We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

They lucked out in that NE game big time.

No doubt the Pats score there if Stevenson doesn't fumble 

True, but the Pats lucked out to be in that position, much like the Miami game last week, we gifted them way too much. They had one legitimate scoring drive.

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

From eyeball test I think both have been equally underwhelming applying pressure. Really the whole defensive line  after we lost Miller. Hoping we rush 3 a good amount this week. 

I would rush 3 as often as possible.  Burrow takes coverage sacks and with our oline 3 is all you may need.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I watched the entire Cincy/Tampa game and the Bucs were blowing the Bengal's off the field for almost the entire FIRST HALF.  They led 17 - 3 at half and had outplayed the Bengals in every way.  Then in the 3rd quarter things got really weird.  On their first possession TB tried a fake punt on 4th and 1 from their own 30 yard line.  It might have worked but the guy who was supposed to get the direct snap missed the call and wasn't aware that a fake was on.  So the Bengals got the ball at the Bucs 25 yard line and kicked a FG.  After that debacle TB tuned the ball over on FOUR straight possessions!  Four straight!

And I can't believe you think the Bengal's played well against NE and in their last 2 games against Baltimore. I talk to a lot of Bengal fans and none of them thought the Bengals played well in those games.  In fact they were a lot like Bills fans - glad they won but uneasy on how they won.

LMAO...maybe it was a mole planted by the Bengals as it was former Bengal Gio Bernard that screwed it up.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Thompson has some mobility...he made some nice plays to move around and get out of pressure...a lot of times it led to off target throws, but it could have been a lot worse if he stayed in the pocket.

The Bills are probably the best team in the NFL at getting "almost sacks" but allowing the QB to make a play still.  Like, they are all around the QB, getting hands on them, diving and missing, getting shrugged off while trying to make the tackle, etc and then the QB either gets out of the pocket and runs or makes a play throwing the ball...goes back years now.  I've never seen anything quite like it  and watching other games pretty frequently, it seems to be a problem that happens far more often to the Bills than other teams.

I don't know why it happens so much, but it does. You'll be watching the play and be like "how did the QB escape from that"?? Bills turn more sure fire sacks into positive plays for the opposition than I've ever seen.

I know the feeling, we have good pressure rates and no sacks, it is painful at times.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Thompson has some mobility...he made some nice plays to move around and get out of pressure...a lot of times it led to off target throws, but it could have been a lot worse if he stayed in the pocket.

The Bills are probably the best team in the NFL at getting "almost sacks" but allowing the QB to make a play still.  Like, they are all around the QB, getting hands on them, diving and missing, getting shrugged off while trying to make the tackle, etc and then the QB either gets out of the pocket and runs or makes a play throwing the ball...goes back years now.  I've never seen anything quite like it  and watching other games pretty frequently, it seems to be a problem that happens far more often to the Bills than other teams.

I don't know why it happens so much, but it does. You'll be watching the play and be like "how did the QB escape from that"?? Bills turn more sure fire sacks into positive plays for the opposition than I've ever seen.

This is true...what is funny is, the other great team at doing this is the Bengals. Crazy high pressure rate and low sack rate. 

• Like (+1) 2

Man, I am getting Josh v Seahawks vibes right now, like out of nowhere.

It could just be the hangries speaking to me, but I hope it's not.  The neighborhood of 4 TDs passing and 400 yards is a thought that is difficult to remove from my head right now.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Caesar said:

True, but the Pats lucked out to be in that position, much like the Miami game last week, we gifted them way too much. They had one legitimate scoring drive.

I would rush 3 as often as possible.  Burrow takes coverage sacks and with our oline 3 is all you may need.

Trust me, the Bills simply can't get home with 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Actually, the Bills utterly dominated their o-line. The Dolphins averaged a measly 3.3 yards per play (2.1 yards per rushing play; 3.86 yards per passing play) and gave up four sacks along with a large number of pressures.

When you factor out points resulting from advantageous turnover-based and special teams-based field position as well as the defensive TD, the Bills defense gave up 15 points. 

As the game headed into the 4th quarter it was only 2.6 Yards per Play. Miami's lone long drive of the day was the 4th quarter TD drive to bring it within 34-31 and it helped their average quite a bit.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

The win over Mahomes was in October, months ago, clearly this is a very different bills team since then

Cincy has been playing very well the last month, month in a half, they beat Mahomes too and not sure why you brought up the Tampa game, yeah they trailed for a little bit but they steamrolled them in the second half!

