Buffalo sets new All-Time seasonal snowfall record thru December!

Big Turk

10 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I had a friend who for real, thought this was a legitimate picture and argued with those who said it was photoshopped. It wasn't until this was posted that she took an about face.

At first it looked fake... But I thought it can't be, the police are posting it. I was duped.

No wonder people can't take them seriously.

For real. Law Enforcement should NOT really shouldn't wait days to say it was FakeNews. It's plausible and a very good Photoshop. People out of town don't know if it's Japan (the real place the snow was shot in) or the horror they hear from Buffalo.

6' of snow drifted and cut & blown with a rotary machine could be that high.

I mean really... 

I hope it spread and many people don't get the correction. It's your government spreading FakeNews. They really shouldn't be in the comedy business if they want the citizenry to trust them, not be cynical of everything they do.

Maybe I need to lighten up, but that's a PR fail. From the cops?  Really.  Outsiders don't know that's fake. Yeah,  more you think about it... Looks unreal... But that seal up at the corner should make you think that your local law enforcement isn't pranking you.

Can I prank them with a DUI? How many people actually missed the punchline.

Indictments make front pages, acquittal the back page.

/JustSayingItWillBeMeltedInADay.

The snowiest city on earth gets around 300" a year. That's where the photo was shot.  BFLo is 33% there and it's not even the end of December!

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

At first it looked fake... But I thought it can't be, the police are posting it. I was duped.

No wonder people can't take them seriously.

For real. Law Enforcement should NOT really shouldn't wait days to say it was FakeNews. It's plausible and a very good Photoshop. People out of town don't know if it's Japan (the real place the snow was shot in) or the horror they hear from Buffalo.

6' of snow drifted and cut & blown with a rotary machine could be that high.

I mean really... 

I hope it spread and many people don't get the correction. It's your government spreading FakeNews. They really shouldn't be in the comedy business if they want the citizenry to trust them, not be cynical of everything they do.

Maybe I need to lighten up, but that's a PR fail. From the cops?  Really.  Outsiders don't know that's fake. Yeah,  more you think about it... Looks unreal... But that seal up at the corner should make you think that your local law enforcement isn't pranking you.

Can I prank them with a DUI? How many people actually missed the punchline.

Indictments make front pages, acquittal the back page.

/JustSayingItWillBeMeltedInADay.

The snowiest city on earth gets around 300" a year. That's where the photo was shot.  BFLo is 33% there and it's not even the end of December!

The West Seneca Police makes hilarious tweets every day. They're one of the best things on Twitter. When they need to be serious, they are, and people know to take them seriously. But the majority of their tweets are some sort of humor and that's why they are loved here. 

11 minutes ago, Draconator said:

The West Seneca Police makes hilarious tweets every day. They're one of the best things on Twitter. When they need to be serious, they are, and people know to take them seriously. But the majority of their tweets are some sort of humor and that's why they are loved here. 

Yeah.  I was pranked and really shouldn't have. That's a ridiculous amount of snow. 

I wonder how many outsiders will actually never know that they were pranked?

Just not a good look from the outside. IMO. They should be serious more professional.  It took 'em two days to explain it. Has to drive other more professional agencies a bit crazy. 

If they are going to joke... At least spill beans right away. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah.  I was pranked and really shouldn't have. That's a ridiculous amount of snow. 

I wonder how many outsiders will actually never know that they were pranked?

Just not a good look from the outside. IMO. They should be serious more professional.  It took 'em two days to explain it. Has to drive other more professional agencies a bit crazy. 

If they are going to joke... At least spill beans right away. 

They really did to all those who said it was real in replies. But more and more people kept saying it was real, so they had to make the referenced post. Locals know it was a photoshop, and they aren't a national police organization. I see no harm in what they did. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Draconator said:

They really did to all those who said it was real in replies. But more and more people kept saying it was real, so they had to make the referenced post. Locals know it was a photoshop, and they aren't a national police organization. I see no harm in what they did. 

Yeah. Of course you're there. What about outsiders? Not in the middle of natural disaster. Bush League. And I went to WS schools. Grew up there.

You expect cops to be serious especially when you got loved ones there dealing with it and you're worried.

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Um, no.  It was an hour after the original was posted.  The original was at 10:19am, the follow up was at 11:10am. 

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Um, no.  It was an hour after the original was posted.  The original was at 10:19am, the follow up was at 11:10am. 

I am not on main social media. It can spread virally other ways for days. Unreasonable as it is, it's plausible and a very good job at Photoshop even though they say it's a bad Photoshop job. Glad they do something bad!

Still Bush league. The police shouldn't be in the comedy business during a natural disaster. They want people to take them seriously... Stay serious. They go beyond the locals. Since my days there, I still see the department is behaving badly. Back in the day (1980s) my parents got hit by a drunk driver in West Seneca. They were stopped at a light and the drunk rear ended them. The WSPD responded to the accident and arrested the dude... It wasn't until they got him to jail that they frisked and found a gun on the drunk driver! Yikes! That God the guy was out of it and forgot he had the weapon on him... He could have shot at the responding officers or my parents.  Anyway, still sounds they take things seriously there today.

(My parents found out because my uncle was a Cheektowaga cop at time)

If they are going to do the comedy bit on Twitter, do it in an unofficial capacity.

