The Walls be Closing

Kemp

2 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Not criminally

Not yet.  duh, this is a $250 mil civil case that could  and most likely will sink his biz.  Do you think that's fair given his civil crimes?  didn't you want the Enron frauds to be punished?

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

I've gotta admit I don't really see any damages in the Trump Inflated Real Estate civil suit. I guess it's a per se violation of NYS law to do this (I haven't researched it), but typically these civil enforcement actions will be brought when some aggrieved party complains to the AG. Something like "I provided financing to the Trump Organization based on their fraudulent valuations, and then they defaulted and I lost my shirt."

It would be clearer if it was the OTHER way around, valuing the property too low for tax purposes, and fairly for investor purposes. That way the damage is to the taxpayer, and it's a clear tax fraud case. So this is weird, and I have to conclude that it is obviously a civil prosecution motivated by political reasons.

Now that doesn't mean it's not "fair" in a global sense. Life isn't fair, and if you go around violating accepted business practices, well, you've got it coming. I'm just pointing out that it's an unusual case.

(I'll also agree that the Mar-a-Lago valuation thing is far from clear. Other things like overstating the square footage of Trump's condo? That's easy to prove)

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I'm not defending Trump. I've never supported him. That said, the Dems have gone waaaay overboard with their TDS. Weaponizing govt agencies and branches against him is bananananana republics shyt

I hope more of whatever is left of the real R party or are part of the redeemable MAGA base see the logic in abandoning him...

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

The conservatives I know shouldn’t support Trump.  He’s a populist.  I think they’re very confused right now. 

Very few of the classically defined conservatives I know do...I read that Peter Theil doesn't anymore.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I hope more of whatever is left of the real R party or are part of the redeemable MAGA base see the logic in abandoning him...

Very few of the classically defined conservatives I know do...I read that Peter Theil doesn't anymore.

Agree totally. There are plenty of Rs left.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

these civil enforcement actions will be brought when some aggrieved party complains to the AG. Something like "I provided financing to the Trump Organization based on their fraudulent valuations, and then they defaulted and I lost my shirt."

NFL?  as he had to prove his wealth to make a bid on the bills?  

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

So who did he defraud?

I have not yet had a chance to go through the entire ruling, but from what I've read so far, NYS allows for the attorney general to sue on behalf of the people of the State of New York when someone "engage[s] in repeated fraudulent or illegal acts or otherwise demonstate[s] persistent fraud or illegality in the carrying on, conducting, or transaction of business" (Page 3)

So even if the banks being defrauded weren't US banks (which I'm not sure if he managed to find a US bank that lend to him or not), the NY AG can go after a business in New York that is engaged in fraud.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I've gotta admit I don't really see any damages in the Trump Inflated Real Estate civil suit. I guess it's a per se violation of NYS law to do this (I haven't researched it), but typically these civil enforcement actions will be brought when some aggrieved party complains to the AG. Something like "I provided financing to the Trump Organization based on their fraudulent valuations, and then they defaulted and I lost my shirt."

It would be clearer if it was the OTHER way around, valuing the property too low for tax purposes, and fairly for investor purposes. That way the damage is to the taxpayer, and it's a clear tax fraud case. So this is weird, and I have to conclude that it is obviously a civil prosecution motivated by political reasons.

Now that doesn't mean it's not "fair" in a global sense. Life isn't fair, and if you go around violating accepted business practices, well, you've got it coming. I'm just pointing out that it's an unusual case.

(I'll also agree that the Mar-a-Lago valuation thing is far from clear. Other things like overstating the square footage of Trump's condo? That's easy to prove)

See, again, there you go. 

The govt is supposed to wear the white hat Frank, and in many cases that’s not what happens.  This is classic NYS political maneuvering, and one would argue playing around the edges is what passes for “…accepted business practices…” in that venue.  In other words, people get paid to push things through, people look the other way, and that’s just NY. 

Consider the most recent long line of AGs and “Where are they now?”’

Cuomo

Schneiderman

Spitzer 

It’s ok to state you’re ok with this sort of politicking when you don’t like the defendant, but egregious if you do.  

⚖️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The govt is supposed to wear the white hat Frank, and in many cases that’s not what happens.  This is classic NYS political maneuvering, and one would argue playing around the edges is what passes for “…accepted business practices…” in that venue.  In other words, people get paid to push things through, people look the other way, and that’s just NY. 

Cuomo

Schneiderman

Spitzer 

It’s ok to state you’re ok with this sort of politicking when you don’t like the defendant, but egregious if you do.  

⚖️

At some point, you go after a scum bag. Lincoln had no legal right to free the slaves, but he did anyway 

2 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

You have a lot of nerve calling out Trump while your brain dead potato brain is the biggest crook in government today. You need to clean out your own party before you start criticizing other parties. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

41 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Cuomo

Schneiderman

Spitzer 

⚖️

Hoax.  I respect the rule of law.  Maybe you don’t, which is sad.  New York City is the financial capital of the world.  We can’t let things like this manipulation of asset values go unchecked.  That kind of lawlessness would threaten our status in the financial world.  

2 minutes ago, Westside said:

You have a lot of nerve calling out Trump while your brain dead potato brain is the biggest crook in government today. You need to clean out your own party before you start criticizing other parties. 

Hoax. 

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

No jury, no due process

just a very partisan judge coupled with a partisan DA.

Lots of hoaxes here.  More than usual, even for you.  Let’s see what happens on appeal.  

4 minutes ago, Westside said:

Speaking of dead potato brains, who is it again who is worried that Biden will lead us into World War II?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1