Jessica Pegula's progress in Wimbledon 2022

Fan in Chicago

Jess and Coco win the 1st set easy so far

Gauff has a chance to pull off a double this weekend as she and Jessica Pegula, who lost to Świątek in the quarterfinals in women’s singles, will go for the women’s doubles title against France’s Caroline Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic. The winning side will earn €580,000, or about $620,000.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2022/6/4/23153786/french-open-prize-money-winner-womens-tournament-iga-swiatek-vs-coco-gauff-second-place

On 6/5/2022 at 12:38 PM, Limeaid said:

Very common in WNY suburbs for tennis courts being used to play hockey in winter.

I played roller hockey on them in the spring summer and fall too. 

Even more when streets stopped being paved with the smooth tar and everything moved to asphalt. 

Edited by Mango

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

According to Wikipedia, Jessica is ranked #8 in the world as of June 6, 2022.

Since it's still June 5th where I'm located, this seems a bit magical to me.

Anyway, congrats to Jessica for cracking the Top 10!

Each new day actually starts in Greenwich, England which is 5 hours ahead of us. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

According to Wikipedia, Jessica is ranked #8 in the world as of June 6, 2022.

Since it's still June 5th where I'm located, this seems a bit magical to me.

Anyway, congrats to Jessica for cracking the Top 10!

Just a few years ago she cracked top 200 in the world. Now 8th.

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Just a few years ago she cracked top 200 in the world. Now 8th.

Her progress has indeed been nice. She lacks the firepower to make it to the top 3 or win a major but that is fine. She has maximized her abilities and thats what an athlete should strive for. I do like the consistency - that she reached the QF of both the majors this year.

19 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Very common in WNY suburbs for tennis courts being used to play hockey in winter.

In suburbs of Chicago, outdoor courts see sparing use and as such there are few which are well maintained. Quite disappointing to see the lack of interest esp among the youth. OTOH, this past winter, I did enroll in an indoor facility which had 14 courts (!!) and had difficulty finding court time on weekday evenings and weekend mornings. Which was pleasant to see as the courts were occupied by approximately 75%-25% youth-oldies 

On 6/6/2022 at 4:59 AM, sirebors said:

Each new day actually starts in Greenwich, England which is 5 hours ahead of us. 

The Greenwich Meridian Line. The centre of the world. Running right through the greatest city in the world in the greatest country in the world. Is that a coincidence?

Err... no, actually, we put it there 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

On 6/6/2022 at 8:32 AM, Fan in Chicago said:

Her progress has indeed been nice. She lacks the firepower to make it to the top 3 or win a major but that is fine. She has maximized her abilities and thats what an athlete should strive for. I do like the consistency - that she reached the QF of both the majors this year.

In suburbs of Chicago, outdoor courts see sparing use and as such there are few which are well maintained. Quite disappointing to see the lack of interest esp among the youth. OTOH, this past winter, I did enroll in an indoor facility which had 14 courts (!!) and had difficulty finding court time on weekday evenings and weekend mornings. Which was pleasant to see as the courts were occupied by approximately 75%-25% youth-oldies 

I read something on her a few weeks ago where she was described as very average but one of the most consistently average players in the world. 

I thought it was funny phrasing. She doesn't really do anything great, she isn't great, but she never whiffs an entire tournament either. She sort of always beats who she is supposed to and always loses to who she is supposed to. Hit that groove for the right stretch and you can find yourself pretty high in the rankings. 

4 hours ago, Mango said:

I read something on her a few weeks ago where she was described as very average but one of the most consistently average players in the world. 

I thought it was funny phrasing. She doesn't really do anything great, she isn't great, but she never whiffs an entire tournament either. She sort of always beats who she is supposed to and always loses to who she is supposed to. Hit that groove for the right stretch and you can find yourself pretty high in the rankings. 

I get what you're saying, but I think it's fair to say that the list of players that she's supposed to beat and supposed to lose to is changing each year, with the list of those she's supposed to lose to getting significantly smaller.

Consistently average tennis players don't get into the top 10 of the world.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I get what you're saying, but I think it's fair to say that the list of players that she's supposed to beat and supposed to lose to is changing each year, with the list of those she's supposed to lose to getting significantly smaller.

Consistently average tennis players don't get into the top 10 of the world.

Right. She’s definitely talented. 

Just now, Mango said:

Right. She’s definitely talented. 

But to your point ... there's definitely a significant gap in the level of talent between 1-2 in the world and 8-10 in the world.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mango said:

She reminds me of that old tennis player Matts Wilander.

They called him the human backboard.

Everything players hit at him he would just hit right back and frustrate the heck out of his opponents.

He was a great player.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

She reminds me of that old tennis player Matts Wilander.

They called him the human backboard.

Everything players hit at him he would just hit right back and frustrate the heck out of his opponents.

He was a great player.

I loved Wilander.  Fantastic player and that was, by far, my favorite era of tennis.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.