Pope Benedict, 95, has died

Just Jack

45 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

RIP.

He's one of the first one's that warned about Facebook and social media and it's destructive pitfalls during social media's infancy. I never made accounts outside of this place (if you consider it social media) thanks to his sage words and warnings. 😏 

He's also the first one (in about 700 years) to quit the job, I assume because he was told by some one or some entity that he had to take one for the team regarding the Catholic priest/boy rape scandal.

There will always be a huge black mark against this guy, and when you consider some of the villains that have been popes over the years, that's saying something.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

He's also the first one (in about 700 years) to quit the job, I assume because he was told by some one or some entity that he had to take one for the team regarding the Catholic priest/boy rape scandal.

There will always be a huge black mark against this guy, and when you consider some of the villains that have been popes over the years, that's saying something.

Agree. AND moving The Church to more tolerance with gays?

First German in 500 years (coincided w/the Reformation?)

But... He was spot on with social media. Blind squirrel finds a nut.  Broken clock right twice a day I suppose...

57 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

He was a fine pope who solidified the legacy of John Paul II. As a person, he was a kind man, intellectual, and he liked cats. 

Those who consider him a villain are welcome to their opinions. That, too, is evidence of character, and I return the compliment.

I don't think he was a villain. Changing times. 

I did agree with previous poster... But in general.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

RIP.

He's one of the first one's that warned about Facebook and social media and it's destructive pitfalls during social media's infancy. I never made accounts outside of this place (if you consider it social media) thanks to his sage words and warnings. 😏 

I’m not a defender of the church, by any means. Like everything else, it is far from perfect. But that is on the money regarding social media. I was not aware he had a position on that, but it’s pretty insightful from an unexpected source.

I suppose I’m technically on Facebook and Instagram, but I wouldn’t know how to go there or what to do with it. I’m currently on vacation and just walked by another family of tourists. All four of them were walking with their phones in front of the faces. All reading or postings something about where they were rather than putting the phone away and soaking in exactly what it was really like to be where they were.

RIP 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I’m not a defender of the church, by any means. Like everything else, it is far from perfect. But that is on the money regarding social media. I was not aware he had a position on that, but it’s pretty insightful from an unexpected source.

I suppose I’m technically on Facebook and Instagram, but I wouldn’t know how to go there or what to do with it. I’m currently on vacation and just walked by another family of tourists. All four of them were walking with their phones in front of the faces. All reading or postings something about where they were rather than putting the phone away and soaking in exactly what it was really like to be where they were.

RIP 

I think his commentary on Facebook was around 2008. I tell people all the time when they ask why I never had a Facebook account: "Ask Pope Benedict." 

(Bad enough getting off this place)

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Why trash the guy in death

Let’s just turn this into a bash Catholics thread then

lmao 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

RIP.

When I was working DoD I had instructions that social media sites were to be avoiding and they were scanning social media sites for posts from employees.  When it was brought it up to personally (as I found out later everyone approached) I told the person that only such site I went to was TBD and they I got my job via a fellow poster on that board ($$).  He brought up site and told me it seemed fine just avoid the political crap (his words) section.

I was raised Roman Catholic and I never understood why popes changed their names like some criminals do for government protection and told so to my teacher and I never understood explanation given.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

When I was working DoD I had instructions that social media sites were to be avoiding and they were scanning social media sites for posts from employees.  When it was brought it up to personally (as I found out later everyone approached) I told the person that only such site I went to was TBD and they I got my job via a fellow poster on that board ($$).  He brought up site and told me it seemed fine just avoid the political crap (his words) section.

I was raised Roman Catholic and I never understood why popes changed their names like some criminals do for government protection and told so to my teacher and I never understood explanation given.  

Did you have a special name for Confirmation? In the Bible, Abram becomes Abraham after spiritual initiation into a new mission. Christ names Simon Peter. Those are just some scriptural precedents. The idea is that one would choose some saint or predecessor whose mission spoke to you as one enters into a deeper sense of vocation. Surely none of that equates to a witness protection program -- consider that identities are more than the modern sense of what it means to be an individual. The person is constituted as much by relations to the other as by an inviolate and incommensurable "substance." As opposed to a kind of buffered, atomized self separate from other equally isolated selves, person is more porous and historically entangled. In that respect, choosing a new name is also recognition that one's actions participate in that of others who have helped frame one's understanding and future hopes.

Edited by Dr. Who

45 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Did you have a special name for Confirmation? In the Bible, Abram becomes Abraham after spiritual initiation into a new mission. Christ names Simon Peter. Those are just some scriptural precedents. The idea is that one would choose some saint or predecessor whose mission spoke to you as one enters into a deeper sense of vocation. Surely none of that equates to a witness protection program -- consider that identities are more than the modern sense of what it means to be an individual. The person is constituted as much by relations to the other as by an inviolate and incommensurable "substance." As opposed to a kind of buffered, atomized self separate from other equally isolated selves, person is more porous and historically entangled. In that respect, choosing a new name is also recognition that one's actions participate in that of others who have helped frame one's understanding and future hopes.

When I was confirmed we did not get additional name and those who did typically got an extra middle name since first and middle name were not suitable.  People were not renamed.  Same when I was made an Eucharistic minister. Maybe times have changed since 80s but I have not been active for many years.

Just now, Limeaid said:

When I was confirmed we did not get additional name and those who did typically got an extra middle name since first and middle name were not suitable.  People were not renamed.  Same when I was made an Eucharistic minister. Maybe times have changed since 80s but I have not been active for many years.

Understood. I was just trying to find a sacramental analogy that might suggest a way to look at it.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Understood. I was just trying to find a sacramental analogy that might suggest a way to look at it.

One of the priests I was most familiar with (not the cardinal I asked question originally when I was ordained who gave me an open window with question "Any Questions?") who would come to many of our family weddings as a guest stated this while sharing a beer "Some who rise very high do not feel comfortable in their own skin as public figures adopt another name as a role they play." Not sure if he meant that as a complement or a criticism. 

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

One of the priests I was most familiar with (not the cardinal I asked question originally when I was ordained who gave me an open window with question "Any Questions?") who would come to many of our family weddings as a guest stated this while sharing a beer "Some who rise very high do not feel comfortable in their own skin as public figures adopt another name as a role they play." Not sure if he meant that as a complement or a criticism. 

Yes, I suppose that is possible. It implies a radical disjunction between an "inner core" and "public ministry." All that is psychologically plausible, though the metaphysics of nature and grace that ought to ground Catholic anthropology should posit greater synergy, imo. Happy New Year.

23 hours ago, Limeaid said:

That point stands without Catholicism

Hence why people in Hollywood have stage names 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

That point stands without Catholicism

Hence why people in Hollywood have stage names 

A lot of people in Hollywood have stage names for studio marketing reasons.

As an example Eric Braeden was a German actor who migrated as a student to US before being discovered.  

His birthname was Hans Gudegast and he mostly played German characters (i.e. The Rat Patrol) so I do not see how giving him an Irish last name helps.

He did not want to change it.

Maybe studios employees have poor literacy but it shows there is not one reason why Hollywood actors change names.

There is some rule about non-name duplication as well but does not apply in this case.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.