• Kyle Shanahan
    • Brian Daboll
    • Nick Sirianni
    • Doug Pederson
    • Dan Campbell
    • Kevin O’Connell
    • Someone else

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

I struggled between Shanahan and Daboll. I think most will. I think something can be made of the NFCW weakness this season when compared to NFCE. The Chiefs played the 49ers in SF, and obliterated them. 

Look at the 49ers schedule this season. It had to be among the easiest in the nfl

Bears - joke

Hawks - above avg

Broncos - joke

Rams - joke

Panthers - joke

Falcons - joke

Chiefs - really good

Rams - joke

Chargers - above avg

Cardinals - joke

Saints - below avg

Dolphins - good

Bucs - avg

Hawks - above avg

Commanders - avg

Raiders - joke

Cardinals - joke

At least 9 games vs horrible teams. Props to them for handling business though. The Chiefs game might be indicative of their slightly inflated W/L record. 

Look up the Giants schedule - it’s not even close how much harder it was. 

The 49ers won 3,5 more games than the Giants.  6 of the Giants 9 wins were against sub .500 teams.  3 of wins were against the worst, 2nd worst & 4th worst teams in the NFL.  Those 6 games were against teams with a combined record of 32-68-2.  The Giants 3 other wins were against Washington, Baltimore & Jacksonville.  Most of the tough teams on the Giants schedule, they lost to.  

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Daboll was the lock until Brock Purdy came along. To storm into the playoffs as a SB favorite with your 3rd string QB is an all-time great accomplishment. I don't know if anyone can stop SF right now. Daboll's story of turning around a ***** team and taking NYG to the playoffs for the first time in 6 years with the exact same talent they had last year when they went 4-13 is awesome, but Shanahan is writing a story that will get him to the HoF this season.

McD isn't even on the board for me. The bills were supposed to roll this year, and instead they mostly limped through. Props for showing heart and winning tough games, but they made most of it look way harder than they should have. Maybe they'll have enough gas in the tank to still win it all, but they were a much more impressive looking team in each of the past two years than they were this year from my perspective.

The Bills were 7-6 in November last year, had some really ugly losses, and barely won a weak division. You think that team looked more impressive than this year?

This year they are the #1 ranked team in DVOA. They've lost 3 games by a total of 8 points. This despite all the injuries and hardships on/off the field.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/17/2023 at 7:51 PM, Dan said:

Where’s the option for McD?  

delete thread...try again. 

Actually, I was listening to some sports talk show a couple weeks ago and they brought up McD as a candidate because of how he got the team thru all the issues.

Peter King also mentioned him in FMIA.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Sammy Watkins&#x27; Rib said:

I think Tomlin did a heck of a job as usual. They finished the season with a winning record. TJ Watt, who for my money is the best defensive player in the game, missed 7 games. Steelers were 8-2 in games he played in this year. They were in a transition year with a rookie QB and still managed a winning season while missing their best player for a large chunk of the season.

Getting another mediocre team to a mediocre result is not coach of the year material.

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The 49ers won 3,5 more games than the Giants.  6 of the Giants 9 wins were against sub .500 teams.  3 of wins were against the worst, 2nd worst & 4th worst teams in the NFL.  Those 6 games were against teams with a combined record of 32-68-2.  The Giants 3 other wins were against Washington, Baltimore & Jacksonville.  Most of the tough teams on the Giants schedule, they lost to.  

The Giants also play in the most competitive division in football, while SF plays in the joke that is the NFC West.

Shanahan also has a much more talented roster to work with than Daboll.  Thei Giants' best receiver was on our practice squad.

Edited by Billz4ever

14 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Daniel Jones?  LOL  There was talk the dude might not even make it through a few games at the beginning of the year.  Dude has 3200 yds and 15 TDs and you're making it sound like he's Josh Allen. 

Claiming Shanahan is coach of the year because of Purdy is like saying Belichick was coach of the year because the GM caught lightning in a bottle drafting Brady.

Just between McCaffrey, Samuel, and Kittle, that's more talent than the Giants' entire offensive side of the ball. 

I'm not even going to mention the defensive side of the ball because it's not even close.

The Giants also play in the most competitive division in football, while the NFC West is largely a joke.

All he said was they had a first round qb. Never compared Jones to anyone, let alone Josh. Wow. 

44 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

The Giants also play in the most competitive division in football, while SF plays in the joke that is the NFC West.

Shanahan also has a much more talented roster to work with than Daboll.  Thei Giants' best receiver was on our practice squad.

The only team in their division they beat was Washington. What does their division have to do with anything when their record in the division was 1-4-1?  A team whose coach goes 1-4-1 in the division & beats up on bad teams for two thirds of their wins is not going to have their coach win COTY.  3 wins were gimmes vs 3 horrible teams.  Not mediocre, horrible.  Those 3 teams are drafting 1,2 & 4.  That's 1/3 of their wins.  Also, in their final 8 games they went 2-5-1.  Anyone who truly believes Daboll should be COTY is homering more than Barry Bonds on steroids.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Getting another mediocre team to a mediocre result is not coach of the year material.