Yes it is my opinion they would've won the monday night game, they probably feel the same. They were playing fantastic football for a month, drove easily right down the field for an easy touchdown and were driving again before the very sad unfortunate injury to Hamlin

Wow...that's funny.  We have a Bengals fan who watches every game saying they HAVEN'T played well in a month.  But I guess you know more even tho you never have watched any of their games most likely? You and AirTroll should hang out at the Bills game and talk about how bad the Bills are and how they are going to lose every game.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why do you think the Bills should have lost to NE? They should have scored 42 points if not for a ridiculous drop by Davis, and don't say the TD returns. Those were totally legit football plays and not flukes. Hines blew past everyone and shook tackles, making two great football plays. Kickoff returns are part of the game and count as real plays -- not flukes.

Think he was talking about the Bengals.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why do you think the Bills should have lost to NE? They should have scored 42 points if not for a ridiculous drop by Davis, and don't say the TD returns. Those were totally legit football plays and not flukes. Hines blew past everyone and shook tackles, making two great football plays. Kickoff returns are part of the game and count as real plays -- not flukes.

I think he meant Cincy should have lost to the Pats.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...that's funny.  We have a Bengals fan who watches every game saying they HAVEN'T played well in a month.  But I guess you know more even tho you never have watched any of their games most likely? You and AirTroll should hang out at the Bills game and talk about how bad the Bills are and how they are going to lose every game.

Think he was talking about the Bengals.

yep, and duly deleted!

3 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Has anyone mentioned the weather yet? My Accuweather is saying Snow all Day in Orchard Park? For you local weather watchers does it seem like

you may get enough to make it interesting?

There is a separate weather thread on the forum somewhere, but here is the latest from NOAA/NWS for OP

Sunday

A chance of snow showers before 1pm, then rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 37. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

There is a separate weather thread on the forum somewhere, but here is the latest from NOAA/NWS for OP

Sunday

A chance of snow showers before 1pm, then rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 37. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Yuck. Rain snow mix is the absolute worst.

35 minutes ago, Caesar said:

You had brought up your ideas to beat the Bengals and I responded. Thought you may have more to add.

I am concerned about pressure vs our replacement oline.  But Miami had a beat up oline as well how was the pressure vs them?

i don't think the bills will try to tee up pressure. there is too much room for error there. burrow is hot or cold and thats not just from game to game. the entire bengals offense can lull themselves into a regressive state. i do not believe this is anything special - just their mindset. it's sentiment echoed through the team. 

because of this i could see them being up 7-14 points on buffalo through the first half to come out cold and comfortable in the 2nd.

where i am going with this Re: the OL.... i do not know the Bengals OL right now. NO ONE DOES. but what i do know is the Bills defense. I do know that Frazier has taken more liberty with his gameplan then other seasons. i know that he has dialed in new wrinkles and looked to expose flaws of QB's.

So, while i cannot look at the Bengals OL because it is a complete wildcard - so much that i am not putting it as a factor for the outcome of the game - i am looking at Burrow. burrow is going to be gameplanned like early Tua. A stoic big pocket QB who makes mistakes when properly attacked but can just as soon sting you.  the pressure to get on him is going to be minimalized which is a buffalo forte.

the Bills didn't attack the fins ol - they attacked the qb who was not Tua or Burrow. he was a rookie who had a respectable showing and impressed me. the bills should go into this game with the plan to control and regulate burrow and his 2.2 seconds per dropback. they should play the gameplan they did against another QB successfully (brady) who had the same abilities...collapse the pocket with hands up to disrupt Burow.

do this and jam his wr's. blitz and spy on any backfield setup because perine is going to be there blocking. mixon won't be a good blocker short of just chops.

the bills can win the battle on the trenches. offense gets you to the playoffs. time clock management and running gets you to the championship. defense wins you championships.

so while i walked around your question - i can directly answer it that the bills were hurting on defense with jordan phillips out and also appeared very lackluster. neither team was aggressive on the line. the bills line against miami was set to stop the run and let the rest of the defense take care of the pass. it is apples and oranges.

josh allen has the potential for 500 yards offense this weekend.

edit...i wrote this with several interruptions so it is likely fragmented

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Sunday

8 minutes ago, Process said:

Yuck. Rain snow mix is the absolute worst.

• Haha (+1) 1