Anyone else watching other games & daydreaming about how much easier their QB's have it???

Billsfan1972

29 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Did you read his post? Another tired a win is a win is a win.  We all know that.  Maybe you too can remind me of the Bills record, I think I've forgotten it again.

He’s right.  Tonight, a win is a win. Especially against one the the best teams in the nfl.    Who would possibly be upset about a one point win?  No one reasonable. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, folz said:

That is a projection in your own head only. We have a top 5 defense, Stefon Diggs, a top kicker, an excellent punter, decent special teams...even if you think the rest of our team sucks (O-line, WRs, TEs, RBs, etc.), which they don't, to say they would be lucky to get a losing record (8-9) if you swapped a prime Alex Smith for Josh, seems a bit over the top to me. Obviously, they wouldn't be asking Smith to do what Josh does. The offense would be tailored to Smith and look much different. He would be more asked to manage the game. But there is nothing saying that he couldn't get us to 10 wins and a Wild Card playoff loss (like he did with KC the year before Mahomes took over). Hell, Tyrod Taylor got us to the playoffs with a much less-talented team than we have now. Plus, our defense has held 10 teams to 20 points or under, and have only allowed two teams to score more than 25. Are you telling me that Alex Smith (instead of Josh) on this team couldn't score 21 points? The current league average is 21.5 points per game. Do you really think this offense couldn't be at least average with a prime Alex Smith? To think this team falls to a 7-10 record or worse with a solid/competent (not great, but not terrible) QB...no, I'm not buying it.

No question Josh pulls off miraculous plays that Smith never could, but just having a great QB doesn't automatically get you to 12, 13, 14 wins without a solid team around him. Look at the Packers this year. Josh is what makes this team elite, but they are still a good team with a lot of talented players regardless.

I'm not saying there aren't positions that could or will need upgrading (O-line definitely), but this idea that it is all Josh and everyone else on the team sucks is just not rational thinking. Nor that the Bills have ignored offense to draft/bring in defensive talent. Since Beane got here, they have brought in the same number of offensive players as they have defensive players. And, at the end of last year, the offense was humming, with two almost perfect games. Yet, our defense was getting gashed by the run and couldn't get any pressure on opposing QBs. That was a very good reason to focus on improving the defensive line first and foremost in the off season. And it has made a difference (we are 4th vs. the run this year and 11th in sacks---a big improvement). You can't fix everything every off season. And all teams have holes or positions they would like to upgrade, that is not unique to the Bills.

And teams are constructed differently. You can look at a team like Cincy and say, man, they have three great receivers. Why can't we have that many good receivers. But they may have sacrificed upgrading a different area on their team to get the receivers, so we would have an advantage against them in that part of the game. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. And as a GM, you are making a lot of gambles too...not every one pays off, but if enough of them do, then you are right where the Bills are right now.

An average (or only above average) qb and 7-10 would be a stretch.  

8 minutes ago, teef said:

He’s right.  Tonight, a win is a win. Especially against one the the best teams in the nfl.    Who would possibly be upset about a one point win?  No one reasonable. 

Yes thanks again for stating the obvious.  Regardless, I'd like to see a big (& clean) game by the offence.  Think it's important for them.

Btw do you think Cincy is happy with their wins the past few weeks?

Edited by Billsfan1972

10 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again watching TB & seems Brady has all day and receivers running open.  Stidham throwing for 360 vs. SF and Adams making great catches.  Mahomes a ho hum 330 yard game and again a lot of easy passes.  Goff and Prescott too.

Maybe I'm cherry picking, but I seem to see too many great catches & easy throws by QB's, whereas Josh Allen often seems to have to do it all.

Am I being too hypercritical of the Bills offense?

You picked maybe one of only two Tampa games all season where that has been the case. Their oline has been decimated and their offense has been a mess.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You picked maybe one of only two Tampa games all season where that has been the case. Their oline has been decimated and their offense has been a mess.

Brady a statue back there has been sacked only 22 times and hurried the same amount.  A false narrative to protect Tom.  Agree they are not good.

Edited by Billsfan1972

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills would be lucky to win 8 games with someone like prime Alex Smith at helm with the roster and team as currently constructed IMO.

