What’s the Coverage? Who’s to blame? Waddle TD

EmotionallyUnstable

I’ve rewatched this a ton of times trying to figure out what the coverage was supposed to be and who you’d hang the TD on.

Set the scene: 

3rd Quarter: 3rd&4 

Dolphins in the gun, trey tight formation (3WRs to one side, TE to the opposite end of LOS).

Defensive Alignment Pre Snap:

Two shell look, with White playing 5-6 yards off of WR1, Taron locked on the slot (Hill) and WR 3 (Waddle) uncovered. 

Dane to the TE side playing a wide outside shade.

Post snap:

WR 1 drags across the field, pulling Edmunds up into the middle button hook. WR2 runs a skinny post, essentially attempting to hold Hamlin deep. WR 3 runs the opposite hash seam.

Tua eyes the crosser on WR 1 and Poyer jumps it, only to let Waddle fly behind him for the TD, exposing what appears to be Hamlin being beat deep.

Ive heard people assigning blame to #3 for this play because he is the one chasing. In my view, this appears to be on Poyer. 

Based on Dane’s initial alignment and drop post-snap, paired with the LBs (including Taron) who seem to be playing deep hook/curl window and White appearing to read WR2 (and calls out the drag) thus explaining his depth in his drop, makes me think this is cover 2.

Am I wrong here? Is this on Hamlin like many think, or is Poyer the one that should be catching heat?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It look like they are in a cover 3 sky post snap… disguised as Tampa 2 look 

poyer is in the deep third but rotated over slowly … they are clearly signaling speed in the middle and for him to get over into his deep third 

If he was playing the deep 3rd, why’d he jump the crosser? He is almost looking like a robber dropped into the hole post-snap…also, Milano’s drop was curious as he races out to hook/curl with no outside threat. Could this potentially be cover 6 to the trips? That’s make the Poyer jump even more egregious if he was playing deep half

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

It looks like they are in a cover 3 look disguised as 2 deep with pattern matching 

and there are obviously communication issues but Hamlin looks to be playing the deep third and does not rotate over 

17 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

If he was playing the deep 3rd, why’d he jump the crosser? He is almost looking like a robber dropped into the whole post-snap…also, Milano’s drop was curious as he races out to hook/curl with no outside threat. Could this potentially be cover 6 to the trips? That’s make the Poyer jump even more egregious if he was playing deep half

I retyped it… I meant it looks like Hamlin is the deep third not poyer

There’s clearly a miscommunication issue because poyer absolutely does not think he’s playing deep third … it looks like Hamlin rotated late

i don’t think it’s cover 6 based on outside corners and safeties … it was just a mess … I think it was a lot of Miscommunication 

Edited by Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It looks like they are in a cover 3 look disguised as 2 deep 

and there are obviously communication issues but Hamlin looks to be playing the deep third and does not rotate over 

I retyped it… I meant it looks like Hamlin is the deep third not poyer

There’s clearly a miscommunication issue because poyer absolutely does not think he’s playing deep third … it looks like Hamlin rotated late

i don’t think it’s cover 6 based on outside corners and safeties 

If it’s 3, who has the other 3rd? Hamlin, White and ? 

Dane is clearly playing outside in while sitting on the flat/out

If I recall correctly it was Cover 1 disguised as Cover 2 pre-snap. Poyer moves down after the snap, and the Dolphins put Hamlin in conflict by sending two deep middle routes.  

Hamlin was to blame, in my opinion, but also not to blame as he was darned if he did and darned if he didn’t. The 2nd deep middle receiver may have been open if Hamlin goes to Waddle.

• Disagree 1

Just now, EmotionallyUnstable said:

If it’s 3, who has the other 3rd? Hamlin, White and ? 

Dane is clearly playing outside in while sitting on the flat/out

Dane can also be squatting on the route since it’s a TE knowing he can’t be beat vertical … There could also be pattern matching which we don’t know

Poyer is not bad enough to play cover 6 like that … when he has half field …It might be cover 4 palms with matching

Honestly the more you watch it looks like a blown coverage 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If I recall correctly it was Cover 1 disguised as Cover 2 pre-snap. Poyer moves down after the snap, and the Dolphins put Hamlin in conflict by sending two deep middle routes.  

