NFL Week 10 - Vikings at Bills post game thread

BuffaloBill

The BIlls desperately, desperately need more offensive plays that don't involve Allen doing something difficult.

It may have been a blessing if Keenum had played this game, forcing Buffalo to run counters, off tackle out of heavy sets, jet sweeps, screens, all the things that teams do to divert pressure from their QBs. Worst that could have happened was a loss, which happened anyway.

Under Daboll, we would also run trick plays to score TDs in the red zone. Maybe a little too much, but Daboll at least understood that the downfield passing attack doesn't work as well when compressed near the red zone.

Meanwhile, even inside the 5 yd line, Dorsey has the Bills just lining up in the shotgun with three wideouts and asking Allen to solve a tough puzzle, over and over.

Edited by Ray Stonada
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

That whole series was astonishing.  2nd and 2.   Why they don’t run the ball at least once kills me.   Run it twice.  Keep the clock moving.  Get your field goal at a minimum.   Could have been up 13 with about 8 minutes to play.  Not ideal but would have taken that all day long at the start of the game. 

The run game was very effective in the 1st half and clearly opened up the pass game. 

It's mind boggling how they refuse to keep running.  That is exactly how you play that situation 

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I have a theory; what if part of this season's issues with picks is due to Davis being given the WR2 role.

Now hear me out; at least 2 or 3 of the recent picks were likely targets for Davis who was no where near the throw. 

We all know that Diggs will improvise on the fly and that he and Josh have a similar way of seeing the game thus rarely having issues when Diggs uses a built-in or freelance audible. 

Last year Beasley was, for all intensive purposes, the WR2 with all the privileges and freedoms with the job. For instance Beasley commonly would find soft spots in zone coverage that may or may not of been even game planned exactly. After all, no OC can account to any possible permutation of the defense, weather, and acts of random chance.

This year Davis has taken the role on and has struggled mightily. Either Davis and Allen don't read the game the same way or Davis is just consistently bad at it. When Davis was hurt, Allen played far more intelligently and spread the ball around. Davis's return has led to Allen using him akin to how he uses Diggs however Diggs is a master of route running and manipulation whereas Davis is not.

On the final play, Davis read the defense apparently and ran at an angle deep into the endzone even though both Diggs and another WR/TE was already in that area as well. Allen read the coverage and thought Davis would cross flat along the goal line since the other two already had the deep portion covered which would put him 1v1 at worst hence the bullet-esc throw. Allen trusts, and likely shouldn't to be honest at this point, to be there in the clutch like he was against KC or Indy in the playoffs and, sort of was, getting the tying FG at the end of the 4th Quarter.

Allen's throw was not a bad pass that fell short or a pass where a DB jumped the route like the endzone pick earlier in the game where he didn't see; or believe Peterson could get from his spot near the sidelines to in front of Knox. He gunned a ball at a spot specifically which so happened to only have a Viking there with Davis angling deeper.

As for not taking the checkdown to the RB, he saw a knockout punch to his many time effective TD threat over trusting his RB to make the play. (Granted Allen may still feel uneasy by the earlier "fumble" by Singeltary and his penchant for drops in key moments.) 

I do recall a couple INTs last year where it looked like Davis ran the wrong route. Today the last int I feel Josh thought Davis was gonna flatten out instead of going deeper into endzone. But who knows what Josh is seeing or thinking ATM. 

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I have a theory; what if part of this season's issues with picks is due to Davis being given the WR2 role.

Now hear me out; at least 2 or 3 of the recent picks were likely targets for Davis who was no where near the throw. 

We all know that Diggs will improvise on the fly and that he and Josh have a similar way of seeing the game thus rarely having issues when Diggs uses a built-in or freelance audible. 

Last year Beasley was, for all intensive purposes, the WR2 with all the privileges and freedoms with the job. For instance Beasley commonly would find soft spots in zone coverage that may or may not of been even game planned exactly. After all, no OC can account to any possible permutation of the defense, weather, and acts of random chance.

This year Davis has taken the role on and has struggled mightily. Either Davis and Allen don't read the game the same way or Davis is just consistently bad at it. When Davis was hurt, Allen played far more intelligently and spread the ball around. Davis's return has led to Allen using him akin to how he uses Diggs however Diggs is a master of route running and manipulation whereas Davis is not.

On the final play, Davis read the defense apparently and ran at an angle deep into the endzone even though both Diggs and another WR/TE was already in that area as well. Allen read the coverage and thought Davis would cross flat along the goal line since the other two already had the deep portion covered which would put him 1v1 at worst hence the bullet-esc throw. Allen trusts, and likely shouldn't to be honest at this point, to be there in the clutch like he was against KC or Indy in the playoffs and, sort of was, getting the tying FG at the end of the 4th Quarter.

Allen's throw was not a bad pass that fell short or a pass where a DB jumped the route like the endzone pick earlier in the game where he didn't see; or believe Peterson could get from his spot near the sidelines to in front of Knox. He gunned a ball at a spot specifically which so happened to only have a Viking there with Davis angling deeper.

As for not taking the checkdown to the RB, he saw a knockout punch to his many time effective TD threat over trusting his RB to make the play. (Granted Allen may still feel uneasy by the earlier "fumble" by Singeltary and his penchant for drops in key moments.) 