I did grow up there, of all people, I should have known....But the road they used is my may in when we come in. My MiL lives there alone. Yeah,  I took it seriously when I saw no exit for the 400. They pranked me.

Great, the police pranked me...

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am not on main social media. It can spread virally other ways for days. Unreasonable as it is, it's plausible and a very good job at Photoshop even though they say it's a bad Photoshop job. Glad they do something bad!

Still Bush league. The police shouldn't be in the comedy business during a natural disaster. They want people to take them seriously... Stay serious. They go beyond the locals. Since my days there, I still see the department is behaving badly. Back in the day (1980s) my parents got hit by a drunk driver in West Seneca. They were stopped at a light and the drunk rear ended them. The WSPD responded to the accident and arrested the dude... It wasn't until they got him to jail that they frisked and found a gun on the drunk driver! Yikes! That God the guy was out of it and forgot he had the weapon on him... He could have shot at the responding officers or my parents.  Anyway, still sounds they take things seriously there today.

(My parents found out because my uncle was a Cheektowaga cop at time)

If they are going to do the comedy bit on Twitter, do it in an unofficial capacity.

I did grow up there, of all people, I should have known....But the road they used is my may in when we come in. My MiL lives there alone. Yeah,  I took it seriously when I saw no exit for the 400. They pranked me.

Great, the police pranked me...

So ... I just want to make sure I'm following .... you fell for an obviously photoshopped picture and the police are the bad guys???

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So ... I just want to make sure I'm following .... you fell for an obviously photoshopped picture and the police are the bad guys???

Yup! Exactly.  The government pushing FakeNews. Why is it on me? Should we not trust them? They want us to.

And it wasn't obviously Photoshopped. Pretty good Photoshop.

The only reason... I didn't really scrutinize it. It looked official. Came from an official account. I blindly trusted it.

33 minutes ago, Wacka said:

That background snow picture has appeared many times. I remember being labeled at the 33 with the Welcome to Buffalo sign  that is at the city line (by the cemeteries)on the 33.

It's believable, well done Photoshop. BFLo snowfall is only 75% off the record up in The Keweenaw AND it's not even January:

Snow%20measure_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg?imgmax=8

The arrow is the last year's snowfall.  The bottom mark is lowest year ever, the top, the record [~390"].  Buffalo is a 1/4 way there... Who knows what that looks like plowed or cut blown with a rotary snow removing device?

Yeah... I am the Fool. I think the Pic W.Seneca PD used was from a place in Japan. Boy did I bite on it. Anybody else but the cops. I guess I am not that local anymore. 

My argument is, law enforcement shouldn't be in the comedy biz especially during a natural disaster. Maybe it helps the locals... But outsiders who don't get the inside joke may take it seriously. 

At least create a parody account.  Again, they want everyone to be serious. 

I just don't think it's professional to mix an Official Site with stuff like that on Social Media.

It was pretty well done Photoshop if you're not a local. There's an actual road like that in Japan. They get 300" a year. Snowiest city (as a population density) on earth even know say The Keweenaw in The UP of Michigan may get more... Nobody really lives there. 

It's believable to me because the Photoshop was well done.

14 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's believable, well done Photoshop. BFLo snowfall is only 75% off the record up in The Keweenaw AND it's not even January:

Snow%20measure_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg?imgmax=8

The arrow is the last year's snowfall.  The bottom mark is lowest year ever, the top, the record [~390"].  Buffalo is a 1/4 way there... Who knows what that looks like plowed or cut blown with a rotary snow removing device?

Yeah... I am the Fool. I think the Pic W.Seneca PD used was from a place in Japan. Boy did I bite on it. Anybody else but the cops. I guess I am not that local anymore. 

My argument is, law enforcement shouldn't be in the comedy biz especially during a natural disaster. Maybe it helps the locals... But outsiders who don't get the inside joke may take it seriously. 

At least create a parody account.  Again, they want everyone to be serious. 

I just don't think it's professional to mix an Official Site with stuff like that on Social Media.

It was pretty well done Photoshop if you're not a local. There's an actual road like that in Japan. They get 300" a year. Snowiest city (as a population density) on earth even know say The Keweenaw in The UP of Michigan may get more... Nobody really lives there. 

It's believable to me because the Photoshop was well done.

Hooker New York off the tug hill plateau holds that record for east of the Mississippi

A whopping 466.9 inches was measured in the town of Hooker, a settlement that sat on Montague's southwestern side, during the winter of 1976-77. For those counting, that's almost 39 feet of snow.

https://www.ithacajournal.com/story/news/2019/01/18/winter-snow-how-much-new-york-state-records-tug-hill-plateau-redfield-montague/2604377002/

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Hooker New York off the tug hill plateau holds that record for east of the Mississippi

A whopping 466.9 inches was measured in the town of Hooker, a settlement that sat on Montague's southwestern side, during the winter of 1976-77. For those counting, that's almost 39 feet of snow.

https://www.ithacajournal.com/story/news/2019/01/18/winter-snow-how-much-new-york-state-records-tug-hill-plateau-redfield-montague/2604377002/

Wow! I didn't know it was that much. Nice.

I think as population density goes, Japan snowiest place.  ??

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.