NFL messing up a good thing (Pat McAfee)

DrDawkinstein

F the professional American  football league.  McAfee should just use Josh Allen's drawing of the Bills logo.  That would be hilarious.   I'm sure that he has enough connections to get players hand drawn rendering of each team.  F THE League.  Wish they would start paying taxes.  IIRC they are exempt. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

Anyone who honestly believes McAfee is VITAL to NFL marketing needs to think again. McAfee would be just a rand9m ranting mook without the NFL. The NFL is VITAL to McAfee's popularity. IMO he should be paying the NFL big rights fees, because without the league he's a NOBODY and would be worth a tiny fraction of what he is currently worth.  The NFL is wildly popular and would be so if McAfee had never been born.

With that said,  how big of an impact does the lack of logos have on McAfee's podcast? Is that really some soft of insurmountable obstacle? 

He is paying them 4 million dollars is that not big rights fees? Lol

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, section122 said:

He is paying them 4 million dollars is that not big rights fees? Lol

Might be enough, might not. But however it plays out, getting all bent out of shape on behalf of McAfee seems preposterous to me. The NFL owes him next to nothing. He owes the NFL nearly everything.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

Anyone who honestly believes McAfee is VITAL to NFL marketing needs to think again. McAfee would be just a rand9m ranting mook without the NFL. The NFL is VITAL to McAfee's popularity. IMO he should be paying the NFL big rights fees, because without the league he's a NOBODY and would be worth a tiny fraction of what he is currently worth.  The NFL is wildly popular and would be so if McAfee had never been born.

With that said,  how big of an impact does the lack of logos have on McAfee's podcast? Is that really some soft of insurmountable obstacle? 

Much of this is pure nonsense. You don't like the guy, that's fine, but you're so far off-base in your response it's not even funny. He's one of the hardest working people in sports & media. Daily podcast, WWE announcer, WWE wrestler, on College GameDay. He's far from a nobody without this gig. And this just in.......the NFL CAVED.😂😂

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Much of this is pure nonsense. You don't like the guy, that's fine, but you're so far off-base in your response it's not even funny. He's one of the hardest working people in sports & media. Daily podcast, WWE announcer, WWE wrestler, on College GameDay. He's far from a nobody without this gig. And this just in.......the NFL CAVED.😂😂

It has nothing to do with whether or not I like him.  It is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with how hard he works. That is also irrelevant to the issue. 

But PLEASE do not try to get me to believe he is anything but a very small (insignificant actually) piece of the success of the NFL. That's idiotic. The NFL has EVERYTHING to do with his ability to make the make the money he is now making. Pretty simple actually.

But I also have no problem with the outcome. From the get-go it just seemed like a mixup to me, that would probably get worked out. But as his his way, he made a HUGE deal out of very little. I'm just surprised anyone cares enough to take up his cause, as if he somehow was attacked by the NFL. That cracks me up as it is nonsense. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

It has nothing to do with whether or not I like him.  It is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with how hard he works. That is also irrelevant to the issue. 

But PLEASE do not try to get me to believe he is anything but a very small (insignificant actually) piece of the success of the NFL. That's idiotic. The NFL has EVERYTHING to do with his ability to make the make the money he is now making. Pretty simple actually.

But I also have no problem with the outcome. From the get-go it just seemed like a mixup to me, that would probably get worked out. But as his his way, he made a HUGE deal out of very little. I'm just surprised anyone cares enough to take up his cause, as if he somehow was attacked by the NFL. That cracks me up as it is nonsense. 

I can't believe anyone cares enough to take up the NFL's cause. I don't believe anyone has stated that he's a significant piece of the NFL's success. That's just taking something that was said, to a much lesser extent, and over exaggerating what was really stated.

But for you to call him a nobody is ridiculous. NFL Films doesn't go to bat and get the NFL to cave for nobodies. Maybe it is because "nobody" has ever got the NFL to cave when it comes to money. Ever.

I don't know your real opinion of him, but to me it comes off as I don't like him, therefore he's a nobody who's wrong. We just saw results that proved otherwise. It's like rooting for Goliath instead of David. Give me the underdog every...single....time. For once over the top greed didn't win, hip hip hooray!!! Score one for the good guys!! Ef the NFL and all their billionaires.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I can't believe anyone cares enough to take up the NFL's cause. I don't believe anyone has stated that he's a significant piece of the NFL's success. That's just taking something that was said, to a much lesser extent, and over exaggerating what was really stated.

