100 greatest films all time according to Time

Pete

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Fine List, especially for Time. Light, heavy, foreign and domestic.

Great call on M, check out another Fritz Lang gem, Metropolis

Alexander Nevsky for the climatic battle scence.

Umberto D will rip your heart out (Thumbnail: Old pensioner in postWWII Italy becomes dispirited his only companion a small very loyal dog. Pensioner decides to kill himself and trys to shoo the dog away furiously. Does do it or not? Rent the film! Sounds sachrine, but it is compelling. Not, Not Not a date movie)

The Bicycle Theif - Also excellent.

I love the 7 Samuri (sp?), but Yojimbo holds up better.

As for Nemo its sop to kids

A Fine List, especially for Time.  Light, heavy, foreign and domestic.

Great call on M, check out another Fritz Lang gem,  Metropolis

Alexander Nevsky for the climatic battle scence.

Umberto D will rip your heart out  (Thumbnail:  Old pensioner in postWWII Italy  becomes dispirited his only companion a small very loyal dog.  Pensioner decides to kill himself and trys to shoo the dog away furiously.  Does do it or not? Rent the film!  Sounds sachrine, but it is compelling.  Not, Not Not a date movie)

The Bicycle Theif - Also excellent.

I love the  7 Samuri (sp?), but Yojimbo holds up better. 

As for Nemo its sop to kids

342920[/snapback]

Yeah, I prefer Metropolis to M (though both are excellent), though I may prefer Lang's Fury to both (the film that ended up launching Spencer Tracy into the limelight).

As for Nemo, it looks like they were trying to find a contemperary animated movie to put on the list...if this is the case there are way better choices out there imo, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Toy Story 1 & 2 (I prefer 2)...Nemo is a limp fish imo...not bad, but not great either.

If you don't like the list, find another one.  Here is the list from AFI, which was discussed here sometime in the last 3 years.  It seems a little better quality wise.

AFI all time list

342948[/snapback]

Much better, 5 Spielbergs. :w00t:

Quite interesting that the one list has Finding Nemo. If any animated film was to make the list, what do you think it should be? I think I'd say that The Lion King is the best animated film.

i've seen 51 of 'em, but i have some serious disagreements. for one, how could anyone say that miller's crossing - a good but fairly derivative film - is better than the coen's magnum opus, the big lebowski?

343016[/snapback]

or Barton Fink for that matter...

The ones i would have liked to see on that list

1. Ben Hur

2. An Officer and a Gentleman

3. A Bridge on the River Kwai

4. Guns of Navarone

5. Aliens

342560[/snapback]

Good list. I would also include

1.CINEMA PARADISO

2.FARGO

3.THE LAVENDER HILL MOB

3.OLIVER TWIST

Where are Falling Down; Planes, Trains and Automobiles; Nobody's Fool (Paul Newman); Cool Hand Luke; The Hustler; The Outlaw Josie Wales; One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; A Clockwork Orange; Fatal Attraction; and ANY of the Dirty Harry Movies?

I've seen 40 of them. I can't believe they have Finding Nemo, that was one of the weaker recent animated movies. The Lion King, Monsters Inc., Toy Story, Beauty and the Beast, the Little Mermaid, and Tarzan were all better.