Baldy with a couple of breakdowns of the squishing

JÂy RÛßeÒ

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, I knew Tre was passing the eye test Saturday night.  Every DB gets beat once in a while, especially against a guy like Hill.

Thanks @JÂy RÛßeÒfor posting..good to see ya every game my friend!

BTW, i thought early especially, Miami game planned well , knew all the chatter all week long was Tua would/could not throw outside the hashes , so they rightly guessed, at least i thought, Bills would play inside leverage and force everything outside...which i thought they did. After some good early  success there on Tre,  seemed like he started playing more press and that is the plays Baldy is showing here. But as the coaches like to say to CYA, have to look at tape to be sure that is what actually happened

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I will say on the PI play it looks like diggs was gone if Allen tossed it to him but he was back pedaling on the throw so not gonna hold that against him.

That's one of those where I wish I could see one of those little moving diagrams.  I think Allen had to make his decision and throw before it was clear Diggs was gonna shed his defender like that

• Agree 1

Love the breakdown of Tre's aggressive coverage. That's exactly what you have to do against this offense, as has been demonstrated for 3 weeks in a row now (and to a large extent, in week 3 when the Bills played it similarly). Take away time and space. 

As Greg Cosell and many others, including Baldy, have conceded: this aggressive approach WILL surrender a big play or two over 4 quarters. But, it will also stifle the Dolphins offense often enough to be a net positive approach.

REALLY happy in retrospect that Frazier was an early adopter of this game-plan in the first matchup. Kind of disrupts the narrative that his defense is all passive and vanilla. 

I'm hoping this week to see a similarly proactive rollout of the same defensive game-plan the Bills used against San Fran back in 2020: if memory serves, they employed (often enough to be noticeable to me, a moron) a 5-2 front-7 alignment with Edmunds lined up on the edge and Klein playing MLB. Something akin to a 46 defense makes a lot of sense if the game is played in a blizzard. 

48 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Love the breakdown of Tre's aggressive coverage. That's exactly what you have to do against this offense, as has been demonstrated for 3 weeks in a row now (and to a large extent, in week 3 when the Bills played it similarly). Take away time and space. 

As Greg Cosell and many others, including Baldy, have conceded: this aggressive approach WILL surrender a big play or two over 4 quarters. But, it will also stifle the Dolphins offense often enough to be a net positive approach.

REALLY happy in retrospect that Frazier was an early adopter of this game-plan in the first matchup. Kind of disrupts the narrative that his defense is all passive and vanilla. 

I'm hoping this week to see a similarly proactive rollout of the same defensive game-plan the Bills used against San Fran back in 2020: if memory serves, they employed (often enough to be noticeable to me, a moron) a 5-2 front-7 alignment with Edmunds lined up on the edge and Klein playing MLB. Something akin to a 46 defense makes a lot of sense if the game is played in a blizzard. 

So you might be interested in reading up on some of the stuff written about how the Bills defended the Ravens earlier this season. 

The thing about putting AJ Klein on the field is you're typically taking a faster guy off of it.   In 2020, SF was Milano's first game back from IR and they had him on a snap count I think.  So no alternative.   Typically Milano is one of our best defensive players (esp. with Von Miller hurt) and I don't think it would serve the Bills well to take him off the field.

Interesting question with Justin Fields: where does he usually get his yards?  My impression is he gets to the edge and heads up field, not much up the middle.  I think Montgomery runs between the tackles, though, so it's not as though you can abandon covering the middle of the field.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So you might be interested in reading up on some of the stuff written about how the Bills defended the Ravens earlier this season.

I definitely would. Can you point me in a specific direction?

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Didn't want to start a new thread for this.  Nice film piece from Cover1 breaking down Dawson Knox game against the Dolphins.

Appears you beat me to this topic by a few minutes. Guess I DID want to "start a new thread for this" lol.

Edited by Richard Noggin

8 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I definitely would. Can you point me in a specific direction?

Appears you beat me to this topic by a few minutes. Guess I DID want to "start a new thread for this" lol.

LOL no problem.

I think Cover1 did a post-game analysis on Youtube.  Might have been a good one in TBN; Joe B's postgame mostly talks about how great Milano was but not much about the how and why of what the Bills did. 

I'll keep looking myself, because I seem to recall that Frazier did throw some wrinkles into his normal 4-2-5

The thing that's stood out to me when I've heard opponents talking about Justin Fields is, they all talk about how fast he is, including guys who have played Lamar Jackson regularly.

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.