Where's Dawson? Option Route Question

Beck Water

Chris Simms does a nice job analyzing some plays where KC had some success with pressure.

One of these, 2:30 in - he diagrams the routes.

To the question of "where's Dawson Knox?" Simms sketches up Knox as running an out route.

But, am I wrong (I could be) that this seems like the kind of setup where a slot receiver has the option to either run an out or an inside route, and where Knox is effectively functioning as the slot receiver?  Seems to me that Knox should sell the out with a step and then cut inside, and that Josh isn't so much confused about the coverage as waiting for Knox to do something he doesn't do - take the inside option where he can find some space?

Again I could be wrong

I haven't watched a lot of film, but if Knox is being asked to read the coverage and run options, and he's being indecisive or not doing what Josh expects, that would kind of explain his low production to date.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Feeling for Knox and what he’s had to go through personally this season. Mental aspect of the game is huge 

Indeed.  People talk about how football is a game of inches, but I think it's also a game of milliseconds.  Just the tiniest slow-down in processing speed and reaction makes or breaks a play.

Getting back to the play being diagrammed, though, it just seems weird to me if everyone is doing what they should, because normally Dorsey seems to be very good at scheming so at least 1 guy is open quickly on every play, especially against a pressure "look" which this was.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

I think we’re going to see a little more of Knox tonight.  Probably not a ton of yards, but I’m guessing one IR even two TD’s.  The other interesting division of responsibilities will be how much Shakir vs. Isaiah, and has Cook me a culpa enough in the bye week to get 5-7 targets.  He was never going to get 15-20, but 5-7 is a good start.

I don't think so. It's a triangle read. With the safety coming down I think Josh would want to hit the corner route, but it's good man coverage by the DB. I think the Z would normally have the option route, but this one is designed to hit a big play. 2 deep routes and 1 intermediate route as opposed to 1 deep, 1 intermediate option route, and 1 shallow route. It's a higher risk, higher reward play and unfortunately the Chiefs were in good coverage to stop it.

43 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

With the blitz coming,  I think Knox should have cut the route short and made the cut outside around the 38-39yd line. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

I was wondering if calling the hot route, or the blitz is the job of Allen or part of the play scheme.

Allen actually reads the defense correctly and targets Diggs on the play. Most of the time, they assume 1v1 is a mismatch in Bills favor.

Good video.   Definitely lines up with what we see….blitzing him is live by the sword die by the sword but you randomize it and get some stops.   It has been somewhat successful but that also should present some huge play opportunities the rest of the season since we know teams will copy this.  

59 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I was wondering if calling the hot route, or the blitz is the job of Allen or part of the play scheme.

Allen actually reads the defense correctly and targets Diggs on the play. Most of the time, they assume 1v1 is a mismatch in Bills favor.

I think a little of both.

Looking at the whole play, looks like you are correct. Allen did read it well. Once Allen steps up, he never looked to the right and was fixed on Diggs.

18 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Chris Simms does a nice job analyzing some plays where KC had some success with pressure.

One of these, 2:30 in - he diagrams the routes.

To the question of "where's Dawson Knox?" Simms sketches up Knox as running an out route.

But, am I wrong (I could be) that this seems like the kind of setup where a slot receiver has the option to either run an out or an inside route, and where Knox is effectively functioning as the slot receiver?  Seems to me that Knox should sell the out with a step and then cut inside, and that Josh isn't so much confused about the coverage as waiting for Knox to do something he doesn't do - take the inside option where he can find some space?

Again I could be wrong

I haven't watched a lot of film, but if Knox is being asked to read the coverage and run options, and he's being indecisive or not doing what Josh expects, that would kind of explain his low production to date.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

IMO Knox ran the route called for. If he cuts in, wouldn’t he interfere with the post route being run by the other wr? Two receivers in the same area is not what we want out of that play, I would think. Plus there’s pressure on Allen.  Allen is not perfect and plays like this will happen. On to the next play. Feels like some here think Allen can do no wrong and we must find a scapegoat when a play doesn’t work out. JMO. 

Off-topic, but the fact that we have to wait for all-22 for this type of analysis eats at me. I can't stand how far they zoom in on plays in the actual games to the point where the routes run are off screen and you have no idea what's going on until the camera pans. I want to see guys doing this stuff in real time. Not just replays. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Off-topic, but the fact that we have to wait for all-22 for this type of analysis eats at me. I can't stand how far they zoom in on plays in the actual games to the point where the routes run are off screen and you have no idea what's going on until the camera pans. I want to see guys doing this stuff in real time. Not just replays. 

This is what Prime does for their TNF broadcasts. Live all-22 footage so you can see the plays develop a lot better. I hope they get the streaming contract and bring that footage to every game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.