The NFL Head Coaching pipeline... running dry?

GunnerBill

I don't know what their relationship is, but in the context of getting guys from good organizations, I would have thought that Frazier and Brian Gaine, could be a solid combo.

Gaine never really had a chance with all of the machinations at the Texans, with O'Brien etc. and if he and Frazier are on the same page, I think they could do good things somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, FireChans said:

If I was hiring a new regime, I would only hire from the Bills/49ers/Chiefs/Ravens.

I would do exactly what the Giants did. Pair their best coordinator with their best FO guy and get them on the same page early.

It’s a total mistake to pair up two ransoms from different orgs. The Bills did it for years.

50 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

You should definitely add the Eagles to that list. The current regime has been doing a very good job.

Yes.

Howie Roseman has been with the Eagles since 2000 when he started there as an intern. People like Connor Barwin and others in their front office have learned under him. The Eagles won a Super Bowl as recently as 2017. Now 2 years after firing their Super Bowl winning coach, they're considered by many to be the best team in the league and no one doubts they are at least legit Super Bowl contenders.

The Eagles have enough front office talent that would be attractive to other teams. As the OP stated, Shane Steichen is a legit HC candidate and Jonathan Gannon will also get consideration in the next hiring cycle.

8 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It's probably a year too early but I could see Dorsey being a legit candidate. He knows the culture of one of the top organizations in the league. Learned under Daboll. And Daboll has proven (in the short term) to be able to take his system and what he learned from the Bills organization to another team and have success. I love what both the Bills and Giants have done, bringing in the head coach and GM from the same organization. I think that is the model to follow. So maybe when looking at potential head coaching candidates we also need to look at GM candidates from the same team. And which teams will have both GM and head coach openings?

Frazier deserves a look but his age is a factor against him at this point.

Coaching players in their 20's is a better fit for somebody in their 40's imho.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Eric Bieniemy - Chiefs OC - Despite all the Chiefs offensive success and multiple interviews in recent years Bieniemy is not yet a HC. Personality questions hover around him and a recent public row with Mahomes on the sideline doesn't help. 

You forgot to add a rapsheet longer than a CVS receipt including grabbing a female by the neck and giving drugs alcohol and prostitutes to minors and covering up rape allegations of players. 

He's a human piece of garbage. 

• 9 months later...

Had forgotten all about this thread but just happened to flick past it earlier..... it was from November, literally the day before Reich was fired by the Colts. 

I recognised Peyton was the big fish sitting out there and would have his pick of jobs. He obviously landed one. Reich landed one bouncing straight into Carolina. The other 3 vacancies were filled by 3 of the 4 guys on my legit contenders list! I'd obviously be a great NFL owner if I was rich enough. :D 

• Like (+1) 2

Good to great HC's are hard to come by.. Just look at the Bills 2 decades of ineptness. Only a handful seem to rise to the top. Many of those prove they can't repeat their success but ride it to a few more jobs.

just like finding a franchise QB, which goes hand in hand with HC success most of the time

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Had forgotten all about this thread but just happened to flick past it earlier..... it was from November, literally the day before Reich was fired by the Colts. 

I recognised Peyton was the big fish sitting out there and would have his pick of jobs. He obviously landed one. Reich landed one bouncing straight into Carolina. The other 3 vacancies were filled by 3 of the 4 guys on my legit contenders list! I'd obviously be a great NFL owner if I was rich enough. :D 

Impressive in a thread about Reich possibly being fired you named Steichen as a general top candidate. Great call!

Ralph shouldve hired you decades ago!

"Let's not wait til the water runs dry...

You might watch your whole career pass you by...

Let's not wait til the water runs dry...

You'll make the very worst hire of your life...

Don't do it baby..."

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.