Buffalo sets new All-Time seasonal snowfall record thru December!

Big Turk

This needs its own thread as it's a monumental achievement as records go back to 1878 here.

With the 6.2" recorded today at the airport thru 10am, Buffalo has set the all-time record for most snowfall in a season thru December with 98.9", breaking the 95.9" previous record set in 2000.

Almost a foregone conclusion this will be the first time ever Buffalo records 100+" of snow by the end of December(a given based on the previous record being 95.9"). Still lightly snowing and expecting 3-5" more tonight and 1-3" tomorrow.

It's been a hell of a winter already...now Buffalo sets it's eyes on becoming the first city with 100K+ population to ever get 200" in a season in the US. Buffalo also hols that record of 199.2" in the infamous 1976-77 season(blizzard of 77).

As a sidenote, 2000 saw the 2nd highest seasonal snowfall ever of 158.7".

Edited by Big Turk

47 minutes ago, boater said:

The rest of the winter will be mild.

Google "Positive Affirmations"

Mild means MORE SNOW. Lots of snow!

Only one speed BFLo needs:

Deep freeze starting in late November and thaw in March.

Only way to shut off  the snow machine...  And moving the city to where Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, or Green Bay is located alee of the Lakes ain't an option.

I asked this question in another thread (and I honestly don't know)  does anyone have any stats about what will happen with allll the water from melted snow and ice.........This reads like an @ExiledInIllinois question 🙂

send it all to california we Need the water  😏

Edited by muppy

2 hours ago, muppy said:

I asked this question in another thread (and I honestly don't know)  does anyone have any stats about what will happen with allll the water from melted snow and ice.........This reads like an @ExiledInIllinois question 🙂

send it all to california we Need the water  😏

BFLo is in an exorheic region. 

Melted snow, water runoff goes into the ground water table (like rain) and drains, stays in basin depending on which continental water divide dictates the flow.  Here's a graphical representation.  Each line is a continental divide. Water will drain to each side of it.  BFLo is near the St.Lawrence Divide. PINK line. Everything on the BFLo side will drain to Great Lakes, St.Lawrence, then Atlantic. Everything on other side will drain straight towards Atlantic, Eastern Seaboard.  Everything between the PINK/ORANGE/GREEN/RED divide will go to Gulf of Mexico. 

And so on with other divides draining to Pacific, Arctic, etc...

The Great Basin in Nevada, Oregon, California, Arizona, Utah, and smidgen of Idaho/Wyoming is an endorheic basin, having no outlet... Basically closed. 

"Endorheic: A drainage basin that normally retains water and allows no outflow to other external bodies of water, such as rivers or oceans, but drainage converges instead into lakes or swamps, permanent or seasonal, that equilibrate through evaporation.

They are also called closed or terminal basins, internal drainage systems, or simply basins. Endorheic regions contrast with exorheic regions."

NorthAmericaWaterDivides_WEB.thumb.jpg.1af0b108103219a5d734c9bb0e895994.jpg

ENJOY! [ @BringBackFergy @Mike in Horseheads @Gugny @Beerball et al! 😏]

Sorry for the quick Wiki graph.  Just makes it easier and quick.

You can see the up and down elevation issues posed with getting water from the East to the West...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

BFLo is in an exhoreic region. 

Melted snow, water runoff goes into the ground water table (like rain) and drains, stays in basin depending on which continental water divide dictates the flow.  Here's a graphical representation.  Each line is a continental divide. Water will drain to each side of it.  BFLo is near the St.Lawrence Divide. PINK line. Everything on the BFLo side will drain to Great Lakes, St.Lawrence, then Atlantic. Everything on other side will drain straight towards Atlantic, Eastern Seaboard.  Everything between the PINK/ORANGE/GREEN/RED divide will go to Gulf of Mexico. 

And so on with other divides draining to Pacific, Arctic, etc...

The Great Basin in Nevada, Oregon, California, Arizona, Utah, and smidgen of Wyoming is an endorheic basin, having no outlet... Basically closed. 

"Endorheic: A drainage basin that normally retains water and allows no outflow to other external bodies of water, such as rivers or oceans, but drainage converges instead into lakes or swamps, permanent or seasonal, that equilibrate through evaporation.

They are also called closed or terminal basins, internal drainage systems, or simply basins. Endorheic regions contrast with exorheic regions."

