 98. There hasn't too many years where both the Bills and Jets were good at the same time. Maybe now the rivalry will heat up. The Jets are definitely #3 behind the Dolphins/Pats on the Bills rivalry list. Although I am not sure the Bills vs Pats was ever a real rivalry since they basically destroyed the Bills for 20 years. I think Brady is something like 31-3 vs the Bills or close to that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.