Disagree. If Alex Smith was the QB I think the Bills could scrape to 21 most weeks. 21 points every week this year they'd have 10 wins. 

What the Bills would be with Alex Smith is very one dimensional. But Alex Smith was a good Quarterback. He was smart, knew his own limitations, made very few mistakes and could move better than he ever got credit for.

If the Bills had to play their backup they'd struggle to win 7 games. But Alex Smith was a legit starting QB.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Brady a statue back there has been sacked only 22 times and hurried the same amount.  A false narrative to protect Tom.  Agree they are not good.

Brady also gets it out faster than anyone jn football. The oline this year has been bad. Don't watch the numbers, watch the games. In fairness to Tampa it is largely injury related. I think their oline is decent when everyone is healthy. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Didn't say he wasn't mobile. I said he's not on the same level rushing wise as the other 4 mentioned.

Fields: 1143

Jackson: 764 (and injured)

Hurts: 747

Allen: 746

Mahomes: 329

Fields/Jackson/Hurts are option QBs.

We are talking about Passing QBs who can or cannot avoid pass rush. 

16 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

An average (or only above average) qb and 7-10 would be a stretch.  

Yes thanks again for stating the obvious.  Regardless, I'd like to see a big (& clean) game by the offence.  Think it's important for them.

Btw do you think Cincy is happy with their wins the past few weeks?

Yes.  I think Cincy is happy about their wins the past few weeks.  Very happy.  Without them, they’re not fighting for the one seed  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

Yes.  I think Cincy is happy about their wins the past few weeks.  Very happy.  Without them, they’re not fighting for the one seed  

Bengalsfan1972 probably isn't too happy with the wins though. Burrow only threw for over 300 in two of their last 7 wins. Unacceptable!!

• Haha (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree. If Alex Smith was the QB I think the Bills could scrape to 21 most weeks. 21 points every week this year they'd have 10 wins. 

What the Bills would be with Alex Smith is very one dimensional. But Alex Smith was a good Quarterback. He was smart, knew his own limitations, made very few mistakes and could move better than he ever got credit for.

If the Bills had to play their backup they'd struggle to win 7 games. But Alex Smith was a legit starting QB.

Brady also gets it out faster than anyone jn football. The oline this year has been bad. Don't watch the numbers, watch the games. In fairness to Tampa it is largely injury related. I think their oline is decent when everyone is healthy. 

And the reason Allen has longer is because he is so mobile.  What a circular argument.  Explain so many more attempts, but only 22 sacks and hurries?

6 minutes ago, teef said:

No their fans I'm sure we're beside themselves after the first half vs TB and the NE comeback.  But yes a win is a win is a win.

I'll take one I just want to see the offense clicking tonight. Call me greedy.

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And the reason Allen has longer is because he is so mobile.  What a circular argument.  Explain so many more attempts, but only 22 sacks and hurries?

What has the Bills oline got to do with it? I have long argued that the Bills oline is the biggest flaw on this team.

The reason Bradys has so few sacks and hurries against him is that he gets rid of the ball so fast. He always has. His two elite qualities are his mental processing and his quick release. Including ditching it or throwing it away when nothing is there. 

If you think the Buccs oline has been good this season I don't know what to tell you other than you are totally wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What has the Bills oline got to do with it? I have long argued that the Bills oline is the biggest flaw on this team.

The reason Bradys has so few sacks and hurries against him is that he gets rid of the ball so fast. He always has. His two elite qualities are his mental processing and his quick release. Including ditching it or throwing it away when nothing is there. 

If you think the Buccs oline has been good this season I don't know what to tell you other than you are totally wrong.

I didn't say they were good.  But they aren't as bad as made out to be considering they have to protect the statue.  You don't think the Press has been defending Brady for years now?

An example is the Cincinnati game where Tampa Bay dominated the first half and Brady did Brady things. The second half he was bat. The funny thing is Burrow was not that good but they played the entire half in Tampa Bay's territory.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

I didn't say they were good.  But they aren't as bad as made out to be considering they have to protect the statue.  You don't think the Press has been defending Brady for years now?