NorthAmericaWaterDivides_WEB.thumb.jpg.1af0b108103219a5d734c9bb0e895994.jpg

ENJOY! [ @BringBackFergy @Mike in Horseheads @Gugny @Beerball et al! 😏]

Sorry for the quick Wiki graph.  Just makes it easier and quick.

so I guess cali gets water zilcho. .....😏

seriously though I learned something new today Gracias hermano

In the short term I really just hope it melts slowly so it doesn't cause undue flooding

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

so I guess cali gets water zilcho. .....😏

seriously though I learned something new today Gracias hermano

In the short term I really just hope it melts slowly so it doesn't cause undue flooding

Makes you wonder when people will realize that moving to places with very limited water isn't a smart decision.  Thinking it will come to a head in the next 50 years.

101.6" here as of yesterday.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Makes you wonder when people will realize that moving to places with very limited water isn't a smart decision.  Thinking it will come to a head in the next 50 years.

101.6" here as of yesterday.

Exactly....OR at least keep populations levels that can be sustainable.

It's NOT about climate change, etc....That's always happening... It's keeping sustainable populations in the problem areas. Way too over-populated on coasts and in the Southwest.  I get, people want to live in areas that have nice weather....BUT there has to be economic checks on these population.  Discourage population growth, people... Put state income taxes, higher cost building codes, etc... for these areas.  If we don't we are just repeating same cycle.  The taxpayers who subsidize this will just want a return... That comes mostly in the form of industry and economic product. IMO, tourism is not self-sustaining. 

19 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Only way to shut off  the snow machine...  And moving the city to where Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, or Green Bay is located alee of the Lakes ain't an option.

What Buffalo needs is the plan I developed in the 1980s as a teenager.

Operation Drain Lake Erie.

Turn that mofo into a parking lot.

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What Buffalo needs is the plan I developed in the 1980s as a teenager.

Operation Drain Lake Erie.

Turn that mofo into a parking lot.

In 10,000 years when Niagara Falls finally erodes to the mouth of Lake Erie 8 miles upstream on the Niagara River from where the present day Falls is...

...Lake Huron and Michigan will also drop 150 feet. We can just use Lake Ontario as the swimming hole. 😉😜 

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Well, maybe...but one of the coldest winters we ever had here in 1976-77 is the one that produced the most snow. 199.2", almost 35" more than second place.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Well, maybe...but one of the coldest winters we ever had here in 1976-77 is the one that produced the most snow. 199.2", almost 35" more than second place.

Was it measured accurately?  The Blizzard had it blowing off the frozen Lake. The Lake froze over that year in mid-Decemeber... 

But.... Had to come from some where? The 1970s... When we were actually worried about "Global Cooling."

Ever read about the "Lost Squadron?" 5 P-38s & 2 B-17s that ditched on Greenland 🇬🇱  during WWII, 1942. By the time they located them in the early 1990s they were under +30 feet of ice. 1992 first one recovered from ice.

Just wait,  Greenland is now melting. 

https://lost-squadron.org/wp/en/

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Was it measured accurately?  The Blizzard had it blowing off the frozen Lake. The Lake froze over that year in mid-Decemeber... 

But.... Had to come from some where? The 1970s... When we were actually worried about "Global Cooling."

Ever read about the "Lost Squadron?" 5 P-38s & 2 B-17s that ditched on Greenland 🇬🇱  during WWII, 1942. By the time they located them in the early 1990s they were under +30 feet of ice. 1992 first one recovered from ice.

Just wait,  Greenland is now melting. 

They only measured 12" from that blizzard. More than 150" of snow had already fallen prior to that...that's why there was so much snow on the lake to begin with. It snowed for over 50 days straight.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They only measured 12" from that blizzard. More than 150" of snow had already fallen prior to that...that's why there was so much snow on the lake to begin with. It snowed for over 50 days straight.

