4-2-5 Alignment

Turf Toejam 34

Just a thought---the lack of heavy back side personnel is going to cause injuries----Poyer---Hyde---etc.   

McD's defense puts a heavy load on non-LB's to support in run defense.    There is no doubt in my mind that this exposes both the CBs and safeties to play a larger role in run support and puts them in a position where they are putting themselves in situations to get injured.   

If the team is totally committed to this fact, then I'm okay with it, but it will mean that we will need a steady supply of replacements.   

• Like (+1) 3

With an undersized Bernard it's more like a 4-1-6. I thought the fact that the Jets ran the ball with ease right down the field all 2nd half, missing their top RB and 2 top OL, might have been a hint to the staff that this might not be an optimal personnel grouping but what do I know, I'm just an internet.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Turf Toejam 34 said:

Just a thought---the lack of heavy back side personnel is going to cause injuries----Poyer---Hyde---etc.   

McD's defense puts a heavy load on non-LB's to support in run defense.    There is no doubt in my mind that this exposes both the CBs and safeties to play a larger role in run support and puts them in a position where they are putting themselves in situations to get injured.   

If the team is totally committed to this fact, then I'm okay with it, but it will mean that we will need a steady supply of replacements.   

Are you new to watching the Bills? They are 100% not gonna change. A few times a year this happens to us and is really noticeable in games like these where are O struggles to score. 

26 minutes ago, Turf Toejam 34 said:

The personnel on the field has nothing to do with their role in run support. The scheme/offensive formation dictates that.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Are you new to watching the Bills? They are 100% not gonna change. A few times a year this happens to us and is really noticeable in games like these where are O struggles to score. 

I have watched every game since McBeane took over and then some.    This is not a response to today's debacle.   I am glad that there was a full thought experiment done before lambasting me.   Thanks alot for stopping and not just toting the company line.....great job.....

7 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Our defense works well when we score early and keep scoring. 

So we can only win one type of game?   

Edited by Turf Toejam 34
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

With an undersized Bernard it's more like a 4-1-6. I thought the fact that the Jets ran the ball with ease right down the field all 2nd half, missing their top RB and 2 top OL, might have been a hint to the staff that this might not be an optimal personnel grouping but what do I know, I'm just an internet.

I was having that thought like, why did they not give Dodson a try?  Especially when we had DBs dropping like leaves.

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

McDermott and Fraiser, when faced with adversity, almost ALWAYS double down on their philosophy.

They just don’t want to come out of that personnel grouping, and I don’t expect that to change.

Except that we did vs. KC, in all kinds of ways.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

It is Unbelievable that people think this defense will change. And now starting to look at it. 

this defense has been here since McD got here. Will be here until he leaves. 

just like all the Premium assets will go into it. Thats the HC. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

McDermott and Fraiser, when faced with adversity, almost ALWAYS double down on their philosophy.

They just don’t want to come out of that personnel grouping, and I don’t expect that to change.

Well, looking to the future, if they’re going to continue with this scheme, they need to look at drafting a big safety like Kam Chancellor. (6-3, 225). who could be a fast big hitting college linebacker.

27 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Bernard and Milano are the same size

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Well, looking to the future, if they’re going to continue with this scheme, they need to look at drafting a big safety like Kam Chancellor. (6-3, 225). who could be a fast big hitting college linebacker.

As a matter of semantics, I am not opposed to the scheme.     I was just pointing out that the scheme put a more intense tackling penalty on our secondary due to the natural alignment.   This was not a response to a single game, or really even a particular season.   

2 minutes ago, Turf Toejam 34 said:

As a matter of semantics, I am not opposed to the scheme.     I was just pointing out that the scheme put a more intense tackling penalty on our secondary due to the natural alignment.   This was not a response to a single game, or really even a particular season.   

I want to know your thought process here. How does 4-2 personnel "put a more intense tackling penalty on our secondary" than 4-3 personnel?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.