I hope that Beane makes a big move right when FA is officially open.

Tipster19

1 minute ago, RunTheBall said:

I remember the day when we sucked and the best part of the season was the free agency period when we’d overpay to bring in some declining big name player and hope would spring anew

I’m glad those days are gone and we have a GM who swings for the fences from time to time but also doesn’t feel the need to make the fans happy with splash free agency signings right off the bat.

My gut says they are pushing for Wagner to fill the gaping LB hole then we will fill the other holes with mid-range free agent signings before the draft. I don’t expect a big WR trade but wouldn’t mind it.

I think it's Lavonte David.  Sal C even retweeted a Ryan Talbot/Draft Diamonds mention that we have interest.  No way Sal does that unless he knows it's factual 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Kupp would be a stunner.  He was an apparent Bills fan in 2015.  He's 29 

Diggs

Kupp

OBJ  (discount to play with buddies Von and Kupp)

Yes. 

Scary! I would trade Gabe Davis and a 3rd round pick for Kupp especially if we sign OBJ also. 

6 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The key to winning Free Agency is not the big splash signings.

It's figuring out which cheaper players have untapped potential (such as when we originally signed Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde), and knowing which older veterans still have something left in the tank.  Almost like playing the stock market.  Buy low.  Sell high.

Von Miller made all the headlines last year.  But our best signing (by far) was Daquan Jones.

Love DaQuan, and I think you're right that you can and often do win FA without making splash signings.

But if Von had stayed healthy, I thought we had an excellent chance of winning the SB. When he was injured, our odds dropped a lot.

But it was Von's signing, or more specifically the high totals we spent in FA last year, that put us on a budget this year.

The idea, though, that you can't get better without splash signings, though common, is ridiculous. We'll bring in a bunch more FAs, probably including one or two more mid-level guys. Plus we'll draft. Plus get healthy. Plus many of our younger guys will get better as they develop.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

Scary! I would trade Gabe Davis and a 3rd round pick for Kupp especially if we sign OBJ also. 

Let's get crazy.  Gabe Davis, Ed Oliver, Tre White, 3rd, 2024 1st  for Kupp and AD both restructured/extended/ Rams eating salary

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

if this team is going to win a SB, we need more top end talent. 

Agreed. 

I wouldn’t fault them if they’re comfortable with Dawkins-Bates-Morse-McGovern-Brown with Doyle and Boettger heading into the draft.  That starting 5 has some potential, but I say that with the assumption they are targeting RT at 27.   Getting a high end Tackle to compete with Brown and then drafting a G/C in the middle rounds would really make me confident in how they addressed OL this off-season.  

As to where we stand now … Bills need to upgrade WR2 and then decide if Davis is their WR3, is he in future plans, is he a potential trade piece?  

Hopkins, OBJ or Jeudy would be a game changer in giving Allen the type of talent Mahomes and Burrow have. 

Make a move at WR2 and this off-season takes on a very different energy. 

As of now.. where we currently stand.. I feel like we’re still AFCE favorites (Rodgers/Jets included), but it’s a dogfight with them and Miami … and we’re still a slight notch talent-wise below KC and CIN, dependent upon Allen to be otherworldly to close the gap. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I remember the day when we sucked and the best part of the season was the free agency period when we’d overpay to bring in some declining big name player and hope would spring anew

I’m glad those days are gone and we have a GM who swings for the fences from time to time but also doesn’t feel the need to make the fans happy with splash free agency signings right off the bat.

My gut says they are pushing for Wagner to fill the gaping LB hole then we will fill the other holes with mid-range free agent signings before the draft. I don’t expect a big WR trade but wouldn’t mind it.

This is so true. I really hope it’s not Wagner. He can’t cover now and this division will eat him alive because of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

How about Davis and Oliver for kupp? I saw that floated somewhere else.  Not sure I’d do it if I was the rams.  But we would move two guys who may well not be here next year for a big time skill player.  It’s a creative idea, to be sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agreed. 

I wouldn’t fault them if they’re comfortable with Dawkins-Bates-Morse-McGovern-Brown with Doyle and Boettger heading into the draft.  That starting 5 has some potential, but I say that with the assumption they are targeting RT at 27.   Getting a high end Tackle to compete with Brown and then drafting a G/C in the middle rounds would really make me confident in how they addressed OL this off-season.  

As to where we stand now … Bills need to upgrade WR2 and then decide if Davis is their WR3, is he in future plans, is he a potential trade piece?  

Hopkins, OBJ or Jeudy would be a game changer in giving Allen the type of talent Mahomes and Burrow have. 

Make a move at WR2 and this off-season takes on a very different energy. 

As of now.. where we currently stand.. I feel like we’re still AFCE favorites (Rodgers/Jets included), but it’s a dogfight with them and Miami … and we’re still a slight notch talent-wise below KC and CIN, dependent upon Allen to be otherworldly to close the gap. 

Not a big Juedy fan. He seemingly has underperformed thus far. Would he be a good fit with the Bills? 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Not a big Juedy fan. He seemingly has underperformed thus far. Would he be a good fit with the Bills? 

I think he’s worth a shot.  He’s got elite potential, but yes, has underperformed on bad offenses.  

5M cap hit this year, plus 5th year option. 

We have two years at a manageable cap hit to see if he’s that WR2 with the ability to be the lead dog down the line.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

How about Davis and Oliver for kupp? I saw that floated somewhere else.  Not sure I’d do it if I was the rams.  But we would move two guys who may well not be here next year for a big time skill player.  It’s a creative idea, to be sure. 

And only add about $10M to the cap while creating another hole we'd have to fill with a free agent. For a 30-year-old who gets $20M each of the next four years, of which $35M guarantees the day after tomorrow, even against injury.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, nucci said:

I'm guessing LB and RB

I think there’s an excellent chance both positions are addressed in FA.  Unfortunately, I can see Buffalo adding more of an AJ Klein type player and not a Lavonte David or Bob Wagner.  

I think they draft a safety in Round 1

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I think there’s an excellent chance both positions are addressed in FA.  Unfortunately, I can see Buffalo adding more of an AJ Klein type player and not a Lavonte David or Bob Wagner.  

I think they draft a safety in Round 1

I think they'll try for both and see who comes here. Wagner is a good possibility. 

Just now, Brian Higgins hair said:

My guess is O line, and maybe O Brown. 
Give Josh an extra couple seconds, and he’ll make anyone a great receiver. 

He'll want to get paid as a LT, though apparently some folks in the NFL view him as more a RT type. Are you moving Dawkins to G?

I think that may be where he should be, but I doubt Dawkins sees it that way. I'd be shocked if they spend on a big ticket olineman, though I wish they would.

I'd like to add Isaac Seumalo, the Eagles' guard.

2 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

Let’s say Beane makes several moves. How long until we start seeing the complaints about not receiving a compensatory pick for Edmunds departure?

Yup, and they'd be reasonable complaints. 

But not all FAs are compensatory FAs. It's very possible to bring in FAs who don't hurt you in the comp picks formula. RFAs and ERFAs are not CFAs, for example, so signing an RFA or an ERFA has no effect on your likelihood of receiving a comp pick. Lower-priced FAs - depending on the exact contract numbers, among other things - are also less likely to cancel out your comp picks.

Also, there's a date after which FAs acquired don't affect the formula. It's somewhere in late July or early August if I remember correctly.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

The other sneaky thing about the McGovern signing is he played with Bates at Penn State which means they know each other from the film room and field. This will help when Mitch leaves or gets hurt because both he and Bates can play Center and they may be playing side by side. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.