Should we trade Ed Oliver?

Just now, HappyDays said:

Yeah he's not terrible, just underwhelming given his draft position. People wanting to just trade him for a 4th or whatever are crazy. The only reason I'd trade him is if we're using the trade as a way to acquire a difference maker on offense. We're unlikely to extend him next year so I'm fine letting him go a year early if it still improves our team overall in 2023.

That's exactly why we want to trade him.  It's not to carry over the cap or because we really want a Day 3 pick.  

Even if we simply use his 10M to sign a different DT and Wagner so we can use our early round picks on Offense.. to me, that's a better use of cap space than 10M for Oliver. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Why is that more important than Josh's potential WR2 or OL upgrade?

He’s a starter and key player on defense (whether or not he meets the expectations required). Not more important but still importance to the team overall. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ed Oliver isn't making or breaking our Super Bowl chances. 

But any move away from him is almist certainly a significant downgrade. You only do that to get something good back in return. A mid round pick in this ***** draft ain't it. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But any move away from him is almist certainly a significant downgrade. You only do that to get something good back in return. A mid round pick in this ***** draft ain't it. 

If he gets us a Jeudy, a Hopkins, an Evans or something comparable....it's worth it.  Maybe we go after Poona Ford.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

If he gets us a Jeudy, a Hopkins, an Evans or something comparable....it's worth it.  Maybe we go after Poona Ford.

I get the fascination for Evans and Hopkins, I really do. But I have to believe if you’re trading for a WR who you’ll have to rework a contract with and give up assets then why not do it for a younger guy with less mileage and a longer future. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.