Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

Just now, Max Fischer said:

Yes.

At the request of police, she made pretext calls — recorded by detectives — with the men named in the lawsuit whom police “had determined were present in the room when the rape occurred.” Araiza, the complaint alleged, confirmed on a call in late October that they had sex and recommended she get tested for a sexually transmitted disease. Later in the conversation, she asked him, “And did we have actual sex?” Araiza allegedly changed his tone and replied, “This is Matt Araiza. I don’t remember anything that happened that night.”

San Diego police detectives guided the young woman during her pretext calls, a Times review of text messages shows. The woman’s attorney, Daniel Gilleon, said police have not provided recordings of those calls or his client’s police report. The results of the rape exam have also not been disclosed, he said.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-08-25/nfl-matt-araiza-sdsu-football-players-accused-rape-lawsuit

Nothing changes from what I said in my edit above. We’re making the decision on the basis of the prosecution alone.

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

what was that?

And so far we have nothing but an account from the accuser, right? Have the SCU detectives/DA released the conversation? Has Araiza laid out his timeline and details of the events?

Yes, the accusers lawsuit. Are you willing to bet that the recordings don’t exist?

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Not just “A ***** punter”. Araiza is the Ray Guy Award winner for being the nation’s top college punter. He is truly a phenomenal sports wonder with his never-before-seen kicking of a football. Repeat; Never-Before-Seen. The evidence made available so far shows the young woman in question wasn’t completely honest about her age at the time and level of schooling, while claiming she consented to sex with Araiza. He hasn’t been -and it is more than conceivable he won’t be- criminally charged in this purported horrendous event from 10 months ago. Should this come to pass, he WILL be punting in the NFL - for Some team..

Fine. Let him punt for some team.

This team doesn’t need the distraction right now.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

Yes, the accusers lawsuit. Are you willing to bet that the recordings don’t exist?

Why wouldn't the recordings exist?

7 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Thanks. Araiza definitely should have told the Bills about the pending complaint. I don't see how that's an admission of guilt, but it is kinda dumb.

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

People need to understand cutting Araiza isn't that simple in regards to the NFLPA. My guess is they wait until Kern or another punter comes available and then they just swap him out. 

It is as simple as that. Cut him yesterday.

This is getting attention on the national news. Makes the Buffalo community look bad. How could of the Bills even taken a shot on this guy knowing any of this? I lost a lot of respect for Beane and McDermott. Like Howard Simon said on the radio yesterday morning, I don't want to hear about Bills culture from them anymore.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Why does anyone need to “pick a side” before the facts are known?  If the facts show that Araiza had consensual sex at a college party with a girl he thought was 18 and played no part in any alleged assault, does he deserve to lose his job?

I don’t understand the need to rush to judgment.  From what I’ve read, I think both of the lawyers involved have acted pretty terribly.

It’s unfortunately the World we live in today. The HE’s GUILTY crowd has to show to people “look at me I have high moral standards” to feel like they have some clout. They don’t care about any facts or evidence and just automatically assume guilt.

The opposite prove they just think everyone is out for money when it comes to athletes and the victim made things up.

I fall on the same side as you, let’s see what the evidence and investigation says. And maybe both sides can get competent lawyers in the process.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Nothing changes from what I said in my edit above. We’re making the decision on the basis of the prosecution alone.

You mean the plaintiff. Like I said in another reply, are you betting the recordings don’t exist? It would be remarkable if the plaintiff and accuser made up what the tapes could easily disprove.  

IMO, it’s a sure bet the tape will prove Araiza said it, which is more than enough reason to cut him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBud17 said:

This is getting attention on the national news. Makes the Buffalo community look bad. How could of the Bills even taken a shot on this guy knowing any of this? I lost a lot of respect for Beane and McDermott. Like Howard Simon said on the radio yesterday morning, I don't want to hear about Bills culture from them anymore.

I assume this is partly the reason that McDermott was so visibly upset. Unless you think that was an act.

If Matt Araiza lied to the Bills at any point, I think they release him right then and there. 

Here's one scenario.  The Bills likely have their own private security who took Matt's statement of events six weeks ago and went to investigate and largely corroborated his account.  This would explain why he is still on the team.  With pending litigation, only one side is talking which is a bad look for Matt and the Bills.    The woman has a lawyer to do her talking so there is no reason to talk to her directly.  The big problem would be that even if the Bills are confidant in what they think they know, a legal system resolution is too slow and the optics are too horrible and one sided to make patience a tenable strategy.

One version might be that she lied about her age just to fit in to the scene, consented to relations with Matt, chose to go into the house and bedroom on her own afterwards  and Matt had nothing to do with what happened thereafter.  Another version might be that Matt acted as bait, spiked her drink, and actively facilitated events to allow his friends to assault her semiconscious self.  In the latter, Matt needs to go to jail but if it were true I doubt he'd still on the team at  this point.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Not just “A ***** punter”. Araiza is the Ray Guy Award winner for being the nation’s top college punter. He is truly a phenomenal sports wonder with his never-before-seen kicking of a football. Repeat; Never-Before-Seen. The evidence made available so far shows the young woman in question wasn’t completely honest about her age at the time and level of schooling, while claiming she consented to sex with Araiza. He hasn’t been -and it is more than conceivable he won’t be- criminally charged in this purported horrendous event from 10 months ago. Should this come to pass, he WILL be punting in the NFL - for Some team..

Wow, where to begin? There’s so much wrong wrapped up here that I honestly don’t know where to start. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Why wouldn't the recordings exist?

You appeared to imply that we only know what’s in the plaintiff’s lawsuit, including the recordings. For me, if we believe allegations are an accurate description of what’s on the tape, Araiza should not be on the team. 

4 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

If Matt Araiza lied to the Bills at any point, I think they release him right then and there. 

Agree. And based on what McDermott said last night sounds like that is what happened. Two in hindsight character misevaluations in a week. That has gotta sting for Brandon. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBud17 said:

It's definitely a bad look for the Bills.  I hope the Bills can honestly say they did not know of the rape allegations when they drafted him.  I have a feeling Beane will be addressing this situation in the next few days.  Hopefully sooner than later.  This story will not go away anytime time soon.  I'd imagine Beane is going over the waiver wire and once they identify a punter they want, Araiza will be cut.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

You appeared to imply that we only know what’s in the plaintiff’s lawsuit, including the recordings. For me, if we believe allegations are an accurate description of what’s on the tape, Araiza should not be on the team. 

You seem to be implying that it's not possible for allegations from one side to be proven partially inaccurate in court.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, eball said:

Why does anyone need to “pick a side” before the facts are known?  If the facts show that Araiza had consensual sex at a college party with a girl he thought was 18 and played no part in any alleged assault, does he deserve to lose his job?

I don’t understand the need to rush to judgment.  From what I’ve read, I think both of the lawyers involved have acted pretty terribly.

I agree that this social media driven tendency to rush to judgment rather than letting the process play out is really regrettable, but there is no question that what is out there looks bad for Araiza. 

Personally I both believe that the allegations are likely proveable and that the burden still lies on the plaintiff (and / or state) to prove it and guilt or civil liability is for a real court not the court of public opinion. 

That said if, as looks likely, Araiza has lied to the Bills then he is done here in a football sense regardless of what happens later in terms of the allegations against him. 

Edited by GunnerBill