But for you to call him a nobody is ridiculous. NFL Films doesn't go to bat and get the NFL to cave for nobodies. Maybe it is because "nobody" has ever got the NFL to cave when it comes to money. Ever.

I don't know your real opinion of him, but to me it comes off as I don't like him, therefore he's a nobody who's wrong. We just saw results that proved otherwise. It's like rooting for Goliath instead of David. Give me the underdog every...single....time. For once over the top greed didn't win, hip hip hooray!!! Score one for the good guys!! Ef the NFL and all their billionaires.

I was in no way trying to defend the NFL.

But it's clear some here think McAfee's podcast is a MAJOR marketing asset to the NFL. And that not having the logo is a big blow to McAfee. I disagree on both counts. Really that was the entire point of my post. If you agree, we're all set.

And I think you far overestimate the entire "caving" thing. This probably really was a misunderstanding in the vast NFL machinery/lawyers/etc. Some people just know how to/love to get as much publicity mileage that others out of minor situations.  Hey if it works to pump up your cred, then props to that, I suppose.

As far as the real truth of what's going on/went on in this case, if someone wants to send me all the legal agreements and correspondence between the parties, I'll be happy to weigh in. Though I may have to ask the lawyers here a few questions. But in general I'm never inclined to believe the details I get from one side---particular if that side is known for shameless self promotion. In this case, both parties are guilty of that from time to time. 

5 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I was in no way trying to defend the NFL.

But it's clear some here think McAfee's podcast is a MAJOR marketing asset to the NFL. And that not having the logo is a big blow to McAfee. I disagree on both counts. Really that was the entire point of my post. If you agree, we're all set.

And I think you far overestimate the entire "caving" thing. This probably really was a misunderstanding in the vast NFL machinery/lawyers/etc. Some people just know how to/love to get as much publicity mileage that others out of minor situations.  Hey if it works to pump up your cred, then props to that, I suppose.

As far as the real truth of what's going on/went on in this case, if someone wants to send me all the legal agreements and correspondence between the parties, I'll be happy to weigh in. Though I may have to ask the lawyers here a few questions. But in general I'm never inclined to believe the details I get from one side---particular if that side is known for shameless self promotion. In this case, both parties are guilty of that from time to time. 

Misunderstanding? Yeah, the NFL lawyers didn't have a Misunderstanding with this, they laid it all out for him earlier in the week. Things they were allowed to do on the show and the longer list of things he couldn't. I find it hard to believe this was a misunderstanding. 

You don't believe if Pat was untruthful with what he said today the NFL wouldn't come right back at him with the stance they had earlier in the week? Lol, come on now. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it, the NFL would've buried him for it. Cause he laid it all out there today and didn't seem worried about doing so.

18 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Misunderstanding? Yeah, the NFL lawyers didn't have a Misunderstanding with this, they laid it all out for him earlier in the week. Things they were allowed to do on the show and the longer list of things he couldn't. I find it hard to believe this was a misunderstanding. 

You don't believe if Pat was untruthful with what he said today the NFL wouldn't come right back at him with the stance they had earlier in the week? Lol, come on now. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it, the NFL would've buried him for it. Cause he laid it all out there today and didn't seem worried about doing so.

😂

Whatever you say, Champ.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:46 PM, MAJBobby said:

Yeah ok....  A lot of people have taken on the NFL, they just chew them up and spit them out, McAfee is no different. 

Quick what do you think Pat will do if he gets a letter tomorrow from FanDuel saying we are going to cancel our sponsorship because you do not have access to logos?  Or you want to take on the NFL over a little license fee upgrade?

You know the same FanDuel that is also in bed with the NFL

Sweet, so do I have to repeat the course?

What would he do if FanDuel called and said they'd cancel? Boy, that's a poser, Major. Um, He'd find another sponsor. The reason they paid him is he's worth it. He has millions of regular viewers. That's worth money to advertisers. Which is why FanDuel paid him.

Oh, and yeah, the NFL sure did "chew them up and spit them out." You really were right on target there when you say "McAfee was no different."

The NFL just abjectly apologized and backed down.

It may well have been a mistake made further down the chain that the higher-ups didn't know about. McAfee put sunlight on the decision and all of a sudden, things change. The NFL doesn't like bad publicity any more than most big fat profitable corporations do. And McAfee is in a position to generate a lot of bad publicity, and we see what happens.

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.