Hamlin was to blame, in my opinion, but also not to blame as he was darned if he did and darned if he didn’t. The 2nd deep middle receiver may have been open if Hamlin goes to Waddle.

Certainly doesn’t look like Taron Johnson is playing man 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dane can also be squatting on the route since it’s a TE knowing he can’t be beat vertical … There could also be pattern matching which we don’t know

Poyer is not bad enough to play cover 6 like that … when he has half field …It might be cover 4 palms with matching

Honestly the more you watch it looks like a blown coverage 

It’s so hard to tell what the assignment is. Even if you could figure it out, you’re 100% right: there is so much variation based on down and distance, alignment, personnel, etc. the best you can do is guess. 

It’s still fun to speculate and look at it through a different viewpoint. 

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Im not sure where you get cover one from this. What you’re insinuating regarding a Hamlin bind would be a product over cover 3 zone, but running two vertical seams challenging the middle third defender to lean one way. Cover 1 man would undoubtedly have someone matched up on Waddle, even in off coverage.

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

@EmotionallyUnstable

trips ALWAYS changes the principles of your call … there are always checks in place for trips packages which can exploit defensive coverages 

I think the back end was not in sync with the check for the formation … the linebacker’s  DID know

It’s interesting: You see White clearly point out the drag back into the formation while gaining depth in his drop, Edmunds presnap signaling the seam. It seems well coached, just poorly executed. 

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Was going to post the same thing. Edmunds literally showed Poyer where Waddle's route was going to go and Poyer still messed it up and gave up a td.

Poyer had his eyes on the QB the whole time and didn't seem to watch where the wr was running at all. He was the only guy on the field that didn't match his coverage with the wr entering his zone. Except Hamlin, and he appeared to be playing a deep zone mirroring Hill. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

It’s so hard to tell what the assignment is. Even if you could figure it out, you’re 100% right: there is so much variation based on down and distance, alignment, personnel, etc. the best you can do is guess. 

It’s still fun to speculate and look at it through a different viewpoint. 

Im not sure where you get cover one from this. What you’re insinuating regarding a Hamlin bind would be a product over cover 3 zone, but running two vertical seams challenging the middle third defender to lean one way. Cover 1 man would undoubtedly have someone matched up on Waddle, even in off coverage.

It’s interesting: You see White clearly point out the drag back into the formation while gaining depth in his drop, Edmunds presnap signaling the seam. It seems well coached, just poorly executed. 

Yep … The post play execution is weak 

But we have a very complex coverage scheme and these lapses don’t happen too often

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I posted during the game that it looked like Poyer blew his assignment and should have been deeper. 

That’s possible… but it’s an awfully strange coverage that they’re running with two safeties back… Hamlin is rotating deep… 

if poyer is also it’s a very strange cover 2 … cover 6 is possible But that would be the biggest blown assignment by Poyer ever … An all pro usually doesn’t forget he’s in two deep coverage and play a robber 

unless the players and coaches Tell us … It’s probably a combination coverage with checks that we’re not privy too and a coverage was blown 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

i don’t think it’s cover 6 based on outside corners and safeties … it was just a mess … I think it was a lot of Miscommunication 

Yea communication breakdown rather than someone blowing an assignment I think. I agree they were in a cover 1 look some seemed based on the checks to come out of that and others stayed. 

It is an example of why Micah and Jordan as a pair are greater than the sum of their parts because in 5 years together they have probably had fewer communication breakdowns than we have had in a single season with that pairing broken up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea communication breakdown rather than someone blowing an assignment I think. I agree they were in a cover 1 look some seemed based on the checks to come out of that and others stayed. 

It is an example of why Micah and Jordan as a pair are greater than the sum of their parts because in 5 years together they have probably had fewer communication breakdowns than we have had in a single season with that pairing broken up. 

You would expect in a cover 1 robber or 1 hole that Milano would run with the RB not TE tho … 

It looks like he’s doing a hook to curl 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.