Bad year for "system snow." I THINK that was the year of 82" for the all time season record in Chicago. Or it might have been 1978? We came close a few years ago AND these babies here were throwing a conniption. 😆... We had 9 straight days of plowable snow in February that year and guys at work were coming to blows.🙄 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bad year for "system snow." I THINK that was the year of 82" for the all time season record in Chicago. Or it might have been 1978? We came close a few years ago AND these babies here were throwing a conniption. 😆... We had 9 straight days of plowable snow in February that year and guys at work were coming to blows.🙄 

Kinda like out County Executive and the Mayor of Buffalo,and Amherst town supervisor. 

https://www.audacy.com/wben/news/local/poloncarz-attacks-buffalo-mayor-in-aftermath-of-blizzard

Don't have a link for this, but County Executive Poloncarz was on a Zoom meeting with town supervisors. Poloncarz mentioned the 150-plus cars that were towed to the ECC North Campus lot in Amherst. Poloncarz said he would give an order for owners of those cars to come and get them immediately. The Amherst town supervisor strongly objected, saying they needed to take pictures of each car for insurance purposes. Poloncarz told the supervisor that ECC is County owned property and people could start coming to get them immediately. The Amherst Town Supervisor got pissed, cursed out Poloncarz, and left the Zoom meeting abruptly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Kinda like out County Executive and the Mayor of Buffalo,and Amherst town supervisor. 

https://www.audacy.com/wben/news/local/poloncarz-attacks-buffalo-mayor-in-aftermath-of-blizzard

Don't have a link for this, but County Executive Poloncarz was on a Zoom meeting with town supervisors. Poloncarz mentioned the 150-plus cars that were towed to the ECC North Campus lot in Amherst. Poloncarz said he would give an order for owners of those cars to come and get them immediately. The Amherst town supervisor strongly objected, saying they needed to take pictures of each car for insurance purposes. Poloncarz told the supervisor that ECC is County owned property and people could start coming to get them immediately. The Amherst Town Supervisor got pissed, cursed out Poloncarz, and left the Zoom meeting abruptly. 

My wife went to school, same class as Poloncarz in Lackawanna.  He's right, come get your vehicle.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My wife went to school, same class as Poloncarz in Lackawanna.  He's right, come get your vehicle.

Poloncarz apparently is disjointed over the preparedness and devastation in the city.

Mother Nature laid a blizzard beat down on Buffalo beyond any in probably a century. 

It’s fair to say it could have been much worse had many roadways not been off limits.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Poloncarz apparently is disjointed over the preparedness and devastation in the city.

Mother Nature laid a blizzard beat down on Buffalo beyond any in probably a century. 

It’s fair to say it could have been much worse had many roadways not been off limits.

BFLo is mostly on street parking too.

4 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

They admit it's a bad photoshopped pic

That was my first thought also...looks like either the Sierra Nevada Mountains or places in Japan where a city the size of Buffalo, Aomori City, averages 312" of snow a year and a city of nearly 2 million, Sapporro, averages 235" of snow a year...

Ocean Effect snow and nearby mountains it travels over are the world's top snow producing phenomenon apparently.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That was my first thought also...looks like either the Sierra Nevada Mountains or places in Japan where a city the size of Buffalo, Aomori City, averages 312" of snow a year and a city of nearly 2 million, Sapporro, averages 235" of snow a year...

Ocean Effect snow and nearby mountains it travels over are the world's top snow producing phenomenon apparently.

Yeah. My thoughts at first too... But coming from the police....You'd think they wouldn't do this stuff. They aren't helping the trust factor. 

Crazy... But almost plausible.  Why social media is an issue. Problematic when the police do this stuff. They are their own worst enemy. 

/StickInTheMudInIllinois.

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah. My thoughts at first too... But coming from the police....You'd think they wouldn't do this stuff. They aren't helping the trust factor. 

Crazy... But almost plausible.  Why social media is an issue. Problematic when the police do this stuff. They are their own worst enemy. 

/StickInTheMudInIllinois.

They are known for posting things they consider funny on their Twitter account, and to be honest, most of the time it is pretty funny...

After the Bills got back from Detroit(the first game against Cleveland that had to be moved due to the snow) and Squirrel Winters became a legend, they posted something like "Just as a reminder...there is a still a driving ban in West Seneca for everyone.  Except Squirrel Winters"

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

They are known for posting things they consider funny on their Twitter account, and to be honest, most of the time it is pretty funny...

After the Bills got back from Detroit(the first game against Cleveland that had to be moved due to the snow) and Squirrel Winters became a legend, they posted something like "Just as a reminder...there is a still a driving ban in West Seneca for everyone.  Except Squirrel Winters"

I don't have a Twitter or FB account. Never have. 

It just makes people mistrust them even more.  Oh well... 

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

They admit it's a bad photoshopped pic

I had a friend who for real, thought this was a legitimate picture and argued with those who said it was photoshopped. It wasn't until this was posted that she took an about face.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.