Beasley was a huge L

And as I'm writing this at 430 a.m nj 12 news even shows that Jefferson catch smh

Diggs had a similar catch that will get overshadowed 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

He forced that pass at the end …

I said elsewhere that the pass before the Int to Knox was beautiful… so that could have been the walk off win…

I think he under threw it. Didn't put enough arm in it. 

The Knox play should have been PI at very worst.

Just now, JerseyBills said:

Beasley was a huge L

And as I'm writing this at 430 a.m nj 12 news even shows that Jefferson catch smh

Lewis actually gave Jefferson 3 hands! Amazing. Lewis caught that ball for him.

Punch it away! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think he under threw it. Didn't put enough arm in it. 

The Knox play should have been PI at very worst.

Lewis actually gave Jefferson 3 hands! Amazing. Lewis caught that ball for him.

Punch it away! 

Absolutely.  Diggs was probably overall more impressive 

The issue is why is Lewis going for the pick there in the 1st place in that situation?! 

Coaches should have been in every DBs ear that they knock it away unless you're literally all alone . Man this one is going to F my week up 🤮

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

So many errors that it is going to be tough to come up with a nickname for this one.  definitely worse regular season loss of McDermott era

1. the snap

2. Jefferson catch

3. elbowgate 

4. The collapse. 

How about "the game of 4 errors" ???

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

He forced that pass at the end …

I said elsewhere that the pass before the Int to Knox was beautiful… so that could have been the walk off win…

But I can’t make excuses for the game ending pass … you gotta have more patience …live for the next play unless 4th down or the clock had run down 

Would it be a forced pass if Gabe did cut in instead of up? There were two defenders at the first yard marker in front of Singletary, yeah it would of been an easy dish off for sure. You had the safety playing our inside man deeper in the endzone. If Gabe cut across instead of up he had position on Peterson and LBer way too short to make any kind of play on the ball while the safety was too high. Should really of been an easy catch if both were on the same page.  People saying its forced because the route Gabe took put him in tighter coverage. That’s my opinion. Also seems Allen and Gabe are thinking two different things at times. You have bad plays between both getting dissected every week. 

Edited by BananaB

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Does Jefferson run crazy like that against our first teamers?  White, Hyde, Poyer, and even Elam would all have made a huge difference.

No one knows!  I'm a huge fan of our starting D backfield, but I'm also a huge fan of Jefferson.  He's as good a WR as there is in the league right now.

He may WELL have had a big day with our 1s in the game.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

Would it be a forced pass if Gabe did cut in instead of up? There were two defenders at the first yard marker in front of Singletary, yeah it would of been an easy dish off for sure. You had the safety playing our inside man deeper in the endzone. If Gabe cut across instead of up he had position on Peterson and LBer way too short to make any kind of play on the ball while the safety was too high. Should really of been an easy catch if both were on the same page.  People saying its forced because the route Gabe took put him in tighter coverage. That’s my opinion. Also seems every Allen and Gabe are thinking two different things at times. 

We'll never know the reason for sure but bottom line , it's inexcusable.  Especially in the RZ

That's 4 RZ ints since the bye 3 weeks ago. 

This has to stop or we won't sniff a SB 

15 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

You mean that ridiculous one hand stab?  Way up over his head?

I think that is his best catch as a Buffalo Bill.  I said as much in the game thread the moment it happened.

• Agree 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

You mean that ridiculous one hand stab?  Way up over his head?

I think that is his best catch as a Buffalo Bill.  I said as much in the game thread the moment it happened.

Ya. It was an incredible catch. One of the best in the nfl all year

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

We'll never know the reason for sure but bottom line , it's inexcusable.  Especially in the RZ

That's 4 RZ ints since the bye 3 weeks ago. 

This has to stop or we won't sniff a SB 

I agree. But if this is the case you can’t blame Allen for putting the ball in the right place and Gabe running the wrong route. Like I said, if he cuts in they should be an easy catch, 

6 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Would it be a forced pass if Gabe did cut in instead of up? There were two defenders at the first yard marker in front of Singletary, yeah it would of been an easy dish off for sure. You had the safety playing our inside man deeper in the endzone. If Gabe cut across instead of up he had position on Peterson and LBer way too short to make any kind of play on the ball while the safety was too high. Should really of been an easy catch if both were on the same page.  People saying its forced because the route Gabe took put him in tighter coverage. That’s my opinion. Also seems Allen and Gabe are thinking two different things at times. You have bad plays between both getting dissected every week. 

Yet, they were telepathic wonder twins on that 98 yard bomb against Pitt.

Allen looked understandably heartbroken in his presser. 

As well as last week vs the Jets but this one, his body language was different. Particularly not looking reporters in their eyes and overall not moving like he usually does in press conferences 

Maybe I'm over analyzing here but it's clear he takes these losses hard and I think this one got to him a bit psychologically 

Back to back losses with 5 turnovers by him including 2 RZ picks is something we haven't seen since 2019.

He's either going to continue this downward spiral or be our upcoming opponents worse nightmare.  I don't see a middle ground with 17 and I love him for that. Next Sunday can't come soon enough but if he continues with the turnovers I'm going to be very concerned. 

I think all the hype. The Commercials and national exposure has put too much weight on him and our predictable and rarely used run gm doesn't help. The 1st half we ran effective and Wow, the pass gm opened up. Then , again with a lead, we barely run the ball

His inability to check the ball down which is an extension of the run gm is killing this team as well.  He had so many opportunities to hit Motor for positive yards while either getting sacked or incompletion for the 2nd straight game 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.