Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

I disagree totally with those criticising the end of 1st half clock management. I think they managed it perfectly. Now I will preface that with to an extent they were trying to dig themselves out of a hole slightly of their own making by choosing the ball at the toss. I get the explanation was "we thought the weather was going to turn even worse etc" but they should have deferred. 

If you possess the ball on the first drive of the game then one of your main objectives first half has to be prevent the double dip. So you have to possess the ball at the end of the half. And remember, the Ravens still had all 3 timeouts. The Bills, also with all 3 timeouts, converted a 3rd and 1 on the ground with Singletary at 1:01 remaining (50 odd seconds by the time the play was over). If you call timeout there, let's say :55, timeout. Now imagine your drive stalls here. Let's say pass incomplete first down. Now you are second and 10, :49 seconds. You think man we better chew some clock now so you call a run or a safe pass, gain 4 yards, Ravens call timeout. So you are now third and 6 :43 seconds. You have to pass on third down it goes incomplete. You kick a FG with :37 seconds left. The Ravens are getting the ball with upwards of 30 seconds and two timeouts. At worst you think they are getting into Justin Tucker range (anything within 60 yards) and your drive at the end of half is worth nothing. 

But by not calling timeout until you have converted another first down and now have 1st and 10 at the Baltimore 14 with :21 left you have pretty much taken Baltimore scoring points before half (other than a pick six or fumble recovery scoop and score) off the table. And you can still stop the clock twice. They ended up 1st and Goal from the 4, :13 left with two timeouts. Your whole playbook is available to you in that position and if you score the Ravens are kneeling on it. Which is exactly what happened. 

The Bills HAD to have twin objectives on that drive 1. Score. 2. Make it the last meaningful possession of the half. If the Bills were receiving the 2nd half kick I think it changes things a little bit. But They weren't. I loved the clock management on that drive. That is exactly how you should play it in that scenario IMO. 

The end of the game I have a bit more sympathy with the argument that they should have been bleeding the clock earlier on the drive. But they were at least smart at the very end. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree totally with those criticising the end of 1st half clock management. I think they managed it perfectly. Now I will preface that with to an extent they were trying to dig themselves out of a hole slightly of their own making by choosing the ball at the toss. I get the explanation was "we thought the weather was going to turn even worse etc" but they should have deferred. 

If you possess the ball on the first drive of the game then one of your main objectives first half has to be prevent the double dip. So you have to possess the ball at the end of the half. And remember, the Ravens still had all 3 timeouts. The Bills, also with all 3 timeouts, converted a 3rd and 1 on the ground with Singletary at 1:01 remaining (50 odd seconds by the time the play was over). If you call timeout there, let's say :55, timeout. Now imagine your drive stalls here. Let's say pass incomplete first down. Now you are second and 10, :49 seconds. You think man we better chew some clock now so you call a run or a safe pass, gain 4 yards, Ravens call timeout. So you are now third and 6 :43 seconds. You have to pass on third down it goes incomplete. You kick a FG with :37 seconds left. The Ravens are getting the ball with upwards of 30 seconds and two timeouts. At worst you think they are getting into Justin Tucker range (anything within 60 yards) and your drive at the end of half is worth nothing. 

But by not calling timeout until you have converted another first down and now have 1st and 10 at the Baltimore 14 with :21 left you have pretty much taken Baltimore scoring points before half (other than a pick six or fumble recovery scoop and score) off the table. And you can still stop the clock twice. They ended up 1st and Goal from the 4, :13 left with two timeouts. Your whole playbook is available to you in that position and if you score the Ravens are kneeling on it. Which is exactly what happened. 

The Bills HAD to have twin objectives on that drive 1. Score. 2. Make it the last meaningful possession of the half. If the Bills were receiving the 2nd half kick I think it changes things a little bit. But They weren't. I loved the clock management on that drive. That is exactly how you should play it in that scenario IMO. 

The end of the game I have a bit more sympathy with the argument that they should have been bleeding the clock earlier on the drive. But they were at least smart at the very end. 

I generally agree with everything said here, but I really like that they weren’t trying to bleed the clock earlier. I was nervous that they were just going to try to get into field goal range and not keep pushing forward. Even though all kicks were made, hitting a 35+ yard field goal was no gimmie, and pushing the pace just a little bit gave the sense they may be pushing for the touchdown as well. I liked that they got out of the huddle a little bit quicker, gave Josh a chance to look things over, and at the very least push for a closer field goal. They played it perfectly though 

44 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

ok, but who wouldn't be good with JA?

Of course JA makes coaches look good.  We also have the best 53-man roster in the league because of Beane and McDermott and the culture they brought in.  And the year that McD broke our 17 year playoff drought it was without Josh Allen and with possibly the worst roster to ever make the playoffs in NFL history.  That team was built to go 3-13.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, teef said:

Fun. 

Yes

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Of course JA makes coaches look good.  We also have the best 53-man roster in the league because of Beane and McDermott and the culture they brought in.  And the year that McD broke our 17 year playoff drought it was without Josh Allen and with possibly the worst roster to ever make the playoffs in NFL history.  That team was built to go 3-13.

Then why send Andy dalton so much money?

• Eyeroll 2

4 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Yes

Then why send Andy dalton so much money?

Again, he went 9-7 with a team that a bad coach genuinely could have gotten a winless season out of.  It was that bad.  And then he got JA and they're writing history together.  The argument that having a great QB somehow reflects negatively on the legacy of the HC is so tired.

Don't argue in bad faith.  Do you disagree that this franchise has the best roster in football and the best team culture in football?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Again, he went 9-7 with a team that a bad coach genuinely could have gotten a winless season out of.  It was that bad.  And then he got JA and they're writing history together.  The argument that having a great QB somehow reflects negatively on the legacy of the HC is so tired.

Don't argue in bad faith.  Do you disagree that this franchise has the best roster in football and the best team culture in football?

winless? You really think the 2017 would have gone winless without McDermott?

who is “arguing in bad faith” here?

4 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

It’s tired unless the coach has a stain as bad as 13 seconds 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The only contribution Andy Dalton made to the Bills going 9-7 with Tyrod Taylor at Quarterback and Zay Jones and Deonte Thompson at wideout was being one of the 7 defeats. 

He beat us that year is what you’re saying? 

Anyway, I wouldn’t change a thing because it might alter the course of history. we are supremely lucky to have Josh Allen. You, me and McDermott are along for the ride. Hope one of us doesn’t ***** it up again. 

4 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

He beat us that year is what you’re saying? 

Anyway, I wouldn’t change a thing because it might alter the course of history. we are supremely lucky to have Josh Allen. You, me and McDermott are along for the ride. Hope one of us doesn’t ***** it up again. 

You were out on McDermott after the opening day defeat the last time the Bills played in Baltimore. You had a whiny thread about it where you told everyone that anyone showing any optimism was wrong and that this regime of coach and GM was just like all the others through the drought years. 

Since that day the Bills are 46-28 regular and post season. 

I think your credibility on this point is rather thin. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You were out on McDermott after the opening day defeat the last time the Bills played in Baltimore. You had a whiny thread about it where you told everyone that anyone showing any optimism was wrong and that this regime of coach and GM was just like all the others through the drought years. 

Since that day the Bills are 46-28 regular and post season. 

I think your credibility on this point is rather thin. 

david Culley was the QB coach. Nathan peterman was the starter. McDermott has no idea what he’s doing on offense. He’s lucky to have Josh Allen and that’s fine. Especially if he wanted him. 

edit: Bills have played Baltimore many times since

Edited by Rock-A-Bye Beasley

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.