Diggs caught complaining to McDermott on broadcast

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Where is the amazing part? Rex Ryan was loved by his players too, and if had the benefit of the Bengals putting the Bills in the playoffs with his 9-7 record like McD did, maybe we'd probably be calling him a legend too - especially once he got Josh Allen.

Don't get me wrong, Process McClappy is a nice guy but I'm not sure he's a very good coach, let alone a legend.

Can we stop pretending that McDermott is the only coach that claps during football games lol 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Where is the amazing part? Rex Ryan was loved by his players too, and if had the benefit of the Bengals putting the Bills in the playoffs with his 9-7 record like McD did, maybe we'd probably be calling him a legend too - especially once he got Josh Allen.

Don't get me wrong, Process McClappy is a nice guy but I'm not sure he's a very good coach, let alone a legend.

Not here he wasn't. His Jets players loved him but I have it on good authority he never won over the locker room here. It is second hand info but even when we were 5-2 or 5-3 the second year a respected vet in that locker room said "I'd take Marrone back in a heartbeat. He was an ass but we knew what he wanted. Rex is a clown." 

Slight paraphrasing but words to that effect. 

EDIT: Interestingly that player's theory was that Rex was a relic of the pre-2011 CBA era. His view (and he said widely shared in the locker room) was that Rex essentially tried to install way too much new stuff week to week on defense and that the 2011 CBA restrictions on practice time meant that there was insufficient time to learn it and as a result they were regularly calling stuff they hadn't practiced or had hardly practiced (he mentioned one specific goal line call they ran once in a walk through then called three times in the game that Sunday) and that led to all the confusion and breakdowns. The players told Rex this (and eventually told Pegula too) but Rex refused to change and instead told stories of when he stymied Brady etc. If you look at his career arc there might be something to it. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

McD is neither amazing nor terrible.

He is a fantastic guy to have if you want to improve a teams culture and level of professionalism. A true leader in that respect.

But he has also demonstrated on numerous occasions that he is bordering on being completely clueless and totally out of his depth when it comes to managing critical game day situations - particularly at the end of games.

He is a very likeable guy with great character traits but I am not sure that he is capable of leading this team to a Lombardi. I sincerely hope that I am wrong about this.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/20/2022 at 3:36 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Didn’t have enough targets at that point. He was pissed. Thing or not a thing?

I think some of it is his competitiveness & the other part could be that he was beating his guy & knew that if he was being targeted given the production in the passing game to that point that there could have been more because at 1 point Josh had only 21 yds in the passing game which SUCKED !! 

So i think it's a none thing because if things are working as we saw last season when Diggs targets went down but others stepped up & the production & wins were still there he was all good but when it's not happening some one needs to tell i like it is as long as it is in a leadership type action & not a diva distraction !! 

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Can we stop pretending that McDermott is the only coach that claps during football games lol 

For some reason coaches clapping really bothers fans. Indiana basketball fans hated Tom Crean's clapping. I mean, they really hated it. There were lots of reasons to hate Tom Creans coaching and recruiting, but the clapping is what brought about the most hate.

I don't blame him.  The team opened up with 3 consecutive 3-and-out drives.  They weren't moving the ball or scoring.  I'd be frustrated too knowing you're the team's best chance to win and you're not getting the ball.  It's one thing if the offense was running on all cylinders and he didn't have a target.  

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not here he wasn't. His Jets players loved him but I have it on good authority he never won over the locker room here. It is second hand info but even when we were 5-2 or 5-3 the second year a respected vet in that locker room said "I'd take Marrone back in a heartbeat. He was an ass but we knew what he wanted. Rex is a clown." 

Slight paraphrasing but words to that effect. 

EDIT: Interestingly that player's theory was that Rex was a relic of the pre-2011 CBA era. His view (and he said widely shared in the locker room) was that Rex essentially tried to install way too much new stuff week to week on defense and that the 2011 CBA restrictions on practice time meant that there was insufficient time to learn it and as a result they were regularly calling stuff they hadn't practiced or had hardly practiced (he mentioned one specific goal line call they ran once in a walk through then called three times in the game that Sunday) and that led to all the confusion and breakdowns. The players told Rex this (and eventually told Pegula too) but Rex refused to change and instead told stories of when he stymied Brady etc. If you look at his career arc there might be something to it. 

