What Are Your Expectations For The 2023 Season?

H2o

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

If I was Allen I would get into a weight room all off-season and come into training camp in the best shape of my life.

That vacation photo and he’s got a pooch gut? Not acceptable. 

Get into the weight room, and come back with 10+ pounds of muscle. 

On Kyle Brandts podcast he talks about always joking with Jordan Palmer when Burrow is “all ball”.

Not saying he’s not serious, but one thing he can control is his fitness and I think by the photos he could be an even more dynamic athlete. 

I think Josh needs a disciplinarian around him. Someone to lay down the law and get him into line, otherwise he can be too laid back and casual. Which is odd for someone who is nauseous with nerves before games. In the most recent Brandt basement podcast, though this is probably being unfair, it felt like Kyle was more upset about the Bengals defeat than Josh was.

There was something off about the whole team post bye this year and that does lead to concerns heading into next season. And, even if the Bills start well, what happens when they hit the bye, as it was a similar story in 2021 until the play offs, when the offense suddenly clicked into gear.

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I can only answer this when I see the changes in coaching and playing roster.

My gut tells me there will be cosmetic improvement only.

I don’t understand the the calls for coaching changes. Look at the defensive line they put on the field in the playoffs and compare it to pretty much any other championship DL. We haven’t had anyone  on the DL we can depend on to make a play in any of Josh Allen’s playoff years.

When it’s about beating the top 2-3 teams in the league you need those players on the DL.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Disagree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t understand the the calls for coaching changes. Look at the defensive line they put on the field in the playoffs and compare it to pretty much any other championship DL. We haven’t had anyone  on the DL we can depend on to make a play in any of Josh Allen’s playoff years.

When it’s about beating the top 2-3 teams in the league you need those players on the DL.

Yup, they signed Von Miller to be that guy for them in the postseason and he wasn’t available. The performance of the Bills DL in the playoffs this year showed why they signed him in the first place. 

Expectations are tempered. Their schedule is brutal (this is the biggest problem for 2023), the AFC East teams will be better, the Bills lack elite talent (except for Allen, Diggs and maybe Miller if he recovers from the ACL injury - Milano is really good but he is not elite like a  Fred Warner), the coaching in terms of in-game adjustments is simply lacking, and they are in cap hell. They'll probably go 10-7 and slip in as a wild card or maybe even win the division if they can go 4-2 in their division. I prefer they start to jettison players who won't be here in 2025 and use whatever draft capital they acquire to load up on O linemen but I get it if others feel they need to keep plugging away and hope Allen can overcome any team weaknesses in the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

Expectations are tempered. Their schedule is brutal (this is the biggest problem for 2023), the AFC East teams will be better, the Bills lack elite talent (except for Allen, Diggs and maybe Miller if he recovers from the ACL injury - Milano is really good but he is not elite like a  Fred Warner), the coaching in terms of in-game adjustments is simply lacking, and they are in cap hell. They'll probably go 10-7 and slip in as a wild card or maybe even win the division if they can go 4-2 in their division. I prefer they start to jettison players who won't be here in 2025 and use whatever draft capital they acquire to load up on O linemen but I get it if others feel they need to keep plugging away and hope Allen can overcome any team weaknesses in the playoffs.

The schedule is always brutal. We’re always a first Place schedule.

6 hours ago, Mango said:

I am afraid the wheels fall off this thing and this staff and FO lose the roster and that forces the Pegulas to reset, which is terrifying. I think the staff knows this is a possibility and they may risk long term resources in order to save a single season/their jobs. Also a scary prospect. 

that is a reasonable fear..I wish it had zero probability but its probably 90% accurate

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The schedule is always brutal. We’re always a first Place schedule.

that would be true except look at the two divisions they are playing next year as opposed to this year -  are you suggesting the NFC East is equivalent to the NFC Central? Same for the AFC West vs, the AFC North (this one I could see arguing they about the same overall but I give the edge to teh AFC West)

6 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

that would be true except look at the two divisions they are playing next year as opposed to this year -  are you suggesting the NFC East is equivalent to the NFC Central? Same for the AFC West vs, the AFC North (this one I could see arguing they about the same overall but I give the edge to teh AFC West)

You never know what will happen. Packers were a Super Bowl contender prior to last year. Giants could easily fall apart. Washington? Who knows.

Road games at KC, CIN, and PHIL. The Bills better do well at home. I could see a losing road record next year. We will have to see how FA and the draft go but my early guess is 10-7 as a worst-case scenario and 12-5 as a best-case scenario. Assuming they don't get hit too hard with injuries. 

Edited by Gregg

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

I think Josh needs a disciplinarian around him. Someone to lay down the law and get him into line, otherwise he can be too laid back and casual. Which is odd for someone who is nauseous with nerves before games. In the most recent Brandt basement podcast, though this is probably being unfair, it felt like Kyle was more upset about the Bengals defeat than Josh was.

There was something off about the whole team post bye this year and that does lead to concerns heading into next season. And, even if the Bills start well, what happens when they hit the bye, as it was a similar story in 2021 until the play offs, when the offense suddenly clicked into gear.

I don't believe he is too laid back or casual at all. If anything, I think he gets too amped and takes too much of the weight upon himself to do extraordinary things. Another problem with that is outside of Diggs, the talent is very ordinary or below average. If you don't think Josh was crushed inside about losing to the Bengals then I don't know what to tell you. He is the ultimate competitor who has had to scratch and claw his way through everything during his life in sports. There was something off about the team. Hard to say what it was, but it's over now. Hopefully, we have better fortune with injuries next year and they do a thorough, good reshaping of the roster. 

22 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

Disappointment and the hopes everyone will be fired by 2024. I also hope we haven’t wasted such a talented roster by having soft hearted coaches. 

I don’t think they’re that talented. I think the Bills built a good college program and we have a bunch or juniors and seniors that play well together and know the system.

I think they have a few talented players in the right spots, QB1 and WR1 that can carry an offense. So we’ll be contenders, especially with our QB1.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

21 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

The OP was so long that I couldn't read it all the way through. 

When you talk about cutting players dont forget  about dead cap money.

There's always a chance Josh reworks his contract to free up cap space.

Hines' contract isn't guaranteed,is it? I'd try to renegotiate and if Singletary gets an offer the Bills won't match,draft a bigger back.

Brown was hurt and I think he can be serviceable. Morse is much more than "meh" but Bills need a plan in case he gets hurt again. Bates might be better off at LG and good riddance to Saffold.

Poyer, Hamlin and Hyde could ALL be gone. Benford to safety has been floated...could the Bills move to a 4-3 ,dump the nickel and try Taron at safety?

It may have been long but it was good and thorough.

Some people have the attention span of my dog.  Squirrel!

They have no money to add anything serious. I expect to lose at least 4 current starters. Their recent draft picks have not been good enough to fill the voids that will be created.

Add to that my complete and utter lack of faith in the coordinators and schemes and next year feels like a step back year. It remains to be seen if it's a one year step back or the start of a trend.

Teams that are perennially good draft well and the Bills haven't.

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The process has been trusted to death. Enough already. 

That phrase began I believe with the 76ers who seem to have built the same thing the Bills have. A good team built around one player that they can't seem to support enough to challenge for a title. They lost in heartbreaking fashion in the conference championship one year and never really contended since. They've won games and made the playoffs, but never became that top echelon team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.