What Time Tomorrow Does Biden Resign?

Irv

7 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

On average, the out-party wins 30 House seats and four senate seats. 

Add in Biden’s approval rating plus inflation, and you’d expect an even bigger GOP win. 

All of that is not to mention that the Dems overextended themselves in 2020 due to Trump’s unpopularity. They won seats they shouldn’t be expected to hold.

So even if you throw our those last two reasons as not being quantifiable, this looks to be shaping up as a lackluster GOP performance. 

I agree with this.  A couple of thoughts.  It's over for Trump.  I think he hurt the GOP in this election.  DeSantis is clearly the front runner.  The Roe v Wade decision definitely came at a bad time. It was essentially the only thing the Dems had to run on, and it helped.  I'm still pretty shocked though.  I thought people cared about inflation, crime, the border, spiraling energy costs, aborting babies on the due date.  If the sweatshirt guy who's never had a job, with the stroke can win over a decorated Harvard physician, in this environment - I thought wrong.  This country is ***** up.     What a mess.    

Edited by Irv
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Irv said:

I agree with this.  A couple of thoughts.  It's over for Trump.  I think he hurt the GOP in this election. 

From what we have seen in 2018, 2020, and 2022, I think it’s fair to say that Trump hurts the GOP when he’s not on the ballot. 

He gets people out to vote when he’s at the top of the ballot but otherwise, people aren’t enthused with the cretins and weirdos he endorses. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Irv said:

If the sweatshirt guy who's never had a job, with the stroke can win over a decorated Harvard physician

You mean the army veteran, Mehmet Oz? 
Turkish Army to be precise. 
You mean the Long-time New Jerseyite?

Look, a generic Republican easily defeats bozo Fetterman, stroke or no stroke. But they didn’t nominate a generic Pennsylvania Republican.  They nominated (thanks to the Trump endorsement!) a dual citizen of Turkey and New Jersey. 

Even the hard righty New York post is out for “toxic trump” now. 

the other thing I heard he reportedly did was inject cash for ‘his guys’ in the primary then abandon them in the race. 

https://nypost.com/2022/11/09/heres-how-donald-trump-sabotaged-the-republican-midterms/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=com.microsoft.Office.Outlook.compose-shareextension

ignore orange man run better candidates and take a reasonable compromised position on abortion is all they had to do.   They need to fire some people if they ever want to be relevant. Biggest lost opportunity for them in decades. It’s all for the better. If they had a filibuster proof senate majority they’d probably have impeached their way down to Kevin McCarthy… 😂 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BillStime said:

I'm no fan of Newt. But if the Republicans want to convince me to vote for them again, they ought to look back to his Contract with America days. I wasn't a fan of all the ideas there, but that's what they were: IDEAS. Actual policy changes and government structural changes. Not "own the libs" talking points.

- term limits

- social security reform (Yes ... it's necessary. It will happen on an emergency basis with far worse repercussions if we wait instead of doing it with phased-in actuarially sound principles today)

- a balanced budget amendment (I don't like this one; COVID showed us the necessity of deficit spending in certain emergency situations. Having said that, I know that everything is an "emergency" to politicians who want to hand out candy. So it's two cheers for balanced budgets)

- tougher sentencing on federal criminals

- welfare reform (not sure I liked the proposals at the time, but they dragged Bill Clinton toward more sensible strategies that Obama and Biden have been working furiously to undercut)

Will we see that kind of serious policy debate in 2024? We certainly didn't see it in 2022 or 2020.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm no fan of Newt. But if the Republicans want to convince me to vote for them again, they ought to look back to his Contract with America days. I wasn't a fan of all the ideas there, but that's what they were: IDEAS. Actual policy changes and government structural changes. Not "own the libs" talking points.

- term limits

- social security reform (Yes ... it's necessary. It will happen on an emergency basis with far worse repercussions if we wait instead of doing it with phased-in actuarially sound principles today)

- a balanced budget amendment (I don't like this one; COVID showed us the necessity of deficit spending in certain emergency situations. Having said that, I know that everything is an "emergency" to politicians who want to hand out candy. So it's two cheers for balanced budgets)

- tougher sentencing on federal criminals

- welfare reform (not sure I liked the proposals at the time, but they dragged Bill Clinton toward more sensible strategies that Obama and Biden have been working furiously to undercut)

Will we see that kind of serious policy debate in 2024? We certainly didn't see it in 2022 or 2020.

Bingo - today's republican party has been hijacked by the MAGA fringe... if the end result of MAGA is a viable third party - this might all have been worth it...

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/9/2022 at 9:21 AM, The Frankish Reich said:

You mean the army veteran, Mehmet Oz? 
Turkish Army to be precise. 
You mean the Long-time New Jerseyite?

Look, a generic Republican easily defeats bozo Fetterman, stroke or no stroke. But they didn’t nominate a generic Pennsylvania Republican.  They nominated (thanks to the Trump endorsement!) a dual citizen of Turkey and New Jersey. 

In an interview Schummer said it came down to Democrats having "better candidates" and there is a lot of truth to that statement.  As you cite Oz.  A homegrown moderate Pennsylvania Republican would have probably won that Senate seat.  A fundamental problem is what sells in the primaries doesn't always work in the general election, for one because of a very large independent vote that swings either way depending on the issue and specific district or State.  Democrats have more or less recognize this reality while Republicans are, as usual, slow to catch on.   

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

In an interview Schummer said it came down to Democrats having "better candidates" and there is a lot of truth to that statement.  As you cite Oz.  A homegrown moderate Pennsylvania Republican would have probably won that Senate seat.  A fundamental problem is what sells in the primaries doesn't always work in the general election, for one because of a very large independent vote that swings either way depending on the issue and specific district or State.  Democrats have more or less recognize this reality while Republicans are, as usual, slow to catch on.   

I live in NH. The GOP could have easily won both congressional seats and the Senate seat. For  the Senate seat GOP nominated Bolduc who claimed public schools were affording litter boxes  for furry kids (really). Karoline Leavitt was a freaking 25 year old Trump Barbie who claimed to the end that Trump won the 2020 election. The other GOP concressional candidate was even worse. 

They got there arses kicked. 

What a mess. 

2 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Democrats have more or less recognize this reality

In my lifetime, I saw the Democrats go waaay to the left of the median voter once: McGovern. And he got clobbered in a defeat that has never been matched. But the primary process will always pull candidates too far to either side. Hillary 2016 was a victim of Bernie; she couldn’t occupy the center like good ol’ Bill after Bernie shifted the party hard left. 
What we have going on with the Republicans is just plain weird now. Not ideological, just weird. Celebrity candidates like Oz and Tommy Tuberville and Herschel Walker, not to mention Trump himself. 

• 2 months later...

I still laugh at this thread.

Sums up EVERYTHING about these pathetic simps and Fox News.

I give them credit tho - no matter how many times their leaders over promise and continuously under deliver - these idiots are so desperate to own the libs they keep coming back for more.

So much winning.

14 minutes ago, BillStime said:

I still laugh at this thread.

Sums up EVERYTHING about these pathetic simps and Fox News.

I give them credit tho - no matter how many times their leaders over promise and continuously under deliver - these idiots are so desperate to own the libs they keep coming back for more.

So much winning.

The Dems give hand outs.  Losers like hand outs and vote for Dems.  What a mess.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1