You singled out Tomlin yet have no problem with Campbell? Campbell didn't miss his best player for 7 games and wasn't in a transition year at the QB position playing a green rookie and a lifeless Trubitzky. Both teams finished 9-8. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

All he said was they had a first round qb. Never compared Jones to anyone, let alone Josh. Wow. 

Where a QB was drafted is completely irrelevant as history has often proven.

"wow" LMAO

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The only team in their division they beat was Washington. What does their division have to do with anything when their record in the division was 1-4-1?  A team whose coach goes 1-4-1 in the division & beats up on bad teams for two thirds of their wins is not going to have their coach win COTY.  3 wins were gimmes vs 3 horrible teams.  Not mediocre, horrible.  Those 3 teams are drafting 1,2 & 4.  That's 1/3 of their wins.  Also, in their final 8 games they went 2-5-1.  Anyone who truly believes Daboll should be COTY is homering more than Barry Bonds on steroids.  

That doesn't change the fact that the NFC East is lightyears better than the NFC West.

You left out the part where they play in the only division where every team was .500 or better and 3 of the 4 teams are in the playoffs, to include the #1 seed.

Their #1 receiver is literally a dude from our practice squad.  LMAO

The Niners have one of the most talented top to bottom rosters in football.

Edited by Billz4ever

14 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bills were 7-6 in November last year, had some really ugly losses, and barely won a weak division. You think that team looked more impressive than this year?

This year they are the #1 ranked team in DVOA. They've lost 3 games by a total of 8 points. This despite all the injuries and hardships on/off the field.

Absolutely. Last years Bills lost too many games, but they also dismantled opponents the way this squad hasn't. We lost our games close this year, yes, but we also won most of them close too. This year's squad has routinely played down to their opponent, imo.

16 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Isiah hodgins who our staff didn't think even deserved a roster spot is his wr1 lol

Because he's not good enough to play here. Who would you sit to play him? The only reason he's getting reps in NY, is because they have the weakest receiving group in the league.

5 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

The Niners have one of the most talented top to bottom rosters in football.

And they play like it regardless of who they play at QB. You're acting like this isn't the NFL where QB isn't more important than the rest of the roster combined.

• Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

And they play like it regardless of who they play at QB. You're acting like this isn't the NFL where QB isn't more important than the rest of the roster combined.

I can give you several average QBs that have won Super Bowls.  And how good a QB is has nothing to do with where they're drafted.  See Tom Brady, see Ryan Leaf...and about 500 other examples.

Edited by Billz4ever

14 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I can give you several average QBs that have won Super Bowls.  And how good a QB is has nothing to do with where they're drafted.  See Tom Brady, see Ryan Leaf...and about 500 other examples.

Yes, I am well aware that there are "several". There have been maybe 5 of them over ~60 years if you don't count QBs who had great runs the year they won it all with otherwise average or up and down careers. These 5 were all paired with elite defenses with 4 of them being historically good (85 bears, 91 Giants, 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs).

14 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Statistically untrue. Of the top 20 NFL passers of all time 15 of them were taken in the 1st round and only 2 were taken after the 3rd (Brady and Moon). There is overwhelming data that says the early rounds of the draft will yield the best QBs. That doesn't mean you can't be great if you're drafted later, but it does mean it's far less likely.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yes, I am well aware that there are "several". There have been maybe 5 of them over ~60 years if you don't count QBs who had great runs the year they won it all with otherwise average or up and down careers. These 5 were all paired with elite defenses with 4 of them being historically good (85 bears, 91 Giants, 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs).

Statistically untrue. Of the top 20 NFL passers of all time 15 of them were taken in the 1st round and only 2 were taken after the 3rd (Brady and Moon). There is overwhelming data that says the early rounds of the draft will yield the best QBs. That doesn't mean you can't be great if you're drafted later, but it does mean it's far less likely.

I have no idea what your point is with Purdy and Shannahan.  If anything, Shannahan got lucky AF that Purdy turned out the way he has.  

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I have no idea what your point is with Purdy and Shannahan.  If anything, Shannahan got lucky AF that Purdy turned out the way he has.  

my point is that Shanahan is the likely reason why Purdy is good. He's proven it year after year. At every job he's had, he's led QBs to career years including guys like Brian Hoyer, RG III, Matt Ryan, Nick Mullens, CJ Breathard, Jimmy Garoppolo and came just a hair short of his best with Rex Grossman.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

my point is that Shanahan is the likely reason why Purdy is good. He's proven it year after year. At every job he's had, he's led QBs to career years including guys like Brian Hoyer, RG III, Matt Ryan, Nick Mullens, CJ Breathard, Jimmy Garoppolo and came just a hair short of his best with Rex Grossman.

Or maybe Purdy is just good on his own merit.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.