I remember hearing Dareus say the playbook was too complicated, but I have a feeling he would have thought a coloring book was too complicated. It's definitely a reasonable hypothesis though.

Still, Ryan averaged an 8-8 record while he was here and didn't have the benefit of a top 2 QB and a top 10 WR. McD ended our playoff drought with a 9-7 record while Ryan was only able to claim the first winning season in a decade with the same record. If Both Ryan and Whaley were allowed to stick around one more year and were able to select Mahomes instead of trading out of the pick when QB was a glaring need - I think Ryan's history would be written a lot differently.

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I remember hearing Dareus say the playbook was too complicated, but I have a feeling he would have thought a coloring book was too complicated. It's definitely a reasonable hypothesis though.

Still, Ryan averaged an 8-8 record while he was here and didn't have the benefit of a top 2 QB and a top 10 WR. McD ended our playoff drought with a 9-7 record while Ryan was only able to claim the first winning season in a decade with the same record. If Both Ryan and Whaley were allowed to stick around one more year and were able to select Mahomes instead of trading out of the pick when QB was a glaring need - I think Ryan's history would be written a lot differently.

Ryan did not go 9-7 here. That was Marrone. Rex went 8-8 (and was 6-8 before beating a Dallas team on their 3rd Quarterback of the year and running for the bus and then the Fitz Jets to deny them the playoffs) and then 7-8 where his playoff dreams were dashed by Matt freaking Moore before being fired. 

And the player I quoted was not Dareus fwiw. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Ryan did not go 9-7 here. That was Marrone. Rex went 8-8 (and was 6-8 before beating a Dallas team on their 3rd Quarterback of the year and running for the bus and then the Fitz Jets to deny them the playoffs) and then 7-8 where his playoff dreams were dashed by Matt freaking Moore before being fired. 

And the player I quoted was not Dareus fwiw. 

Fair enough, and I admit I was wrong about that. I'm still not sure a 1 win difference is significant though. Both Rex and McD had identical records over their first two years.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Fair enough, and I admit I was wrong about that. I'm still not sure a 1 win difference is significant though. Both Rex and McD had identical records over their first two years.

Indeed. But only one had made the playoffs, only one had changed the culture and only one had found their Quarterback. Sean McDermott is an infinitely better coach than Rex for this era's NFL IMO. Rex had his day. But it was long since over by the time he arrived here in 2015. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. But only one had made the playoffs, only one had changed the culture and only one had found their Quarterback. Sean McDermott is an infinitely better coach than Rex for this era's NFL IMO. Rex had his day. But it was long since over by the time he arrived here in 2015. 

That's where I'm not so sure. More likelable? Absolutely. Softer hand? Absolutely. Infinitely better? I'm not sure he's infinitely better than anyone.

To me he's the re-incarnation of Marv Levy, and while that's a significant compliment as a man and a leader, it's also an indictment as a coach.

• Disagree 2

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think McD was reminding Diggs that whatever they did right there would be on TV for the next week, so let's be sure we're calm.  Whatever needs to be said can be said behind closed doors.  

I imagine the Head Coach is more focused on the actual encouragement that he said he gave Diggs than what would be on TV

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I imagine the Head Coach is more focused on the actual encouragement that he said he gave Diggs than what would be on TV

Actually, I don't think so.   I mean, yes, he had the right message to encouraged him, but I think the first thing that McDermott was thinking was "we don't want this to get out of control right here."

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty sure Diggs wasn't complaining.  He was frustrated for sure.  heaven forbid the HC sees it, calms one of his captains down and spreads his message.  Diggs visibility took a deep breath and rested his head on his coaches shoulder.  

McD is a great coach.  Glad we have him.  

11 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

McD is neither amazing nor terrible.

He is a fantastic guy to have if you want to improve a teams culture and level of professionalism. A true leader in that respect.

But he has also demonstrated on numerous occasions that he is bordering on being completely clueless and totally out of his depth when it comes to managing critical game day situations - particularly at the end of games.

He is a very likeable guy with great character traits but I am not sure that he is capable of leading this team to a Lombardi. I sincerely hope that I am wrong about this.

I 100% agree with this post, particularly the bolded part.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.