Josh = Phil Rivers (just messenger)

Here is the reality...

NO Allen is NOT the new Rivers, he is incredibly more talented than Rivers and will absolutely have a better career than Rivers.  

BUT:  To people outside Buffalo, Allen was a disappointment this year, and when you have a player like Allen that everyone said wasn't good, then was proven wrong the past couple years, they will take ANY CHANCE they get to come back and see, he is not that good.  They clearly can't say he sucks anymore, but they can insult him and label him "Rivers" who was just always known for never getting it done while his rivals like Brady and Manning had much more success.  

Now let's get back to reality:  Mahomes had a lot of INT's this year too.  Burrow hasn't been nearly as statistically impressive as Allen, especially in the playoffs.  And Burrow has not gotten it done either...making the SB is not getting it done.  Mahomes has now played in 5 AFCCG...and if he loses the SB this year (and I think they will lose to the Eagles) that would mean just 1 SB win in 5 consecutive AFCCG's, which isn't really getting it done either.  

Right now, NONE of them are the new Brady.  Brady won Super Bowls, 3 in his first 4 seasons...these guys have combined to win 1.  Right now, Mahomes is more Rodgers or Indy Manning...1 SB, lots of disappointing ends to the postseason.  Neither Burrow or Allen have gotten the job done, but people like to talk as if Burrow has just because he reached the SB.

But...the fact is, Allen not reaching the SB has almost nothing to do with Allen.  Last year, he had the greatest 2 game stretch in playoff history and was practically perfect...Fraziers awful D, a ST Coordinator snafu, and equal brilliance by Mahomes killed that chance.  Allen has been playing with limited weapons, no running game, a bad OL, and DC whose defensive game plan has allowed 107 points and 1403 yards the last 3 playoff losses.  

If you polled the NFL right now...players, GM's, coaches on who scares them the most at QB...Mahomes would be #1 and Allen #2.  To be honest, Burrow reminds me a lot more of Rivers than Allen ever would.  And I think when their respective careers are over, Allen's resume will stand above his, and not out of the question he could finish ahead of Mahomes too if we can fix the issues around Allen quickly.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Automatically disagree with takes that gives a single player credit for a team accomplishment. 12 other qbs could've reached the Super Bowl last year with that defense, that coaching staff, that WR trio and that fg kicker. But hey go give all the credit to the man who did the least out of those I listed on his team. Averages 22 ppg, led an offense that only scored a td on 16.6% of their drives, but kicked fgs on 33.2% of their droves. Led the offense to 7 tds in 4 games. Way to go Joe, you killed it!!! :thumbsup:

And 12 other QBs didn’t get there.. including Allen.. I can waste my time pulling up the stats Allen put up against the Jags last year or even just the last half of this season and we can determine he’s not a top 10 qb in comparison to others in a short snap shot.

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

I forgot that was the AFCCG in 2021 I thought was division round.. I stand corrected.

Sigh the rest is excuse making I heard so much from Colts fans threw the Peyton years..  sadly your wrong about this for Allen, the Bills had the better Defense than the Bengals this year, as for coaching I don’t think the Bengals are any better. The true difference is the. E gals drafts better than most everyone else and has a lot of young elite talent out there on O. Those 3 WR are awesome but their O line is definitely inferior to the Bills O line which wasn’t very good either. The truth is the Bengals the last 2 years have excelled in the playoffs.. The Bills were 13 seconds last year from being repeats in the AFC Game. 

Stop no one has had a better PLAYOFF defense over the last 2 years than Cincy. A defense that has held down offenses such as KC at KC last year and both at Buffalo and at KC again this year. I see you changed it to the Bengals, not Burrow at the end if your response. That I've never denied, the Bengals have had the better record in the last 2 playoffs.

Our defense by the end of the year wasn't better. Not minus Hyde, Miller, Hamlin(Hydes replacement), with Poyer and Tre White playing no where near 100%. Hell Poyer could barely run at the end. That's 12 All-Pro selections between them. There was too much talent lost to be a good defense and they weren't from mid-season on. Oh yeah I forgot Free Safety #3 gets hurt in the Bengals game, on to #4. And on and on it went.

28 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah? Who won? Who has the credit for the game winning drive?  Who has won every playoff match-up?   Sorry, but moral victories don’t count in the real world.

It's not a "moral victory."  Mahomes didn't BEAT Allen. KC beat the Bills.

It's a team game. The quarterbacks don't play each other, at any point.

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

And 12 other QBs didn’t get there.. including Allen.. I can waste my time pulling up the stats Allen put up against the Jags last year or even just the last half of this season and we can determine he’s not a top 10 qb in comparison to others in a short snap shot.

Lol stop. We're talking playoffs stats, when it really matters!! Not some meaningless regular season stats. Joe Burrow's play in the playoffs to date....by every measurement has been average so far. His QB Rating, his QBR, his yards, his tds passes per game, his td to int ratio, every measurement comes back average or below average. Only one he excels in, that's riding his teammate's coattails in the playoffs and then taking the credit for it.

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s one thing to compare the organizations but it’s insane to compare the players.  Rivers was a trash-taking immobile anticipation thrower with a mid-range arm.  How the hell is that Allen?  Again - I loved watching Rivers play but it’s nothing like watching Allen play.  Spanos is an aloof cash-poor owner.  They had LT in his prime but never built a great offense around Phil.  Defensive-minded coaches until Lynn came along.  So maybe the organizations compare?  This is a waste of a thread.

Agree except that Norv Turner was also an offensive minded coach

• Like (+1) 1

Allen is #1 in jersey sales in the NFL.

https://buffalonews.com/business/local/with-nfl-s-top-selling-jersey-josh-allen-s-popularity-reaches-next-level/article_63dbcf2c-a0cb-11ed-98fd-57bad9134ddb.html

Remember all those times Philip Rivers was #1 in jersey sales? Yeah, me neither.

OP just listens to the wrong people.

Wait, who was #1? Josh Allen.

You mean Joe Burrow? Josh Allen.

You mean Pat Mahomes? Josh Allen.

There'll be recency bias. But people love Allen, and Bills fans alone wouldn't buy enough to make him #1.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, kota said:

wow what an original concept.  Upgrade the line this is all.  The only reason we won 13 games this season is because of Josh.  he had to superman so of those games.  

Not true at all.

Josh being terrific is certainly one of the reasons we won 13 games. There are plenty of others, though.

The defense was 5th in the league in points allowed, 19.1 points per game despite losing Hyde, Von Miller and many many others for an awful lot of the season.

Anyone not seeing that was a major part of the picture just doesn't get it.

I certainly would like to see them upgrade the line. But that's not all. They need S, WR and probably DL as well, unfortunately.

Edited by Thurman#1

Allen's the only QB that I'm aware of that plays at a high level, despite on every play potentially having to overcome coaching/poor-play-calling, highly questionable OL play, and an extreme lack of riding production to support him. 

Given his situation, it's remarkable what he's done.

Edited by PBF81

10 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

More I consider it I think the more accurate color to date is Aaron Rodgers.

With the exception of one season out of about 15 the Packers always underachieved in the postseason. But it was not always Aaron Rodgers fault. 

So far that has largely been Allen and the Bills. 

I said this also. They even are 5th(Rodgers 100.1) & 6th(Allen 99.6) in career postseason QB Rating. They have each have played at a very high level in the postseason yet their combined postseason record is barely above .500(16-14). Neither gets the support they need to be successful in the playoffs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.