Their line play has been bad. 

I don't go in for conpsiracy theories. I don't really care what the media does or doesn't say about Brady. He should have stayed retired. 

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo has had some issues with drops.

The OL is mediocre.

Allen attempts way too many low percentage throws. Many times ignoring the easy yardage/completion in front of him. 

All of these things are true at the same time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I do think that Daboll had an ability to beat that out of Josh that Dorsey and Joe Brady somehow lack.

They just had great chemistry. Guarantee Josh Allen will have been one of the first guys to text Dabes yesterday. 

I think he has a good relationship with Dorsey and he wanted him as his OC once Dabes was gone but I just think it is a different type of relationship and of course this is still year 1. The Joe Brady thing is intriguing. I only get tv pictures obviously but they don't seem to have nuch dialogue compared to when Ken was down on the sideline with him last year. Maybe Josh does talk to him a lot and we just haven't seen it on tv. Would be interested in what folks who go to the stadium see. 

11 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again watching TB & seems Brady has all day and receivers running open.  Stidham throwing for 360 vs. SF and Adams making great catches.  Mahomes a ho hum 330 yard game and again a lot of easy passes.  Goff and Prescott too.

Maybe I'm cherry picking, but I seem to see too many great catches & easy throws by QB's, whereas Josh Allen often seems to have to do it all.

Am I being too hypercritical of the Bills offense?

Josh Allen is NOT Good!!!!!   

The thing is no one asks the same question in the previous few weeks when the same Brady was struggling to win games.  Go Bills !

Edited by ganesh

And another game yesterday where almost every pass had to be on the money.  Any easy pass & catches yesterday?  

The first half Jones had a ton of easy passes. 

Brown did make a decent catch on the TD, I'll give him that (usually expect the ground to jar it loose as he is a Bills receiver, but one a pro should make).

On 1/2/2023 at 4:57 PM, Mango said:

Buffalo has had some issues with drops.

The OL is mediocre.

Allen attempts way too many low percentage throws. Many times ignoring the easy yardage/completion in front of him. 

All of these things are true at the same time. 

Allen has improved on taking stuff underneath. The long balls yesterday were actually a startling relief. 

A lot of those low percentage throws come from him pressing. He’s become a bit of a panic chucker behind an OL I don’t think he trusts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

Allen has improved on taking stuff underneath. The long balls yesterday were actually a startling relief. 

A lot of those low percentage throws come from him pressing. He’s become a bit of a panic chucker behind an OL I don’t think he trusts.

I agree with all of this. I think we are saying something similar, the offense can hum when he hits the long ball. But they are still low percentage, you can't count on it all the time. 

He does hit the underneath stuff a bit. But even that feels clunky, thrown late to a flat footed WR/RB with a defender already in route. 

I would like to see a bit more decisiveness. Hit the 5th step of of the drop and let it go. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I agree with all of this. I think we are saying something similar, the offense can hum when he hits the long ball. But they are still low percentage, you can't count on it all the time. 

He does hit the underneath stuff a bit. But even that feels clunky, thrown late to a flat footed WR/RB with a defender already in route. 

I would like to see a bit more decisiveness. Hit the 5th step of of the drop and let it go. 

I'm talking the wide open  target where there's no one around or easy pass with running room.  Where are those completions.  Usually he's completing in tight windows 

Only open receivers are after 6 seconds and he eluding the defence.

Look at the passes to Shakir, Brown and Diggs yesterday where there was no room for error and they weren't wide open.

26 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm talking the wide open  target where there's no one around or easy pass with running room.  Where are those completions.  Usually he's completing in tight windows 

Only open receivers are after 6 seconds and he eluding the defence.

Look at the passes to Shakir, Brown and Diggs yesterday where there was no room for error and they weren't wide open.

I think the Kurt Warner QB Confidential on Allen help explain a bit of that. I dislike how Warner chimes in with "I was never as talented as Allen" etc. But I do think a lot of his frustrations are similar to mine. Allen is a bit of a cheat code, so start there. But he attempts a lot of hard throws, and ignores a lot of easy ones. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.