100 greatest films all time according to Time

Pete

Why is the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Godfather series taken as one movie, but Star Wars not?  When a movie is designed to be part of a sequence, it would seem that affects how each individual movie should be viewed.  I agree with grouping movies, when they are designed that way.  Star Wars' legacy should hinge on the total package, not just Episode IV.

342516[/snapback]

Even better, why Godfather I & II but not III?

If I was to pick The Fly, it would be Vincent Price (195?), not Jeff Goldlum (1986)! :doh:

LOTR was one story, one quest - designed to be released as three installments of one film.

Star Wars, at the time it was filmed, was meant to be standalone.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, while The Good, The Bad and the Ugly made it, the two preceding movies in the "Man With No Name" trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, and For a Few Dollars More) didn't.

I was also surprised to see Yojimbo on the list, but not Seven Samarai.

CW

342519[/snapback]

Not to seem skeptical, but I wonder if they were "influenced" in their selections in favor of those that the Time-Warner behemoth *may* have a, how shall I say it, a financial interest in promoting? :doh:

Even better, why Godfather I & II but not III?

342532[/snapback]

Because III sucked ass. Well, it didn't really, but compared to the first two (a high standard, to be sure) it did.

Star Wars, at the time it was filmed, was meant to be standalone.

Not true -- Lucas had the entire story (including the prequels) pretty much already written and/or conceptualized by the time Star Wars was filmed. He knew that in order to do the entire story justice he'd have to do it in installments -- but what he DIDN'T know was whether there would be a market for the rest of the story. I mean, if SW had bombed in 1977, it WOULD have been a standalone. Happily for geeks and nerds everywhere, it didn't bomb. :doh:

You've said this in five seperate posts. Isn't the point made?

342555[/snapback]

Maybe we could combine the "THREE" threads and I would remove the other two posts that say it sucks. Of course I am sure you only responded to one of the three thread yourself, I am sure, since you now are taking on the Jp-era type mod duties of policing things that you don't like.

Not true -- Lucas had the entire story (including the prequels) pretty much already written and/or conceptualized by the time Star Wars was filmed.  He knew that in order to do the entire story justice he'd have to do it in installments -- but what he DIDN'T know was whether there would be a market for the rest of the story.  I mean, if SW had bombed in 1977, it WOULD have been a standalone.  Happily for geeks and nerds everywhere, it didn't bomb.  :w00t:

342549[/snapback]

Lucas did NOT have the entire story written back in 1977. According the Gary Kurtz (produced of SW and TESB), there was never any plan for a second Death Star in ROTJ and Luke's sister wasn't going to be Leia either. But Lucas decided to wrap things up nicely with ROTJ. I'm not convinced he knew what he meant by "Clone Wars" when he referenced them in the first movie either. There could be a lot of names for the war being fought in Episodes II and III but "Clone Wars" doesn't seem like one of them (why not Droid Wars or Civil War or whatever?).

And if Lucas had had Jar Jar Binks in mind for 30 years, I don't know how he could have made it this long without killing himself. The voice alone........

And if Lucas had had Jar Jar Binks in mind for 30 years, I don't know how he could have made it this long without killing himself.  The voice alone........

342573[/snapback]

It must have been drugs, and yet there is another reason to ban drugs. :w00t:

You sure?  I recall it said Episode IV as part of its opening scroll ...

342588[/snapback]

Nope. In 1977, there was no "Episode IV" as part of the opening scroll. They added it in there for the 1978 re-release.

(Re-releasing huge hit films was more prevalent back then due to less outlets for people to see films. No VCRs or cable channels. Star Wars was re-released several times.)

Nope.  In 1977, there was no "Episode IV" as part of the opening scroll.  They added it in there for the 1978 re-release.

(Re-releasing huge hit films was more prevalent back then due to less outlets for people to see films.  No VCRs or cable channels.  Star Wars was re-released several times.)

342611[/snapback]

So I might not have seen the movie when I was 2? Hmm... I know my dad took me to the theater because I remember the Darth Vader cutout in the lobby (that's about all I remember). Always assumed it was in '77, but maybe it wasn't. I'll have to call him and see if he remembers. :w00t:

CW

So I might not have seen the movie when I was 2?  Hmm...  I know my dad took me to the theater because I remember the Darth Vader cutout in the lobby (that's about all I remember).  Always assumed it was in '77, but maybe it wasn't.  I'll have to call him and see if he remembers. :w00t:

CW

342631[/snapback]

Probably. I remember seeing ROTJ in the theatre (Rancor scared the hell out of me) but I was only 2 in 1983. However, it was re-released in 1985 so I can see my dad taking me to the movies as a 4 year old to check it out.

Probably.  I remember seeing ROTJ in the theatre (Rancor scared the hell out of me) but I was only 2 in 1983.  However, it was re-released in 1985 so I can see my dad taking me to the movies as a 4 year old to check it out.

342635[/snapback]

I remember going to the theater and seeing Empire. My mom had to take me out b/c of the that damn snowbeast. Scared the crap out of me. I was five.

Also, while The Good, The Bad and the Ugly made it, the two preceding movies in the "Man With No Name" trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, and For a Few Dollars More) didn't.

342542[/snapback]

Well, that might have something to do with A Fistful of Dollars being a remake of Yojimbo, which is a far superior film Imo (then again, I'm of the opinion that Kurosawa can do little wrong).

Also, I notice they've included a few TV series on the list, the Decologue (which is a fantatic 10 part series by Kieslowski) and The Singing Detective. I guess I'm a purest when I say that I don't think these should even qualify.

They've also messed up the translation of the title of one of the greatest silent films ever made, "Man With the Movie Camera" and called it "Man with the Camera".

I was kind of surprised by the films on the list...and I like what they were trying to do, including popular cinema with classics, silents and "art" films. However, even with that intention I have no idea how the hell Finding Nemo makes it on this list. I don't even necessarily like or admire many of the films that they've listed (hell, I downright loathe some of them), but I can see an arguement for most of them....but not Nemo.

I've seen 82 of the films on the list...granted, I have my masters degree in film theory and history.