Defense Passing Game Coordinator John Butler

Buffalo_Stampede

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What exactly is his role on defense? He was promoted to Passing Game Coordinator in 2022. Does that mean he’s responsible for calling the coverages?

I'd assume he has some say in it?  Buffalo thrives in combo coverages and zone.  The key is being close enough to disrupt the catch point. 

The issue is that teams like KC can exploit that by creating leverage mismatches.  Same with Cincy - though they're more likely to try and create a 1x1 for chase or higgins. 

At the end of the day - we can complain about the coaching staff a ton.  But they tackled like crap all game long, there were mental lapses, and mistakes, everywhere.  Poyer was terrible.  Edmunds was terrible.  Milano was terrible.  Oliver was terrible.  Rousseau was terrible.  

On offense, the oline was just a disaster.  Allen was also really lousy in that game.  It's not a burn the film type of game, but you can't win when all of your best players just play poorly.  Like - on this play allen... what you wanted to do was... throw it better.  Or Spencer, on this one... you might want to get a hand on the guy in front of you.  What I can learn is.. maybe how to get my offense jump started a bit more? 

But the players need to get the juice themselves - this isn't high school.  If you can't get up for a big game, you need to look in the mirror and figure out how to do it next time.  People on both sides of the ball needed to make plays.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What exactly is his role on defense? He was promoted to Passing Game Coordinator in 2022. Does that mean he’s responsible for calling the coverages?  

He coordinates the passing game, ... come on.  

Don't worry, he'll be the one that gets fired next year as the scapegoat, ... if it's not the concessions manager that is.   That's OK, they can pay me whatever he's getting to point the finger at me.  I'm up for it.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.